Register
HAPPY HOLIDAYS - "And Some Batteries"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

HAPPY HOLIDAYS - "And Some Batteries"  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis "And Some Batteries" by Strange Famous Records

During the Christmas of 1982 my parents put a tape recorder on the floor, pressed the record button and let it run as I opened gifts. The gifts ranged from an electronic noise machine to an E.T. card game (hey, it’s better than the E.T. Atari game.) Recently, as I was going through my tape collection, I found this recording and discovered that it provided me a zip-line to a time when Christmas was magical and batteries were in high demand. I edited the audio and placed it over some ambient music provided by Ben Kordus.

2010 was brutal for almost everyone I know. There’s been a lot of loss, struggle and change. That’s not to say that 2010 didn’t have its beautiful moments as well. It certain did, and I’m glad to have shared those moments with people I care about. Let’s all plan on having a happy and successful 2011 by taking better care of ourselves while looking out for each other.

All the best,
Uncle Sage

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 am
Disharmony

Yes, 2010 was a pretty crazy year for me. I got to meet death, turns out he's not big on conversation. I miss my mother, but it helped put some things into perspective.

I wish you all luck over the holidays. Here's to a better new year.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:04 am
Szechwan

That was a bit too eerie for me to completely listen to. I feel like there's ghosts in my room.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 am
Buddy Peace

It's weird, this has been resonating with me since I heard it but half an hour ago. You just can't beat tape recordings for punching me in the gut with family memories. It's like at the end of 'The Baby Stays' - I don't know what it does but it triggers something in me really powerful. I had to crack it open just now actually, gotta hear it again. Damn, Sage. Ace job.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Good ear, sir. The recording at the end of "The Baby Stays" comes from the same exact tape I got this "And the Batteries" audio from.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:44 am
futuristxen

This is really good stuff. It's one of those "could loop forever" tracks.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:00 am
iammessage

Damn that's a lot of concern about batteries. Ha. Nah, I don't know how you do this stuff man. Glad u did, cuz I enjoyed listening, but editing and listening to that over and over had to stir some shit up. If I watch any of the tapes of me with my mom and sister from that age I go into a black hole for a week. Oh and fuck 2010 and 2011 is already shaping up to be painful, im looking into some new things to keep me busy, bought a guitar and keyboard...hope they can be a good distraction. I also appreciate this forum, I might not post in everything but I read just about everything and that helps distract the discomforts of the day for awhile.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

That was both preciously cute and bittersweetly painful... the things we could accomplish if we could harness the magic in those years. Everything was possible, nothing was out of reach.

The ups and downs in 2010 for me were equal. As low as it got wading through the stinky muck of death and sickness, I also rode on the backs of giants (literally... this guy was 7'+) and touched marshmallow clouds.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

2010:

Twin girls! Never even thought about having twins, but here they are. Beautiful babies. Older brother is very good with them as well.

My best friend got hit by a car while riding his bicycle. We weren't sure he was going to live. He was out for about three weeks. Woke up, and within another week was out of the hospital and played a show with his band. He's got some short term memory issues, and some brain damage that we don't know the consequences of at this point, but overall is doing great. Going out to see him in a couple weeks.

Collected just over $100,000 from foreclosure rescue scammers that went directly to the victims. Some of them just got there money last month, which made for a festive holiday season for them.

Turned down a great job offer in DC. Figured we couldn't take the risk of our house here not selling, which would leave us in a bad place. Would have loved the job / the chance to live in DC.

Crazy year.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:35 am
redball

Having a kid is an exercise in either buying batteries or going out of your way to avoid battery operated things. It seems that every toy these days takes batteries, so do most things for children. Everything just has to make noise and move around. It's a pain in the ass. Why do stuffed animals need batteries damnit? And board games, why not include a power adapter?
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm
phataccino

redball wrote:
Having a kid is an exercise in either buying batteries or going out of your way to avoid battery operated things. It seems that every toy these days takes batteries, so do most things for children. Everything just has to make noise and move around. It's a pain in the ass. Why do stuffed animals need batteries damnit? And board games, why not include a power adapter?

And it's always fucking C batteries. The only size that nobody ever has anywhere in the house. And it's never easy to change the batteries either. You have to find some secret compartment, then get an odd size of a star-shaped screwdriver or some shit. I'm definitely in the "go out of my way to avoid battery-operated things" category.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 pm
Confidential

Nice recording, this actually captures the vibe i get around the holidays pretty well.

From January 2009 through 2010 was actually pretty harsh for me. A two year slump of general despair and falling like a plinko chip. From the second half of this year life is starting to get a sense of rhythm again, I've grown into myself, learned a lot about what I can do, what kind of people I want to be around, what kind of person I want to be. Now I'm just sitting with these last few weeks of the year, feeling pretty good that I managed to grow into a better person despite all the difficulties. One thing I noticed that has changed is that now even when I do get bouts of melancholy, i try not to put it on others who are around me.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:50 pm
Mikal kHill

Finally came back from Layoff in March.
Did shows with a lot of my favorite artists over the summer.
Laura got pregnant.
Changed our lineup.
Put out an EP a month later that fades our old material.
Found out we're playing an official showcase at SXSW.
Found out we may have some complications with the pregnancy.

Extremes.

The past two years, in a lot of ways, have been pretty awful. High highs and low lows.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm
Alias@anticon.com

hell yeah. I got a few tapes like this. lots of my grandmother reading to me. lots of my sister and i singing songs together. I love this kind of thing...

lots of shitty stuff happened to alot of my friends this year, but 2010 has been pretty smooth for me. I think I got my fill of shittiness in 2005/2006 to last me a while.

alotta cool stuff happened this year (including seeing how people reacted to Fallen House, Sunken City), but easily the coolest thing was the birth of my daughter, Aiko. Life altering stuff. sounds cliche, but it's easily the coolest thing I've ever been a part of.

she and I hang out on Saturday mornings and watch Food Network. it's my favorite part of the week.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:00 pm
Mikal kHill

Cute!
Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next