Search
Register
Makeshift Patriot song cut short cause of manager
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

b.Freyer

Makeshift Patriot song cut short cause of manager  Reply with quote  

Thought I would share this with all the Sage Francis fans ......

I was at a local bar a few days back, and I decided to play some songs on the jukebox, with the choice of songs being played I decided to play my own choice of songs. Being that the jukebox was one that you can do a search, I searched for Sage, and picked some songs. First song played wad Got Up This Morning, then came up next was Makeshift Patriot. With in like 30 some seconds the manager went up to the jukebox, did something and the next song came up, but wasn't my choice. He skipped all my songs that I chose to play. I did ask to speak to him to get my money back or get compensated for my money. I spoke with the bartender, and she told me that the manager was "busy", after tellin her what the problem was, I let her know that I wanted my money back or the wings that I ordered for free, since it was about the same amount. Needless to say, I got the wings free. I will not be going back to this bar. Part of me wants to go back, put a $20 in and just play it over and over, but I won't lol.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:01 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

It happened to me when I found UYI on a jukebox once and played Get In The Ring....
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:56 pm
PoetryBox

Sage fans are like jehovah witnesses, always trying to push their interest on to others. If you’re playing makeshift patriot at a bar maybe your taking the wrong message from the song. Nobody wants to hear politically charged songs while they're drinking down a pint or taking shots. Sage really doesnt make songs that you can play at a bar, there are some but the majority of his song arnt very bar friendly especially makeshift patriot. Leave your sage songs in your car or play more appropriate sage song next time.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:22 pm
Sarcastro

you should've played Sea Lion, Sea Lion is a good song, everyone loves it
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:55 pm
b.Freyer

PoetryBox wrote:
Sage fans are like jehovah witnesses, always trying to push their interest on to others. If you’re playing makeshift patriot at a bar maybe your taking the wrong message from the song. Nobody wants to hear politically charged songs while they're drinking down a pint or taking shots. Sage really doesnt make songs that you can play at a bar, there are some but the majority of his song arnt very bar friendly especially makeshift patriot. Leave your sage songs in your car or play more appropriate sage song next time.

I wanted to hear the songs that I wanted to hear that's why I played it. I wasn't too worried about other opinions at that time.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:25 pm
Dr Sagacious

Here's a trick, instead of Sage jukin' up that bar, do this:

Play Tom Jones' smash hit "It's Not Unusual" four or five times on loop. The second time the song plays, people will wonder, "Damn, this is a long Tom Jones song." By the third, maybe fourth time they'll wonder who wants to repeat that damn song. The fifth time, they'll think, "What the fuck? Am I on acid? What is this?"

And then you slide in with "What's New Pussycat" real smooth, and watch their sphincters pucker up. And then, back to "It's Not Unusual". You will have officially won life.

Problem, drunks?

Last edited by Dr Sagacious on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:35 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

At the Fox Head here in Iowa City (supposedly cool writers' hangout - actually totally hipsterfuck shithole) I played some music on the jukebox, I don't even remember what, and some fucking fakeglasses stripeshirt came over and unplugged the jukebox and plugged it back in so it forgot my songs. Goddamn, I hate hipsters.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:36 pm
Brynjar

You asked for this in my opinion. You aren't the only one in the bar (I assume) and can't just play a song like Makeshift Patriot expecting that everybody will like it or not to say anything about it if they hate it. You gotta find a middleground, ofcourse you can't please everybody but c'mon. If you gotta play a Sage song at a bar I think Jah didn't kill Johnny would be my pick.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:02 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

was this a sports bar?
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:39 pm
tommi teardrop

Usually those jukeboxes have a sign above them that explains how the bar reserves the right to skip any songs. This is because people come in and play death metal or aphex twin just to be assholes. The manager probly didn't like rap music or got complaints last time someone played rich boy.

My lady is a bartender and we skip Dave Mathews Band on the regular.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:47 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

tommi teardrop wrote:
Usually those jukeboxes have a sign above them that explains how the bar reserves the right to skip any songs. .

I have never seen a sign like that in all the dozens and hundreds of bars I've been in. Personally I think it's pretty absurd for the bar employees or anybody at all to have 'veto' power on it, I mean, everybody thinks some kind of music is obnoxious, but the jukebox is there for a reason...so people can pay for the privilege of listening to whatever music they want to. If that's not the case why have one.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:22 pm
meta4

What the hell is up with all of you defending the bartender and other people "sensitive" taste in music?

Its a fucking jukebox, it has the ability to pick the song you want, for the money you paid... That's how it works right? Fuck what other people think, they didn't pay shit. If that's not cool because someone doesn't like the song, or the tone of the song, get rid of the fucking juke box.

The fucking squeaky wheel gets the most oil mentality kills me.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:23 pm
Raoul DeGroot

I bet you really dig Ron Paul too.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:32 pm
tommi teardrop

People that frequent bars with downloadable jukeboxes understand that there is a delicate art to selecting songs at the jukebox. You pick songs that fit the mood of the bar. If you think it's cool to play the locust or cannibal corpse on a Tuesday night, your shit is going to get skipped. If you pick 36 mafia and the bar is full of conservative regulars, you're shit is going to get skipped.

The jukebox is not the place to pick your favorite niche songs or expose people to your exotic taste in music. Just play Black Betty and we all have fun.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:50 pm
Tempest

If it's free then the bar can do what they want but if you're paying money then fuck that shit, they better let you play your song.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:33 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next