Search
Register
Makeshift Patriot song cut short cause of manager
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

firefly

medicineman wrote:
If he/she is pissing off the other patrons he can get shouted down by the patrons - a far better system than having 'executive privelege' over the jukebox service.

Like CRAZY said, they're both right. The bartender has the right to dictate the music but the customer should have a right to get reimbursed if they don't receive the service of the jukebox. Ultimately it's not something I would get too upset about.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:30 pm
Bob_ptmfus

firefly wrote:
medicineman wrote:
If he/she is pissing off the other patrons he can get shouted down by the patrons - a far better system than having 'executive privelege' over the jukebox service.

Like CRAZY said, they're both right. The bartender has the right to dictate the music but the customer should have a right to get reimbursed if they don't receive the service of the jukebox. Ultimately it's not something I would get too upset about.

This pretty much sums it up.

Here's an analogy that may or may not be appropriate. If a bartender thinks you've had too much to drink, he/she doesn't have to serve you. Just because you give him/her your money doesn't mean he/she has to accept it and give you a drink. By the same token, they don't need to give you your jukebox selection. Either way, they had better not keep your money though.

Obviously, the analogy is flawed in that in only one of these scenarios is personal safety a factor (unless someone takes their music views way too seriously).
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:31 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i think it sort of just boils down to etiquette, or common courtesy. an unwritten rule. depending on where you are. thinking about those around you...

you could totally play makeshift patriot at certain bars with certain crowds. i think it's just self awareness.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:20 pm
tommi teardrop

I'll give you an example. Yesterday at the bar someone played that Alanis song that is acapella for the first 3 minutes. So we're at the bar drinking, watching basketball, enjoying Christmas. And here's Alanis, belting it out about dancing in someone's shower with no accompaniment of any kind. We all look around like, "Why the fuck would you play this song, in this bar, right now?"

And we didn't even skip it. But we would have been justified in doing so. Same thing when someone wants to play Damien Rice emo shit.

Trust me, I'm the guy that wants to play my favorite rap songs at the bar all of the time. But sometimes you realize that it would just make the mood a little better if you played the Pixies or Bob Seger or something. Sometimes it is just not the right time and place to play Gimme the Loot. Sometimes it's not the right time to play Poison the Well.

I guess they technically should be required to give you your 75 cents per song back, but jesus. You'll live to fight another day.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:07 pm
box johnson

These are the rules:
1) Selections should be consistent with the bar that you're in.
2) Just because a song is available on "SuperSearch" doesn't mean you have the right to play it. Even if you pay the extra money.
3) Playing the same song twice or the same artist for three in a row is prohibited. Expand your horizons.
4) There is no irony allowed in the creation of playlists.
5) Avoid long songs, sad songs and top 40 when possible.
6) If you're spending more than $5 in a jukebox, you have a problem.
7) If you're spending less than $5 and you're really that pissed your song got skipped, you have a bigger problem, cheapass.
8) Be courteous! Most of the time they can give free credits, but won't if they feel you're just going to be a dick about it. Find common musical ground.
9) If you feel that you have been unjustly skipped, move on to a new bar. They're drunk with power, and the drinks you're buying are more expensive than the songs they took from you.
10) The bartender is always right. No refunds.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:47 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Every time I go to the bar I play me some Robbie Williams "Rock DJ". it has yet to be skipped over. sometimes I follow it up with some Tears for Fears "everybody wants to rule the world". Can we make this a ridiculous bar music thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDGkveA2ME
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 am
Tempest

All you people who love dudes that skip songs are a bunch of wimps.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:34 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Seriously. If there's a song that you paid for then they'd better let it play. If they don't want to hear certain songs that the public may choose then remove the public option.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 am
futuristxen

I've never seen a jukebox that had music more current than like 1987.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:23 am
SoSuhMe

PoetryBox wrote:
Sage fans are like jehovah witnesses, always trying to push their interest on to others. If you’re playing makeshift patriot at a bar maybe your taking the wrong message from the song. Nobody wants to hear politically charged songs while they're drinking down a pint or taking shots. Sage really doesnt make songs that you can play at a bar, there are some but the majority of his song arnt very bar friendly especially makeshift patriot. Leave your sage songs in your car or play more appropriate sage song next time.
Either dont have that song in the jukebox or dont take my money.

