Search
Register
High & Mighty / Cage Discussion (renamed)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

High & Mighty / Cage Discussion (renamed)  Reply with quote  

I admit I might be drunk a bit, but I've been listening to some old EC records today and some High&Mi songs really brought me back. Eon sounded like an idiot on most songs (or all of them...) but it was part of the appeal. Also, High&Mighty was probably the first underground thing I got into after 'discovering' Company Flow and Cage in the late 90s.

I know this thread might not get any responses or it might get dissed, but hell, I like some of their songs, own 3 EC All-Stars albums and one High & Mighty album (not to mention the Smut Peddlers and a shitload of other EC stuff) and I still quite enjoyed listening to them today. Some tracks:

"And not to mention: Eon - the latest technology invention."
Eon used to crack me up sometimes. It might be considered a guilty pleasure around here.

Also: Mighty Mi used to make some GREAT beats. Really. And he could scratch his ass off as well on a lot of the tracks he produced.

Diss/Discuss

Last edited by Flossin on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Mighty Mi was so good on the production tip. I love his beats.

Eon got hated on a lot during the "lyrically lyrical" era of underground hiphop but I actually liked his voice and delivery. Some lines were not good at all but whatever. I played their 12"s on my radio show quite often.
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm
Flossin

Sage Francis wrote:
Mighty Mi was so good on the production tip. I love his beats.

Eon got hated on a lot during the "lyrically lyrical" era of underground hiphop but I actually liked his voice and delivery. Some lines were not good at all but whatever. I played their 12"s on my radio show quite often.

Yes. Mighty Mi did some of my favorite beats in that era of hip-hop.

I know Eon gets a lot of shit nowadays and I agree that some of his lines sucked, but he did have his own style and his voice was pretty unique and still is.

What I liked about High & Mi and a lot of those early EC releases was that they were underground but were still really rooted in the more "traditional" hip-hop sound (as opposed to the early Def Jux/Anticon releases and other more "experimental" stuff that ruled the underground scene back then). And with that, they actually brought some diversity to the underground scene of that time, I think.
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Flossin

And what I like about that Fastfood Nation song I posted is not really the message, but the fact that it's EON who is concerned about it all. Eon, who used to rhyme about "Edward Scissorhand, wiping his own ass". It was quite funny to me when I first heard it, and still is today, when I got back to it. He also has some nice lines in that song.
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

always been a fan

they were my favorite for a long time
the whole Eastern Conference Allstars Records

EC allstars vol 1 is classic

Last edited by Neuro on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:52 pm
laurapalmer

two years ago or so this came up on the forum and shane and i got clowned for saying it was good.

i still think homefield advantage and the comp songs were really enjoyable. dick starbuck, come on now. air force was not so good though.
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:53 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1eXYXv-YJ0
Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 pm
Intrinsic

smut peddlers > home field advantage

or maybe thugged out Cage is just my guilty pleasure.

whatever happened to Eon? He just kinda disappeared when the max exodus from EC occurred.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:37 pm
SergOne

the thing about them was that they were so bland, like when you think of generic late 90's early 00's underground hiphop High & Mighty is exactly the sound that comes to mind. It wasn't the worst shit out but so much of the EC material wasn't that memorable. Fuck, I'm struggling right now to think of the name of any of their songs

last thing I saw from that camp was eon's doing mashups and shit but that was a while ago
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raoul DeGroot

Smut Peddlers is some special stuff. Mr Eon and pre-enlightened Cage have some of the best character voices in rap. The beats are good n solid too.

Never really listened to plain old High and Mighty much. I can't really imagine Eon doing non ignorant raps. His voice isn't suited to vanilla lyrical miracle rappin'.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 pm
MCGF

Intrinsic wrote:

whatever happened to Eon?

"High & Mighty comin’ back in 2011!!!"

but that was posted on the ughh forums, so... probably not going to happen.

Last edited by MCGF on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:07 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Leak Bros was another EC great.

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:23 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

yes
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 pm
Flossin

Indeed. Like it or not, Smut Peddlers is a really good hiphop album. The beats go hard, Cage and Eon really work well together and it's one of those records where you get what you want with pretty much no filler. And some of those Mighty Mi beats over there are just damn great. Hell, I love the beat on "Josie", "54", "Medicated Minutes" and all that shit. Eon and Cage work great as a hip-hop duo and compliment each other really nice.

Leak Bros is a really well made duet. I got this album too, and I still listen to it.

And I don't think the "thugged out" Cage in the EC days should be considered a "guilty pleasure". I mean, yeah, "Hell's Winter" is good and all, but come the fuck on, Cage on the EC releases was charismatic as fuck, sounded great, had most of the best songs in his career (imo. And the other part of the best songs of his were made pre-EC. Also imo) and was just a really great rapper. If you think otherwise, you might be biased. I got all of those Cage projects in my collection as well as Movies for the Blind and Weatherproof (some great songs on there too... I really like "Summer in Hell", "Underground Rapstar" and "Weatherpeople", with the RJD2 beat based on the Suspiria movie theme) and I really like them.

Anyway, yeah... EC put out some really great records, and even though a lot of the High&Mi stuff was kinda "meh", they had some very good moments as well, and there's no denying that.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more people dissing Eon, Mi and EC here, but that's all good and well as far as I'm concerned.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 pm
laurapalmer

eon is flipping real estate, or was before the bubble burst, doing nitrous while tailgating at eagles games, and getting fat.

not a joke, totally serious.

and no, smut peddlers wasn't better than homefield, that is just silly. dick starbuck holds up as a great story rap, b boy document was overplayed for a reason, and hands on experience and the last hit have some prime guestspots, the meaning...come on now.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next