Search
Register
My interview with AbsolutePunk.net (lots of industry talk)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Plum Puddin'

The Space Adventures of Xaul Zan: Cock Pit Patriot.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm
futuristxen

Jack wrote:

That is really pleasant to hear. And hey, you can look at it this way. We can download books illegally as well, but reading a book on a .pdf is pretty high up there on the "scale of annoying-ness", that we would all have to buy it to read it.

These things are getting quite popular:
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 am
Raoul DeGroot

Reading on the computer really does smash up your eyes tho. That will be at least a speed bump. Waiting until all the old booksters die off.
I had about a year of having to wear drugstore glasses to give my eyeball muscles time to heal up from being abused by constant computer screen reading.

Still 20+/20 but that won't last for much longer at this rate.

*edit I see you are talking about e-ink. That's a different story.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 am
TurnpikeGates

Hey Raoul, could you elaborate on that? Did you mean a year of wearing glasses and not looking at computer screens, or a year of wearing glasses WHILE looking at computer screens?

I've been spending way too many hours a day on computers for probably about 10 years now, and in the past year or so, my vision has deteriorated. I'm definitely under the impression that they won't ever "heal up." I'd love to be disabused of that notion. What's the secret? Hopefully I'll have health insurance w/ vision soon, but I need a stop-gap measure.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 am
Erik Lisander
kanye cock dude

I read most books on the computer these days. There's so much good public domain stuff out there, there's no need to pirate books anyway. I have a computer application that does the job - it displays a couple of words automatically at a user defined speed against a black background, which makes it pretty easy on the eyes, I guess. Not having to scroll every 10 seconds is a bonus.

Then there's audiobooks - I don't really care for them, but when I'm doing mindless manual labour like erecting fences or something like that you can get a lot of reading done that way.

I'll probably buy a kindle soon though. And then I'll join the legion of assholes on the subway with thick rimmed glasses and turtleneck sweaters who stare absently into their kindle, probably reading Bret Easton Ellis.

The book industry is bound to go the same way as the music industry with the growing popularity of ebook readers - which I don't actually mind. Say what you will about the smell of a new book and the feel of the paper, they are still an extremely cumbersome way to display information.

Right now, books are still a bit to hard to find on the internet for the average user. Unless you know how to navigate the IRC chatrooms it's difficult to find books that aren't in the public domain, so piracy isn't really a problem at the moment.

I do, however, make on exception - poetry. You can't read poetry on a screen of any sort. It feels wrong.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

E-readers are awesome.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

In case anyone was wondering, the Barnes and Noble version of the kindle is a pile of shit. Don't get it.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

i love it when sage talks about being disappointed by running a label, in the sense of his honesty about it. its a terrible time to run a label. in the back of my mind i've always though that somebody like sage would be one of the best people in the world to have behind my music. and i still believe that if anyone can figure out a radical way to make a "label" work it could be sage.

the only way record labels survive is if they make the physical product art objects.

&

if the labels take a direct role in managing artists careers. this way the label takes a cut of show income, cameos, merch etc. and takes an active role in guiding and promoting the artist himself instead of just a record. this is the only experiment left to try. it opens up a whole nother can of worms about artist controls, but CD sales alone aren't enough to justify the relationship at this point. its not worth the labels time and its not worth the artists' time. IMO.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

jakethesnake wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, the Barnes and Noble version of the kindle is a pile of shit. Don't get it.

Umm no it isn't. It's awesome. Better than the kindle, IMO.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:53 pm
Raoul DeGroot

TurnpikeGates wrote:
Hey Raoul, could you elaborate on that? Did you mean a year of wearing glasses and not looking at computer screens, or a year of wearing glasses WHILE looking at computer screens?

I've been spending way too many hours a day on computers for probably about 10 years now, and in the past year or so, my vision has deteriorated. I'm definitely under the impression that they won't ever "heal up." I'd love to be disabused of that notion. What's the secret? Hopefully I'll have health insurance w/ vision soon, but I need a stop-gap measure.

It was glasses while using computer.
Here's my scenario. My eyes had gotten to a point where they were starting to fatigue after just a few moments of looking at the screen. Kinda blurry vision and uncomfortable sensation. blurry might be the wrong descriptor. I could still resolve fine detail, but it took strain to do so.

I went to the eye doc and shore enough, they said my vision was 20/20 as far as the test was concerned, but an option was to get near vision magnifying glasses and reduce the need for my eyes to be working in that stressful config.

shore enough, 10%mags from rite-aid seemed to work. I didnt really need them for seeing detail, but they cut down on fatigue a ton. After a while the old orbs seemed to have healed theyselves..

There's a bunch of theories I have about what was goin on, but the simplest one might be that eye strain is like any repetitive action injury and the glasses served as a brace would for a carpal tunnel sufferer.

Oddly enough, merely putting something above my brow or between my eyes seemed to reduce the eye strain too. Anything that forces your eyes to flex into a different position I guess.

If your vision is already full on busted, it might be too late to heal the focusing machinery, but it could certainly be preventative.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I read on the internet about The Bates Method and pinhole glasses to exercise your focus muscles to reduce blurriness and improve eyesight...

I'm curious if it works..
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 pm
Raoul DeGroot

-I keep going back to edit and end up double posting this stuff recently-

Hey T-Wrex, are you the guy who makes bread professionally? What's a good simple everyday recipe for a newb?

Last edited by Raoul DeGroot on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 pm
Bicycle

I find it real hard to believe that illegal downloading is really that big of a problem for the major labels that likely spend millions on market research

The media makes a big fuss out of the failing music industry and no one notices the new industry creeping up underneath it. Now its all legalities. You dont buy a product, you buy the legal right to a song with whatever restrictions have been put on it. My roommate is all about Rock Band. He buys songs off the market. He cant play the songs he payed for unless he is connected to xbox live. cool

How many ways can the industry profit from this?
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 pm
jehu

bigsole wrote:

if the labels take a direct role in managing artists careers. this way the label takes a cut of show income, cameos, merch etc. and takes an active role in guiding and promoting the artist himself instead of just a record. this is the only experiment left to try. it opens up a whole nother can of worms about artist controls, but CD sales alone aren't enough to justify the relationship at this point. its not worth the labels time and its not worth the artists' time. IMO.

i definitely see your angle, but this thought makes me cringe. being someone who "creates" music, the idea of having my label "manage" me is scary to say the least. i really don't think that can worms is worth opening AT ALL.

your last 2 sentences i can completely get down with. NO artist NEEDS a label these days & vice versa, imo as well.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

right.... but if you were managed by a label that didn't think like a label.. that'd be the shit... someone that can see from both the artists' perspective and the business side... and figure out a new way for this kind of relationship to work....
Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next