Last edited by SoSuhMe on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:02 am
Shinigami

box johnson wrote:
These are the rules:
2) Just because a song is available on "SuperSearch" doesn't mean you have the right to play it. Even if you pay the extra money.
3) Playing the same song twice or the same artist for three in a row is prohibited. Expand your horizons.
7) If you're spending less than $5 and you're really that pissed your song got skipped, you have a bigger problem, cheapass.
8) Be courteous! Most of the time they can give free credits, but won't if they feel you're just going to be a dick about it. Find common musical ground.
9) If you feel that you have been unjustly skipped, move on to a new bar. They're drunk with power, and the drinks you're buying are more expensive than the songs they took from you.

i agree with this.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:04 am
SoSuhMe

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:
Elorza wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:
I get that the bar in a public establishment...

The point is, though, that a bar is a private establishment; not a public one. You can order a $50 drink and get kicked out before you take your first sip. As far as it being a place of the public, similar (though not identical) logic reigns with regard to parks or buses, for example, having "No Radio" or "No Loud Music" signs. Sure you paid your (fucking ridiculous) $2.25 to get on the subway, but you're still a complete asshole when you pump that shit to 11 for your 45 minute ride and very few people will appreciate it.

I, for one, absolutely appreciate ghetto blasters blastin' in the tunnels and want nothing more than to expose the world to my worldly musical tastes at maximum volume at all times (no I'm not being sarcastic), but--for the same reason I use deodorant--I don't.

This wasn't a private club, it was a public bar. No membership, no civer, you just walk in a pay for foof or drinks. I get that someone can can be kicked out after ordering a $50 dollar drink, but when someone gets kicker 9 out of 10 the deserve it. All I did was play a song. The jukebox is there so people can show what music they like and prefer, so that's what I did. When all the songs got skipped that pissed me off. Others were playing metal, country and classic rock. I don't like Metallica, but when someone puts them on I don't go ask to get it skipped. Everybody has different opinion and are entitled to those opinions. If this was a private club I would be more understanding, but its a public place, to me there's a difference.

that is not a public establishment it is a privately owned one. all privately owned establishments reserve the right to do pretty much whatever they want.

just cuz the public shows up doesn't make it public. you just don't know the difference. private means owned by a private citizen and public means owned by the tax payers.

Then why in the fuck can the state of michigan tell all the bars that smoking is now prohibited? If they are private they should have a choice in the matter.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

SoSuhMe wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:
Elorza wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:
I get that the bar in a public establishment...

The point is, though, that a bar is a private establishment; not a public one. You can order a $50 drink and get kicked out before you take your first sip. As far as it being a place of the public, similar (though not identical) logic reigns with regard to parks or buses, for example, having "No Radio" or "No Loud Music" signs. Sure you paid your (fucking ridiculous) $2.25 to get on the subway, but you're still a complete asshole when you pump that shit to 11 for your 45 minute ride and very few people will appreciate it.

I, for one, absolutely appreciate ghetto blasters blastin' in the tunnels and want nothing more than to expose the world to my worldly musical tastes at maximum volume at all times (no I'm not being sarcastic), but--for the same reason I use deodorant--I don't.

This wasn't a private club, it was a public bar. No membership, no civer, you just walk in a pay for foof or drinks. I get that someone can can be kicked out after ordering a $50 dollar drink, but when someone gets kicker 9 out of 10 the deserve it. All I did was play a song. The jukebox is there so people can show what music they like and prefer, so that's what I did. When all the songs got skipped that pissed me off. Others were playing metal, country and classic rock. I don't like Metallica, but when someone puts them on I don't go ask to get it skipped. Everybody has different opinion and are entitled to those opinions. If this was a private club I would be more understanding, but its a public place, to me there's a difference.

that is not a public establishment it is a privately owned one. all privately owned establishments reserve the right to do pretty much whatever they want.

just cuz the public shows up doesn't make it public. you just don't know the difference. private means owned by a private citizen and public means owned by the tax payers.

Then why in the fuck can the state of michigan tell all the bars that smoking is now prohibited? If they are private they should have a choice in the matter.

private citizens are still affected by state and federal laws in privately owned places in the general public. that is why i can not spark a big doobie at my local dive bar even tho everyone is packin including the hippy dippy ass bartender.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I'm pretty sure we've already had a lengthy discussion on here about many states passing laws about smoking in bars.

I for one, am super happy I can actually go out to socialize and breath.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:35 pm
OM3N

box johnson wrote:
These are the rules:

this pretty much sums up the situation if there is a jukebox.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next