View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Erik Lisander
kanye cock dude

Ayn Rand villainy worse than I thought  Reply with quote  

Article:
http://www.slate.com/id/2233966/

Quote:

Her diaries from that time, while she worked as a receptionist and an extra, lay out the Nietzschean mentality that underpins all her later writings. The newspapers were filled for months with stories about serial killer called William Hickman, who kidnapped a 12-year-old girl called Marion Parker from her junior high school, raped her, and dismembered her body, which he sent mockingly to the police in pieces. Rand wrote great stretches of praise for him, saying he represented "the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatsoever for all that a society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul. … Other people do not exist for him, and he does not see why they should." She called him "a brilliant, unusual, exceptional boy," shimmering with "immense, explicit egotism." Rand had only one regret: "A strong man can eventually trample society under its feet. That boy [Hickman] was not strong enough."

A year ago I spent a considerable amount of time reading both the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged because a friend of mine was all like, "This shit is deep" - possibly some of the worst writing I ever encountered. For serious. The Fountainhead can at least claim to be a novel, but Atlas Shrugged has nothing going for it except an awesome title. It makes the same point over and over. Terrible, convoluted mess.

Her philosophy? So much cardboard. So many straw men. So much mind-numbing idiocy disguised as reason. And then there's all the raping that goes on. This woman sure liked rape. Nevertheless, I never really considered objectivism as big danger as some scaremongers on the internet would have you believe. No one older than 16 (with the possible exception of Glenn Beck) would take this shit seriously.
However, I had still a sort of neutral attitude towards Ayn Rand. Worse pseudo-philosophies have been concocted. I also read some of the non-fiction stuff she wrote with her trophy boyfriend and it's actually OK.

Then I find out about this ghastly business. Makes Howard Roark dynamiting orphanages look tame. Turns out Ayn Rand wasn't just misguided - she was actually insane to teh membrane. Jesus Christ. People need to be told.

I also found this essay, which isn't from Slate (Slate, lol) and thus a bit better researched and written. Give it a read. If you ever encounter one of her cultists (maybe they're more common in the U S and A) you can drop some science on 'em.

http://www.michaelprescott.net/hickman.htm

Also, Nietzsche must be the most misinterpreted writer in the history of ever, ha
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:39 pm
Captiv8

She has totally contorted the idea of the ubermensch into something hideous. I can't say I'm familiar with Rand's work, but this talk about Hickman makes her seem ideologically sociopathic. The subquestion is how radical can independent thought be before it leaves shades of genius behind for something much more insane?
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 pm
FuseONE

she has cultists. many of them are in congress.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm
RoNn1e

Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 pm
Erik Lisander
kanye cock dude

Isn't Ron Paul's tea party son called Rand Paul? If there's a connection it would certainly explain a lot
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:25 pm
redball

It's short for Randal.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm
FuseONE

Erik Lisander wrote:
Isn't Ron Paul's tea party son called Rand Paul? If there's a connection it would certainly explain a lot

He is actually a big fan of hers though, ironically.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Jump to: