Search
Register
cartoon pictures to help kids who are the victims of violenc
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dr Sagacious

It's interesting how people who disagree with this are often painted as bad people, who don't do shit towards the betterment of their community. You people are so wound up in this cartoon bullshit because it "started" "conversations", but you're too busy stroking your dicks to realize that something better could've been done using the same exact resources.

That's what the "naysayer" "negative nancies" are saying. Jeez, this whole event has been an eye-opener on how much people fucking suck.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 pm
Jesse Custer

This guy won't wear a ribbon!
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:24 pm
X the Outsider

Mac Lethal wrote:
BillyDistro wrote:
"To everyone who changed their profile pictures to a cartoon character to "raise awareness for child abuse", Sebastian and I are putting together a show in January to raise money for a charity involving children. I challenge all of you to make it out to the show and donate.
This is a way for you to prove you don't partake in "Slacktivism" -- taking a stab at activism for a cause, but in a very lazy way."

^Thats from someone I know on Facebook. People ARE doing something and not just treating it like nothing. Yes many people are just treating it like a fad and many have uploaded a cartoon character not knowing why until they are told that's the reason.

However, there are people being active and not just treating it like bullshit. The negativity on here and basic bitching "Oh wah no one is gonna do shit" is just old, tiresome and it makes this forum boring and is one of the leading reasons this forum is basically dying anyway. Maybe I'm the cynical one now but the negativity is just fucking old.

Pretty on point right here.

People are so quick to reject something the masses are involved with. We get it, you guys are so much more active, and so much more genuine, and when you fight for a cause you go leaps and bounds beyond what some varsity cheerleader at your old high-school would be capable of, to fight for a cause. Fuck fake activists! You trendy, empty, meaningless pieces of shit!

I used to have that same attitude. That I had a much deeper understanding of the world's horrors than the mass populous had, and whenever someone without a passionate political agenda tried to be a part of something positive, it was completely empty and shallow.

That attitude is bullshit though. It's also self-righteous, arrogant, and a little telling about one's self-contentment.

This has started a whirlwind of conversation on FB, and honestly, I would be willing to bet there has been at least 1 productive confrontation within the confines of an abusive family because of this, maybe a lot more. So we were successful, right? Every little bit helps. You can't be better at doing positive things than other people. We all have the same goal in mind.

Just because you throw a concert (which is also self-promoting your music, band, etc. etc.) and raise a little money, you are offering no more assistance to the prevention of child abuse than anyone else. In fact, money is silent. So the entire world changing their default FB pictures may help a little more, because it gets people talking and riled up. Money cannot prevent child abuse. But confrontation and discussion can. At least in a very small way.

Silently ask yourself, what have you actually done to be a positive member of society? Silently answer as well.

100% on the point.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:03 pm
selfworth

apparently it's going around FB that this whole thing was started by a bunch pedos trying to perpetrate on liitle kids on FB, and they are asking people not to use the cartoon pictures for your account
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm
outpatient

do you really have to be a productive and charitable member of society to argue that changing your facebook picture to top cat doesn't accomplish much? really? really, people?

in honour of bullshit week, I've decided to change my profile picture to dolph lundgren wearing a bow tie. this raises awareness for all the jizz in your mother's anuses
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 pm
Mikal kHill

Someone on my facebook friends that went to high school with me posted this:

ALERT:Apparently the group asking everyone to change their profile
picture to their favorite cartoon is actually a group of pedophiles.
They're doing it because kids will accept their friend request if they
see a cartoon. Nothing to do with supporting child violence. It was on
that TV show ...that warns you about internet frauds. It's... on Tonights
News. Pass this on.

Hilarious.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:59 pm
X the Outsider

Yeah I saw that too. I'm going to keep count of how many people change their pictures now.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 pm
PoetryBox

Oh those pedos and their cleverness. This whole cartoon thing is ridiculous and not because its something the masses do its because it doesnt create awareness, at least not enough to make people act on it. If people want others to know about child abuse post a picture of a kid with a black eye and not one of your lame cartoons that made you nostalgic.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 pm
PoetryBox

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm
McTools

Dr Sagacious wrote:
McTools wrote:
It took me all of 1.5 minutes to do it. I didn't save any one, but it's the most I've done for the subject all year. Probably the most I've talked about it all year too. It's like once a year when I see a AIDS add, and I get to go, "Oh ya, AIDS is still out there killing people, buy some jimmy's.", it doesn't cure any one, but it keeps it in the thought process. I don't see any thing wrong or empty about that, it would be interesting to know who started it though...

And thus, this is where they Narcissism comes into play. Doing nothing at all, yet you feel better because of it. You know who doesn't feel better? Abused children don't feel better.

Those dudes who are doing a show for child abuse in response to this "slacktivism" are doing something, but you people with your profile pictures aren't. Don't pretend you're doing something, or raising awareness. Most people are aware of child abuse, and if they aren't aware of the sites where you can donate, then put them babies up as your profile picture or your status every hour.

