Keith Olbermann suspended without pay indefinitely
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

JohnSchwan

Welp, he's been reinstated.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Publicity stunt. No one is stupid enough to drop their cash cow/ratings supplier for something this small.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I guess my thing about the Comcast/NBCU deal is that Comcast doesn't have a clear road forward as a media company unless they complete this deal or something similar to it. Regardless of anything else the deal gets them (or not) my guess is that the big thing it does get them is media rights that they can trade away to other companies in exchange for access to wider and deeper content offerings in their On-Demand and Xfinity TV Anywhere offerings. Without those distribution rights they will be bullied by the other media companies in the same way that Cablevision was in the Fox 5 debacle.

Comcast went through a similar impasse trying to get Versus (which they already own) distributed on DirecTV. Access the entire catalog of NBC programming substantially improves their negotiating position there -- and potentially allows Comcast to kick a hole in the partnership Universal had been developing with DirecTV via the Friday Night Lights deal.

Increasing MSNBC's revenues to be competitive with CNN will probably be a core goal for the network. Buying NBCU for the scripted content helps Comcast compete with DirecTV, but much more importantly in that it puts Comcast into a much more symmetrical competition with Time Warner.

The same competitive advantages that meant a Time Warner decision prompted the victory of Blu-ray over HD-DVD almost certainly exist in the online/streaming/on-demand arena, and that arena is almost certainly the next major battleground for distribution of video content to consumers. A consolidation play like this helps Comcast control the outcome there, which they need to do to remain competitive in the long run. Internet is a commodity product and cable TV will very rapidly cease to have differentiators once the shift to streaming media has begun in earnest. This is an existential issue for them; if this deal doesn't happen their road to long-term survival is much less certain.

So the deal makes strategic sense for Comcast on at least one or two levels; the bigger challenge is figuring out how to make NBCU turn a better profit for Comcast than it did for GE. Two articles on TV By the Numbers paint the picture for me: The first article, breaking down the relative worth on NBCU's various broadcast and cable properties, showing that NBC's journalism arm is easily one of the smallest pieces of the valuation.

fsecond breaks down revenues versus profits for MSNBC versus CNN and Fox News. Olbermann is two years into a contract reportedly worth $30 million dollars; a quarter of that is hair over two percent of the network's 2009 gross revenue.

... on the other hand, MSNBC lifted his suspension effective tomorrow night. There goes my conspiracy theory.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

http://www.scribd.com/doc/41623358/A-Statement-to-the-Viewers-of-Countdown

A STATEMENT TO THE VIEWERS OF COUNTDOWN
by Keith Olbermann

I want to sincerely thank you for the honor of your extraordinary and ground-rattling support. Your efforts have been integral to the remedying of these recent events, and the results should remind us of the power of individuals spontaneously acting together to correct injustices great or small. I would also like to acknowledge with respect the many commentators and reporters, including those with whom my politics do not overlap, for their support. I also wish to apologize to you viewers for having precipitated such anxiety and unnecessary drama. You should know that I mistakenly violated an inconsistently applied rule – which I previously knew nothing about – that pertains to the process by which such political contributions are approved by NBC. Certainly this mistake merited a form of public acknowledgment and/or internal warning, and an on-air discussion about the merits of limitations on such campaign contributions by all employees of news organizations. Instead, after my representative was assured that no suspension was contemplated, I was suspended without a hearing, and learned of that suspension through the media. You should also know that I did not attempt to keep any of these political contributions secret; I knew they would be known to you and the rest of the public. I did not make them through a relative, friend, corporation, PAC, or any other intermediary, and I did not blame them on some kind of convenient 'mistake' by their recipients. When a website contacted NBC about one of the donations, I immediately volunteered that there were in fact three of them; and contrary to much of the subsequent reporting, I immediately volunteered to explain all this, on-air and off, in the fashion MSNBC desired. I genuinely look forward to rejoining you on Countdown on Tuesday, to begin the repayment of your latest display of support and loyalty - support and loyalty that is truly mutual.

--K.O.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Again, Phil Griffin is a fuck.
Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:29 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

gosh i just love that guy.
Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:29 pm
Jared Paul

the mean wrote:
Again, Phil Griffin is a fuck.
Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the mean
Certified O.G.

Now that he has been called out, that fuck Phil Griffin finally suspends his Golden Boy Joe Scarborough for doing the same thing years ago that Olbermann did.
Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:50 pm
futuristxen

MSNBC is a mess. The only things worth watching on that channel are lockdown and maddow. And even then Maddow is a distant second to lockdown.
Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2