Search
Register
Makeshift Patriot song cut short cause of manager
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

medicineman
HALFLING

tommi teardrop wrote:
People that frequent bars with downloadable jukeboxes understand that there is a delicate art to selecting songs at the jukebox. You pick songs that fit the mood of the bar. If you think it's cool to play the locust or cannibal corpse on a Tuesday night, your shit is going to get skipped. If you pick 36 mafia and the bar is full of conservative regulars, you're shit is going to get skipped.

With all due respect, sir, that's retarded. They wanna have songs that fit the mood of the bar they can have an old school jukebox and put CDs in there that fit the mood of the bar. But pissing off the bar is a pretty significant percentage of what jukeboxes are all about, IMHO. It's not a democratic system. It is a pay-a-ludicrous-amount-per-minute-to-hear-what-you-want-to-hear system. If you do that then by god you should be able to. The other tools in there wanna one-up you by ponying up five to hit the "hear now" button or whatever, that's a whole nother ballgame. Nixing peoples songs though, is totally beyond the pale in my world of bar morality.

Last edited by medicineman on Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:58 am
PoetryBox

You guys think its your god-given right to play whatever song you want cause you dished out some change for it. As much has you think its your right to play whatever song the bartender also has the right to shut your song down if they want too. You dont like the service in that bar? you get the fuck out and go to the next one. That jukebox isnt a right, its a privilege.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:09 am
deboma

i always play die antwoord & tom waits at the bar i go to if i'm there on a night they have the juke box on

also, i spend too much time in that bar & another one. & i can say i've never ever heard anyone give a shit about what's on the juke box.
if its a song they like, they'll sing along or get up and dance or whatever. but generally no one pays attention too it, unless its in a positive light
the bartenders/manager people are generally too busy making drinks or whatever to try to control what's going on with the juke box. plus the song will be over in a minute or two anyway so who cares eh?
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:10 am
medicineman
HALFLING

PoetryBox wrote:
You guys think its your god-given right to play whatever song you want cause you dished out some change for it. As much has you think its your right to play whatever song the bartender also has the right to shut your song down if they want too. You dont like the service in that bar? you get the fuck out and go to the next one. That jukebox isnt a right, its a privilege.

Why? It's not his bar OR his jukebox. The bartender is just some other tool in there. WHO I AM ALSO PAYING. Jukebox != bar service
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:13 am
medicineman
HALFLING

But yes, the first sentence is exactly what I think. You offer a service for money, it doesn't fall to some random fuck's sole discretion to choose to withdraw that service without recompensation because they don't like the service you selected and paid for. That is stealing.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 am
deboma

6 dollars for a shot of premium tequila. now that's stealing
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:35 am
mzehe916

I have always been a fan of "jukebox bombing". Load up 5 dollars worth of Brittany, celine, cher, and maybe some bsb....then finish your drink or two and roll out after the first song is played. You have to stay for the entire first song in case you need to protest any premature skipping of the first song.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:07 am
firefly

medicineman wrote:
PoetryBox wrote:

Why? It's not his bar OR his jukebox. The bartender is just some other tool in there. WHO I AM ALSO PAYING. Jukebox != bar service

Umm, excuse me but even if the bartender doesn't own the bar it's still his/her responsibility to look after. One of the most important things when bartending (especially in small ones where you'll the only one) is making sure that people are enjoying themselves so they stay, buy more drinks and hopefully come back again. Part of this task involves selecting music to create a mood.

The way the manager unplugged the machine might have been a little rude but imagine how many rude obnoxious people bar staff have to deal with, they don't have time/energy to politely explain why they didn't want your song playing at their bar. They gave the OP his wings for free, what else do you want?

I can't believe this argument is actually happening. People do realize that bars are PRIVATE establishments right? Do you understand the risks of opening a bar? Rent has to get paid, staff need to get paid. You have to make sure your bar has a happy vibe and that people are enjoying themselves. I Love Makeshift Patriot as much as the next guy but it's not Happy/party atmosphere music. Depending on the bar, I might have done the same as the manager. Although, when I worked at a bar I would play political songs at times but it depended on certain circumstances. I even played "Dead Sober" once which was pretty funny considering the lyrics.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:49 am
b.Freyer

I get that the bar in a public establishment, but when you have an open jukebox that people pay to play songs, I feel the songs paid for should get played. Jukeboxes that able to search and download from a database of artists and songs, if there's one that the manager doesn't like or feel should be played, then all means delete them. It should be that simple.

As stated in a comment about to choose better bar type songs by Sage, I did that too. But when all the songs got skipped over, it pissed me off. I also picked some Atmosphere songs. I just wanted to vent my frustration out. Skipping the one song is looked down upon, but acceptable, skipping all the songs isn't. There was no sign stating that someone, manager/bartender can skip what they feel.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 am
Elorza

b.Freyer wrote:
I get that the bar in a public establishment...

The point is, though, that a bar is a private establishment; not a public one. You can order a $50 drink and get kicked out before you take your first sip. As far as it being a place of the public, similar (though not identical) logic reigns with regard to parks or buses, for example, having "No Radio" or "No Loud Music" signs. Sure you paid your (fucking ridiculous) $2.25 to get on the subway, but you're still a complete asshole when you pump that shit to 11 for your 45 minute ride and very few people will appreciate it.

