Search
Register
"Real Gs move in silence...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

note1

"Real Gs move in silence...  Reply with quote  

...like lasagna,”

Line of the year or phonetically incorrect? Let there be no gray area here. Choose a side!

Also I'm ashamed to admit I didn't catch this on my first couple of listens to this song, which is basically "A Millie" part2.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/lil-wayne-line-sparks-lasagnagate,49206/

Quote:

Lil Wayne’s coronation as a trustworthy heroin brand aside, it’s the recently released Tha Carter IV preview single “6’7” that’s had most people slinging “dope” (apologies)—in particular the line “Real Gs move in silence like lasagna,” which is the sort of lyric that immediately leaps out not only for its clever wordplay, but for working the word “lasagna” into a hip-hop song. However, while people like rapper Joe Budden (“silly, but really dope”) to BET producer Carl Chery (“pretty dope”) have already sung its praises, it seems not everyone’s into it: It makes Questlove feel old, for example, while various hip-hop blogs and commenters have deemed it a “dope idea, poor execution”—chiefly because, as some have argued, the “G” in “lasagna” isn’t really silent.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What a wonderful thing to report on and write an article about.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:23 pm
note1

So you're not feeling the line and/or the little discusion about it? I dunno I can dig the nerd factor at work here. This is bascially what the blogosphere (sorry for using that word) does I guess.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:31 pm
FuseONE

Lil Wayne has many lines of this variety. I feel bad for people who don't get him.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:51 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

silent but deadly

watch out for italian brown cloud

may not be able to hear the g but when its time to poo you'll get a lil clue

then what

better run

run from the lasagna

garfield is watching
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm
remind

Man, I so used "lasagna" in a hip hop song first. This is bullshit!
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm
laurapalmer

God damn. Are we really such uneducated and stupid motherfuckers that people are trying to argue that the g in lasagna is a silent g? Silent letters are really silent, that is, they don't contribute ANY sound to the word's pronunciation. The g in fucking lasagna does contribute to the pronunciation, creating the ny sound. Not only does wayne not get that, the av club post doesn't get it either. They start off ok, then backpedal and say this: "But still, that doesn’t mean Lil Wayne is wrong, as there’s clearly no “G” sound in the word’s pronunciation—so he should get off on a technicality here."

Actually, yes, yes you shitty fucking blog he is wrong, and there is a g sound in the fucking word, it just happens to not be the g sound you were looking for evidently.

I didn't even understand the line and was trying to figure out what lasagna was a reference too until I read the blurb and realized lil wayne was just dumb and really meant lasagna.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:51 pm
Elorza

Seems sound for an avclub blurb. But seriously, since when are punchlines expected to be tautological and/or flawless in their logic? You hear the line, you chuckle or you don't, and round and round we go. Or, when you're chillin with the brosephs and someone breaks out the line you're that individual who says "Well actually pallies, the 'g' in lasagna'..."

Some of us choose the left hand path, some of us right out the crack vial to the golden gate.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 pm
pugg

I missed that lasagna line. Well, I did hear him say "lasagna" and was hoping it was going to be a Garfield reference. But I didn't hear "Garfield". A little disappointed.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

that red dot on yo forehead is not cause you arabian
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:44 pm
futuristxen

I think it's hysterical that Garfield is a fat cat that eats lasagna. Of all of the foods for a cat to like, lasagna is by far the funniest. Jim Davis, my cap is doffed to you, sir.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm
kese

I used to work with this guy that had a pet rat named Bandit. Bandit liked lasagna, but not regular lasagna, he liked Alaskan Lasagna. Alaskan lasagna is made with American cheese.
One day he came in with a t-shirt with a picture of Bandit eating Alaskan lasagna on it.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Disharmony

futuristxen wrote:
I think it's hysterical that Garfield is a fat cat that eats lasagna. Of all of the foods for a cat to like, lasagna is by far the funniest. Jim Davis, my cap is doffed to you, sir.
Wasn't he suppose to be Italian? Thus explaining his affinity for lasagna.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:10 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Well.. Cats like milk.. even though it gives most of 'em irritable bowels.
Ricotta, one of the main ingredients of lasagna, is basically boiled milk with acid thrown in..

And lasagna is also browned ground beef.. another thing cats crave (cats can't live without red meat or fish cuz they need creatine)..

So it's not really that far fetched..

Back when I was a kid, I fell asleep drunk once with two unwrapped uneaten tacos on the coffee table.. the next morning i woke up to a couple empty corn shells and wrappers,,

and i like the Weezy line...
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:21 pm
X the Outsider

I'm not feeling the line. I don't get it, but I don't get Lil' Wayne either.
Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next