I've done fund raisers for years, I've raised tens of thousands of dollars for many different interests and different groups. I've raised funds to build orphanages for homeless children in Russia after the wall fell, I've helped raise funds to send doctors and farmers to Chiapas to educate the natives there, I raised almost 100K to help establish, monitor, and prevent the trafficing of child sex slaves in and out of India, believe me, changing my facebook picture doesn't make me feel better about anything. But like X the Outsider said, it only takes one spark to make a difference, and I believe in trying to pass that spark around. When I made the decision to raise those funds for the project in India, it was over one one comment that one person said. it was a small statement/spark that ended up changing lots of lives, and like I said before, nothing is wrong or empty about doing what ever you can, for any cause, if you understand what your doing.

Can you suggest a 501 group to donate to that make's a difference in child abuse cases that you've done your research on? Or are you just wallowing in your own narcissism by thinking your smarter for not spending 60sec changing your profile pic?
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am
futuristxen

I just like cartoons. You all are too serious.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:29 am
PoetryBox

McTools wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
McTools wrote:
It took me all of 1.5 minutes to do it. I didn't save any one, but it's the most I've done for the subject all year. Probably the most I've talked about it all year too. It's like once a year when I see a AIDS add, and I get to go, "Oh ya, AIDS is still out there killing people, buy some jimmy's.", it doesn't cure any one, but it keeps it in the thought process. I don't see any thing wrong or empty about that, it would be interesting to know who started it though...

And thus, this is where they Narcissism comes into play. Doing nothing at all, yet you feel better because of it. You know who doesn't feel better? Abused children don't feel better.

Those dudes who are doing a show for child abuse in response to this "slacktivism" are doing something, but you people with your profile pictures aren't. Don't pretend you're doing something, or raising awareness. Most people are aware of child abuse, and if they aren't aware of the sites where you can donate, then put them babies up as your profile picture or your status every hour.

I've done fund raisers for years, I've raised tens of thousands of dollars for many different interests and different groups. I've raised funds to build orphanages for homeless children in Russia after the wall fell, I've helped raise funds to send doctors and farmers to Chiapas to educate the natives there, I raised almost 100K to help establish, monitor, and prevent the trafficing of child sex slaves in and out of India, believe me, changing my facebook picture doesn't make me feel better about anything. But like X the Outsider said, it only takes one spark to make a difference, and I believe in trying to pass that spark around. When I made the decision to raise those funds for the project in India, it was over one one comment that one person said. it was a small statement/spark that ended up changing lots of lives, and like I said before, nothing is wrong or empty about doing what ever you can, for any cause, if you understand what your doing.

Can you suggest a 501 group to donate to that make's a difference in child abuse cases that you've done your research on? Or are you just wallowing in your own narcissism by thinking your smarter for not spending 60sec changing your profile pic?

I think the gripe with most people is the fact that the cartoon picture really doesnt have anything to do with child abuse, if it was a picture of a bloody kid or somesort of child abuse picture I think it would have been more effective then a cartoon picture. From what I've seen most of the pictures people have changed has started conversation about cartoons more then child abuse.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 am
redball

Mac Lethal wrote:
Just because you throw a concert (which is also self-promoting your music, band, etc. etc.) and raise a little money, you are offering no more assistance to the prevention of child abuse than anyone else. In fact, money is silent. So the entire world changing their default FB pictures may help a little more, because it gets people talking and riled up. Money cannot prevent child abuse. But confrontation and discussion can. At least in a very small way.

This is the least on-point thing in this thread. Do you even know who the benefit is for? Did you know that most child advocacy groups are non-profit and survive largely on government grants and donations? Did you know that the nationwide state-level austerity movement is bleeding these groups dry? These groups need money to keep people who have dedicated their lives to helping abused children from being fired. Those who work at these organizations have an ever-increasing case load and are continually having to assign more children per case-worker or volunteer and more volunteers per case-worker.

McTools wrote:

The problem here is that the most worthy and needy of these child advocacy groups will operate at the state level. So while I can tell you that CASA in NJ needs help because our fat selfish fuck of a governor cut all of their state funding at the same time he gave people who make over $400k a tax cut, that doesn't help you unless you live here. Same with the shelters for battered teens, or the services that provide counselling to parents who are afraid they might abuse their child. You should be able to find your local office here (or donate to the national organization): http://www.casaforchildren.org

The national/international organizations receive more federal funds and are generally in better shape right now. That's not to say they don't deserve consideration and who knows whether the next budget will sacrifice their grants in order to buy a few more tanks. But here ya go:
http://www.savethechildren.org
http://www.nationalchildrensalliance.org/
http://voices.org/
http://www.unicef.org/
http://liveunited.org/*
http://www.clasp.org/**

* The United Way is going to help more in cases of neglect and preventing neglect than it does for other types of abuse.

** CLASP is a child advocacy lobbying group, they lobby for tougher laws against abuse so this isn't the most direct way to donate to help stop abuse but it may help.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:23 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/cartoon.asp
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm
Confidential

I didn't know pedophiles think of themselves as such, or that they formed organized groups around such an identity.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next