I, for one, absolutely appreciate ghetto blasters blastin' in the tunnels and want nothing more than to expose the world to my worldly musical tastes at maximum volume at all times (no I'm not being sarcastic), but--for the same reason I use deodorant--I don't.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:34 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

firefly wrote:
medicineman wrote:
PoetryBox wrote:

Umm, excuse me but even if the bartender doesn't own the bar it's still his/her responsibility to look after. One of the most important things when bartending (especially in small ones where you'll the only one) is making sure that people are enjoying themselves so they stay, buy more drinks and hopefully come back again. Part of this task involves selecting music to create a mood.

The way the manager unplugged the machine might have been a little rude but imagine how many rude obnoxious people bar staff have to deal with, they don't have time/energy to politely explain why they didn't want your song playing at their bar. They gave the OP his wings for free, what else do you want?

I can't believe this argument is actually happening. People do realize that bars are PRIVATE establishments right? Do you understand the risks of opening a bar? Rent has to get paid, staff need to get paid. You have to make sure your bar has a happy vibe and that people are enjoying themselves. I Love Makeshift Patriot as much as the next guy but it's not Happy/party atmosphere music. Depending on the bar, I might have done the same as the manager. Although, when I worked at a bar I would play political songs at times but it depended on certain circumstances. I even played "Dead Sober" once which was pretty funny considering the lyrics.

No, I am the one who can't believe this argument is actually happening. You act like I've never worked in a bar when its what I've done for half my working life. You offer the service of a jukebox, you allow the people to pick and choose what they want to play. That is all sir! If he/she is pissing off the other patrons he can get shouted down by the patrons - a far better system than having 'executive privelege' over the jukebox service.

Elorza wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:

The point is, though, that a bar is a private establishment; not a public one. You can order a $50 drink and get kicked out before you take your first sip.

Right, but you shouldn't, and if that happened without a pretty damn good reason it would be absurd and wrong. The question is not about whether or not the establishment is within their rights legally, it's about whether it's okay to do, which is a different question. The reason your subway example is not valid is because subway cars do not come equipped with pay-for-play ghetto blasters...if they did, I would think people would expect to receive the service they paid for.

Last edited by medicineman on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:00 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

dp
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:08 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

one time i was drinking whiskey at a dive in uptown with an old school juke. i threw a couple dollars on and picked all johnny cash, merle haggard and waylon jennings type stuff, outlaw country. maybe eight songs in a row.

anyways if i was more sober i would have varied up the selection from song to song but when i'm fuckin' drunk i get country music tunnel vision.

after two or three songs, one of my friends, a server, went over and unplugged the jukebox and i was pretty much just like " dude, what? why is it in there if i can't play it? " he told me that i should have chosen such and such artist that people in the bar would like, and my response was pretty much that i wasn't a dj, and that if other people wanted to hear the music they liked they should put money in the box...but at the same time i knew you dont play like 8 willie nelson songs in a row and expect people to not get pissy if they didnt like it.

i didnt get super mad or whatever i just figured he was in the right and i was in the right so it was a moot point. he brought me a beer for free, then picked some more songs out of the juke, while asking me if i had a pick...

anyways i had access to play that shit and they had access to it to turn it off, so i was just like meh. i made sure not to make the same mistake again :)

you live and you learn

Last edited by C.R.A.Z.Y on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:13 pm
b.Freyer

Elorza wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:

The point is, though, that a bar is a private establishment; not a public one. You can order a $50 drink and get kicked out before you take your first sip. As far as it being a place of the public, similar (though not identical) logic reigns with regard to parks or buses, for example, having "No Radio" or "No Loud Music" signs. Sure you paid your (fucking ridiculous) $2.25 to get on the subway, but you're still a complete asshole when you pump that shit to 11 for your 45 minute ride and very few people will appreciate it.

I, for one, absolutely appreciate ghetto blasters blastin' in the tunnels and want nothing more than to expose the world to my worldly musical tastes at maximum volume at all times (no I'm not being sarcastic), but--for the same reason I use deodorant--I don't.

This wasn't a private club, it was a public bar. No membership, no civer, you just walk in a pay for foof or drinks. I get that someone can can be kicked out after ordering a $50 dollar drink, but when someone gets kicker 9 out of 10 the deserve it. All I did was play a song. The jukebox is there so people can show what music they like and prefer, so that's what I did. When all the songs got skipped that pissed me off. Others were playing metal, country and classic rock. I don't like Metallica, but when someone puts them on I don't go ask to get it skipped. Everybody has different opinion and are entitled to those opinions. If this was a private club I would be more understanding, but its a public place, to me there's a difference.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:14 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

b.Freyer wrote:
Elorza wrote:
b.Freyer wrote:

This wasn't a private club, it was a public bar. No membership, no civer, you just walk in a pay for foof or drinks. I get that someone can can be kicked out after ordering a $50 dollar drink, but when someone gets kicker 9 out of 10 the deserve it. All I did was play a song. The jukebox is there so people can show what music they like and prefer, so that's what I did. When all the songs got skipped that pissed me off. Others were playing metal, country and classic rock. I don't like Metallica, but when someone puts them on I don't go ask to get it skipped. Everybody has different opinion and are entitled to those opinions. If this was a private club I would be more understanding, but its a public place, to me there's a difference.

that is not a public establishment it is a privately owned one. all privately owned establishments reserve the right to do pretty much whatever they want.

just cuz the public shows up doesn't make it public. you just don't know the difference. private means owned by a private citizen and public means owned by the tax payers.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next