Search
Register
cartoon pictures to help kids who are the victims of violenc
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Rob-Raz

Well..just by them doing it, it caused this thread, which resulted in some type of conversation. So while I do agree it isn't doing much.....it is doing something.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:39 am
McTools

It took me all of 1.5 minutes to do it. I didn't save any one, but it's the most I've done for the subject all year. Probably the most I've talked about it all year too. It's like once a year when I see a AIDS add, and I get to go, "Oh ya, AIDS is still out there killing people, buy some jimmy's.", it doesn't cure any one, but it keeps it in the thought process. I don't see any thing wrong or empty about that, it would be interesting to know who started it though...
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:11 am
X the Outsider

Maybe someone will think more about it just by doing this, and it's better than nothing. Even if someone isn't going to be donating money to a cause, doesn't mean they aren't assisting it in some way. Getting the word out there is better than nothing at all.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 am
selfworth

X the Outsider wrote:
Maybe someone will think more about it just by doing this, and it's better than nothing. Even if someone isn't going to be donating money to a cause, doesn't mean they aren't assisting it in some way. Getting the word out there is better than nothing at all.

that was my thought too. plus, it gave me a reason to post up a picture of a cartoon hulkster
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 am
Z-0

X the Outsider wrote:

they'll think more about it until 12:01am tuesday. the word is already out there. these activities serve more to aid the individuals sense of care and action.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 am
Z-0

Rob-Raz wrote:
Well..just by them doing it, it caused this thread, which resulted in some type of conversation. So while I do agree it isn't doing much.....it is doing something.

but we're not discussing child abuse, are we?
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:10 am
X the Outsider

Z-0 wrote:
Rob-Raz wrote:

but we're not discussing child abuse, are we?

No we aren't. We are discussing several cynical people's views of the world. We are hearing people who would rather tear others down for whatever reason they see fit. I saw a topic on the cartoon characters this morning on MSN. That is getting the word out even if it's for a short time that is better than getting on a message board and bitching about others lack of action. And how do you know every single person won't somehow do something different with the thought in their head. All it takes it one spark to get someone thinking about an issue. Maybe the majority of people will go out and forget about it?

And since this is pointless. I want to hear someone tell me what people should be doing instead of changing their picture and what they do? I'm so tired of the critics and cynics in the world always with an opinion of what shouldn't be done, but not coming up with answers or the very least ideas.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 am
Sarcastro

It's a meaningless, hollow gesture done by people who probably don't even consider the cause for longer than 30 seconds. The majority do it because their friends did it and it's funny and cute, not because they give a fuck about breast cancer or child abuse or any other fuckin problem in this world.

To most people this is no different than Rick Roll or LOLcats.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 am
BillyDistro

"To everyone who changed their profile pictures to a cartoon character to "raise awareness for child abuse", Sebastian and I are putting together a show in January to raise money for a charity involving children. I challenge all of you to make it out to the show and donate.
This is a way for you to prove you don't partake in "Slacktivism" -- taking a stab at activism for a cause, but in a very lazy way."

^Thats from someone I know on Facebook. People ARE doing something and not just treating it like nothing. Yes many people are just treating it like a fad and many have uploaded a cartoon character not knowing why until they are told that's the reason.

However, there are people being active and not just treating it like bullshit. The negativity on here and basic bitching "Oh wah no one is gonna do shit" is just old, tiresome and it makes this forum boring and is one of the leading reasons this forum is basically dying anyway. Maybe I'm the cynical one now but the negativity is just fucking old.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm
Disharmony

I modified my hobbit picture to say "Don't beat children!" Because of you crabby fuckers. Wahhhhh, beaten children aren't getting the proper shout out on facebooks! Why is the populace doing this! So hollow and useless!!

Obviously it's because we want to show off what sweet cartoon we loved as kids....after we got beat.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 pm
Raoul DeGroot

I like turtles
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:27 pm
Dr Sagacious

McTools wrote:
It took me all of 1.5 minutes to do it. I didn't save any one, but it's the most I've done for the subject all year. Probably the most I've talked about it all year too. It's like once a year when I see a AIDS add, and I get to go, "Oh ya, AIDS is still out there killing people, buy some jimmy's.", it doesn't cure any one, but it keeps it in the thought process. I don't see any thing wrong or empty about that, it would be interesting to know who started it though...

And thus, this is where they Narcissism comes into play. Doing nothing at all, yet you feel better because of it. You know who doesn't feel better? Abused children don't feel better.

Those dudes who are doing a show for child abuse in response to this "slacktivism" are doing something, but you people with your profile pictures aren't. Don't pretend you're doing something, or raising awareness. Most people are aware of child abuse, and if they aren't aware of the sites where you can donate, then put them babies up as your profile picture or your status every hour.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 pm
bbreakz

Some marketing company is trying to figure out what cartoons need a movie remake or a new product line. So they start this campaign. Everyone who changes their profile pic will marketed to accordingly. Facebook makes their money selling profiles and emails of people who join groups. That not cynicism, its just facts.

According to my social network a movie for JEM is on the way.

Don't hit children.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:44 pm
Sarcastro

bbreakz wrote:
Some marketing company is trying to figure out what cartoons need a movie remake or a new product line. So they start this campaign. Everyone who changes their profile pic will marketed to accordingly. Facebook makes their money selling profiles and emails of people who join groups. That not cynicism, its just facts.

WINNER!!
I almost hope that this is true so one day I could meet and shake the hand of the man who truly earned that corner office for this genius idea.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:14 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

BillyDistro wrote:
"To everyone who changed their profile pictures to a cartoon character to "raise awareness for child abuse", Sebastian and I are putting together a show in January to raise money for a charity involving children. I challenge all of you to make it out to the show and donate.
This is a way for you to prove you don't partake in "Slacktivism" -- taking a stab at activism for a cause, but in a very lazy way."

^Thats from someone I know on Facebook. People ARE doing something and not just treating it like nothing. Yes many people are just treating it like a fad and many have uploaded a cartoon character not knowing why until they are told that's the reason.

However, there are people being active and not just treating it like bullshit. The negativity on here and basic bitching "Oh wah no one is gonna do shit" is just old, tiresome and it makes this forum boring and is one of the leading reasons this forum is basically dying anyway. Maybe I'm the cynical one now but the negativity is just fucking old.

Pretty on point right here.

People are so quick to reject something the masses are involved with. We get it, you guys are so much more active, and so much more genuine, and when you fight for a cause you go leaps and bounds beyond what some varsity cheerleader at your old high-school would be capable of, to fight for a cause. Fuck fake activists! You trendy, empty, meaningless pieces of shit!

I used to have that same attitude. That I had a much deeper understanding of the world's horrors than the mass populous had, and whenever someone without a passionate political agenda tried to be a part of something positive, it was completely empty and shallow.

That attitude is bullshit though. It's also self-righteous, arrogant, and a little telling about one's self-contentment.

This has started a whirlwind of conversation on FB, and honestly, I would be willing to bet there has been at least 1 productive confrontation within the confines of an abusive family because of this, maybe a lot more. So we were successful, right? Every little bit helps. You can't be better at doing positive things than other people. We all have the same goal in mind.

Just because you throw a concert (which is also self-promoting your music, band, etc. etc.) and raise a little money, you are offering no more assistance to the prevention of child abuse than anyone else. In fact, money is silent. So the entire world changing their default FB pictures may help a little more, because it gets people talking and riled up. Money cannot prevent child abuse. But confrontation and discussion can. At least in a very small way.

Silently ask yourself, what have you actually done to be a positive member of society? Silently answer as well.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next