Search
Register
News from Norway - American Surveillance
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Raskolnikov

News from Norway - American Surveillance  Reply with quote  

Don't know if this is getting reported at all in America (I'm guessing not), but there's been a bit of a scandal lately in my own country, Norway, regarding American surveillance.

Earlier this month a newsstory broke that the US has established a secret surveillance service in Norway, hiring former police officers to spy on Norwegian citizens. This is, of course, illegal according to Norwegian law. This has gone on with the knowing of the police and PST, the Norwegian security service. The question is to what extent the Norwegian government knew about this. They deny it, and based on the secrecy of the whole operation (spying from anonymous flats etc) I believe them.

Similar things have been uncovered in Switzerland back in 2000, and in Denmark. The reactions have been a bit varied - our government is clear in condemning the surveillance as illegal, but there seems to be little in the way of actual repercussions. Most likely this will have no actual consequences at all, as I don't think we have the power to actually do anything. There's even some rightwing characters who have the audacity to suggest that the Norwegian government is to blame here, for having laws that makes it more difficult for America to do these sort of things and especially for daring to react when they're being done anyway. It's pretty scary.

Hope my English isn't too bad, I'm pretty worked up over this and I've tried to make it as understandable as possible.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 am
Thugsbemakinout

This is also a issue here (Iceland). I saw a report on it where they were quoting people(anonymously, because apparently they were too scared to have their names connected to the story) living in houses around the American embassy here in Reykjavík who were claiming that there are surveillance cameras pointed at their windows from the embassy and stuff like that. Sounds like these people are kinda paranoid over nothing, but who knows. But it is a known fact that American officials/spies have "acquired" some information about Icelandic government officials and high ranking people, some of the files got leaked and are/were available on wikileaks.org. The part I worry about is that the embassy employs Icelandic cops to do spying/surveillance for them, what the hell? If you stand around inside of the embassy's property (which is basically just the pavement in front of the building) you'll get arrested in no time. If someone breaks in your house and you call the cops, they'll show up half an hour later, even if you live next door to the police station.

These flowerthingys and the bars in the windows were installed like the day after 9/11, supposedly without consulting anyone living around the embassy or even city officials.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 am
Brynjar

That's one ugly ass embassy
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:15 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

speaking of wikileaks, a swedish prosecutor just put out an international arrest warrant for assange over those sex crimes charges.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/8143922/Wikileaks-founder-Julian-Assange-hiding-in-Britain-as-Swedes-poised-to-issue-arrest-warrant.html
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm
Mr Jenkins

US has a spy base here (New Zealand) too.

These guys sabotaged em

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:33 pm
Dr Sagacious

Uh, y'know, I don't mean to be that guy, and all, but uh; what purpose does the American government have in putting surveillance on neutral countries that pose absolutely no threat whatsoever?

I doubt the government is spending an obscene and needless amount of money on that sort of thing. They've got other obscene and needless things to spend on in other countries that usually have dark-skinned villain-types with beardies inhabiting them.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 pm
Plum Puddin'

Never trust Norwegians.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:57 pm
Brynjar

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Uh, y'know, I don't mean to be that guy, and all, but uh; what purpose does the American government have in putting surveillance on neutral countries that pose absolutely no threat whatsoever?

No threat?

We be vikings yo!
Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Dr Sagacious wrote:

I doubt the government is spending an obscene and needless amount of money on that sort of thing. They've got other obscene and needless things to spend on in other countries that usually have dark-skinned villain-types with beardies inhabiting them.

When has the CIA ever been rational? You're talking about the people who brought cocaine into their own country because they thought fascists were less dangerous than democratically elected communists.
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 am
futuristxen

Mr Jenkins wrote:
US has a spy base here (New Zealand) too.

What are these supposed to be disguised as? Earth boobs?
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 am
Raskolnikov

Dr Sagacious wrote:

Well, as far as the actual surveillance taking place, the evidence is pretty conclusive: Police admitting to knowing about it, the American embassy confirming this and claiming they also informed the government, the Norwegian government denying it all and shuffling their feet. I'm not talking about massive Stasi-like surveillance here, but that's not really the point as far as I see it. The point is that America feels entitled to place itself over Norwegian jurisdiction, and there's not much we can do about it. If this is happening in other countries as well, I think that's a pretty scary thing.
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 am
Dr Sagacious

Definitely, we shouldn't be dipping our dicks into pools that are not ours, and we weren't invited to doing so. As you no doubt know, America has its priorities all mixed up.
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:59 am
Dejan86

America fucked over alot of countries including where i used to live, why should Norway be an exception hah
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 am
mzehe916

It is for your best interest. Let me tell you what your best interest is. Plus, it shows that they care.
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 am
Dejan86

mzehe916 wrote:
It is for your best interest. Let me tell you what your best interest is. Plus, it shows that they care.

talking to me or the guy who posted the thread?
Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next