Search
Register
WALMART joins DEPT. HOMELAND SECURITY
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

Z-0 wrote:
crash wrote:
Confidential wrote:
I remember this campaign from riding the amtrak/metro. It's nothing substantial, just another symbolic PR gesture encouraging snitch culture.

snitch culture? you wouldn't snitch on a terrorist?

the times square bomb plot was foiled when a street vendor noticed a suspicious vehicle and notified a cop.

i'm sure there are plenty of bullshit involved - people "saying something" after they notice a brown guy with a beard - but this isn't a pointless program.

it still a concern that people are being encouraged to make and to voice security complaints and concerns regarding other citizens to a company that has nothing to do with "law and order". oh crap i cant get a loan, someone complained to walmart about their fears that i am a terrorist, now i'm black listed.

i'd like to know what devices are in place to guarentee the security of the information taken about citizens, and what their rights are to guarentee any information gained by walmart is not kept or sold once any allegations are resolved. or more importantly in terms of distribution, before they're resolved.

i'm not saying this program is going to do much good at walmart, just that it has it's place. i think looking at it as part of a "snitch culture" is overly simplistic.

yes the media and government do a great job of keeping us afraid, but i don't think that fear and vigilance are at a one to one ratio. we can keep an eye out without being paranoid. i haven't been to israel but the impression i get is that people over there go about their daily lives and don't live in constant fear of a bombing. however, they are obviously pretty vigilant about it. (of course, their foreign policy is quite paranoid).
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:03 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

That dame you winked at just MIGHT be a commie spy.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 am
Confidential

crash wrote:
Z-0 wrote:
crash wrote:
Confidential wrote:
I remember this campaign from riding the amtrak/metro. It's nothing substantial, just another symbolic PR gesture encouraging snitch culture.

snitch culture? you wouldn't snitch on a terrorist?

the times square bomb plot was foiled when a street vendor noticed a suspicious vehicle and notified a cop.

i'm sure there are plenty of bullshit involved - people "saying something" after they notice a brown guy with a beard - but this isn't a pointless program.

it still a concern that people are being encouraged to make and to voice security complaints and concerns regarding other citizens to a company that has nothing to do with "law and order". oh crap i cant get a loan, someone complained to walmart about their fears that i am a terrorist, now i'm black listed.

i'd like to know what devices are in place to guarentee the security of the information taken about citizens, and what their rights are to guarentee any information gained by walmart is not kept or sold once any allegations are resolved. or more importantly in terms of distribution, before they're resolved.

i'm not saying this program is going to do much good at walmart, just that it has it's place. i think looking at it as part of a "snitch culture" is overly simplistic.

yes the media and government do a great job of keeping us afraid, but i don't think that fear and vigilance are at a one to one ratio. we can keep an eye out without being paranoid. i haven't been to israel but the impression i get is that people over there go about their daily lives and don't live in constant fear of a bombing. however, they are obviously pretty vigilant about it. (of course, their foreign policy is quite paranoid).

Overly simplistic? Perhaps. That was partly my point, is that this doesn't offer any tangible intervention into terrorism, as far as I'm concerned, and I was trying to avoid giving this more moral outrage than its worth. Personally, I don't give a fuck if someone shoplifts from Wal-Mart and i probably wouldn't say something. And I don't think this does much beyond remind people who are going about their lives that their life is in danger. Wait, isn't terrorism successful precisely because those who use it aren't acting suspicious? Could be my anti-authoritarian tendencies, but I'm resistant to the whole terrorism narrative in the first place- trying not to let my government define what I should be afraid of, trying not to live in a world that relies on law enforcement to give me comfort in walking in public.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 pm
PoetryBox

This is a bit disturbing. The government giving authority to "look out" or "spy" on citizens to a retail company. Having different corporations helping out with security of citizens is only gonna end up badly. Seem more to monitor people then to actually find terrorists.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm
SoSuhMe

588 stores in 27 states? Wow. Im glad wal-mart is using their resources for good.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2