Search
Register
Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many ways
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many ways  Reply with quote  

Recently I saw a video of Henry Rollins talking about the whole "sell out" concept. He was mainly referencing how great bands shouldn't feel bad about making money by having their songs used in commercials. And their fans should be happy for them. We've had long conversations about this very same topic here in the past, and honestly I'm on the fence about it rather than being adamantly against it the way I was before. It's a complex issue, and one I don't want to really get into right now. BUT...I watched Henry Rollins excuse the use of music in commercials altogether and it's contributing to my ongoing suspicion that he's very sensitive about his own legacy.

This feeling is almost 100% confirmed by his actions in this video.

The comments on this video are almost ALL in support of Rollins' actions, where as I believe he came across as terminally self-conscious. I honestly don't think those people were aiming to rag on him but that's immediately how he perceived the situation when he his presence was acknowledged by the people in the room (most likely because they were fans and/or were star struck.) Rollins was quick to instigate what I believe to be a self-fulfilled prophecy. He practically forced the story that he already has built up in his head onto everyone around him. That's a guilt-ridden dude by my measure.

It's also strange how he practically uses this woman he is with as a shield. Like, "Look...I'm here with this woman of great honor. Very AUTHENTIC. Why don't you focus on HER. Filter me through her. Boom!"

I really want to like Rollins. I own Get in the Van. I've read his writings. I own Black Flag albums. I like his Liar song. Nothing slays me on ANY level. His "spoken word" stuff bores me. The blogs that he's been writing for LA Weekly made me think he is the modern day Holden Caulfield. Henry Holden Rollins.

BUT...I like him in movies. I like to see him talking shit when he doesn't seem so fragile about it. I don't mind him using his songs in commercials if that's what he wants to do. But that's only because I don't expect more of him even when I filter him through whatever shield of authenticity he throws in front of himself

This post is random, I know. I have no ill will toward Rollins at all. Just wanted to put some of these things I've been thinking about for a long time into words and see if the people here had any opinion about it.

Oh, and here's the "sell out" video I was referencing earlier:

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 pm
TurnpikeGates

Watched the first video-you pretty much nailed it.

I mean, the thing was edited, but from what was shown, he decided he was being attacked on very little evidence. The "Henry Rollins is here" and "Get in the van" were both somewhere between mere recognition and maybe the faintest touch of punk rock heckling. He's WAY oversensitive.

He came into that record store already judging and categorizing from the get-go, and then he acts like he's the one being judged. In fact, nobody said anything remotely mean to him until he had already blasted out like 5 snide remarks. I think he took those kids by surprise, and they had no chance to be anything other than defensive.

I mean, he's basically right about hipster culture (such as it is), but he is also a paranoid fucking narcissist, at least on the evidence of that video.

Read his Wiki, and it all kinda makes sense.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 pm
Disharmony

It's weird to watch an artist like Henry Rollins try to validate themselves in front of a group of any type of audience. You figure they know who they are and they're comfortable with it. If he really thought there was nothing to be ashamed about the remarks would roll right off of his shoulders, but obviously there is some underlying guilt or weird sense of trying to prove to himself that his actions were not hypocritical or misguided.

I feel indifferent about it. I don't mind when an artist tries to pay the bills or fund future endeavors. But when your music is highly political and preaches about telling the corporate followers to fuck off, I feel like you should choose your investments wisely, unless it really was all a facade to begin with.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:14 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

"A very famous book I wrote." What a douchebag.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TurnpikeGates

Also, current hipster culture doesn't give a shit about "selling out." His sensitivity there would be way more appropriately directed at the punks. These weren't the punks.

I think he thinks maybe contemporary hipsters exist on a time-continuum with the 80's punks who turned on him. It's pretty off-base.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:29 pm
xGasPricesx

Bandini wrote:
"A very famous book I wrote." What a douchebag.

Yeah, that part was a huge turn off for me too. The whole thing was pretty fucking awkward and a little hard to watch, he's a grown ass man acting like a fucking baby. I liked him on Sons of Anarchy last season, though.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:29 pm
marshall84

Seems like there's something wrong with Henry Rollins... I don't know what it is...
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 pm
desert penguin

I don't think there is any question that Henry Rollins has serious mental issues in regards to his own anger. He very much cares what other people think about him, which is why he is willing to physically fight anyone at any time for any reason. I just saw a clip of a National Geographic special that he hosted that was about a "warrior gene," which by definition causes people to "exhibit higher levels of behavioral aggression in response to provocation."
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:11 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Rage Francis is very familiar with that gene.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:19 pm
duxz

edit:
got milk?
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

This thread pretty much sums up my ambivalence to Rollins. If you really read "Get In The Van" you can see those same insecurities even back then. He is very defensive. He is also angry, and focused that anger into some classic jams (I don't include the song "Liar" in that category - he had jumped the shark by then.)

I enjoyed watching his weird talk show where he acted like Chris Farley with the celebrities on the show. Good bands on there too. I remember seeing that sell-out rant you posted on the show and thinking it was bullshit. Didn't watch that other video.

Everyone should own Black Flag's "Damaged."
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 am
FranktheP

I am a huge Rollins fan. I did not get into his work until late ('92) but I have all his solo work, most of his Flag work, all the books, seen his band anytime they went through Philly, etc. I have his framed posters on my wall. I like his acting because to me he is so bad at it that he is kind of good (his turn on Sons last year was excellent). I thought his talk show was really good too.

But videos like the one where he gets on the hipster chick (though she did egg it on) and his constant need to name drop has soured me a bit on his "spoken word" act. I have only seen him do the spoke word twice and it was about 15 years apart and it may be another 15 before I see it again. He does seem to need to defend himself and his legacy a bit too much. Maybe it is just a defense mechanisim from all the shit he took in the early 80's. Maybe he is a jerkoff.

I finally met him this year and I was not disappointed. I can see where most of the posts on here are dead on. For me, I will always be a fan.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:43 am
neveragainlikesheep

I don't know where the fuck he was coming from at all in that first video.

At first I thought he was being witty and funny, but then he put those girls on blast. They didn't seem to be digging on him at all. They liked him. Until he started throwing bows. They didn't back down so that was pretty cool.

It feels like he's trying really hard to still rage against the man.... by calling himself the man and harping on some white chicks in a bar/record store/livehouse/whatever.

Strange.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 am
anomaly
Loserface

i think he's simply pissed off he isn't shit anymore.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i recently discovered this JAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25K3ABXH6HE

it wont let me embed
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:36 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next