Search
Register
life sustaining planet possibly found
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Plum Puddin'

The ice cream issue isn’t a matter of kindness. It's a matter of survival.

Break, they are kind, they are peaceful.

They had a referendum on 'Jealousy' 22 years ago & decided to phase it out. It's worked better than expected. They have known for generations that everything in the universe is connected. If pressed, they could show you how an Enrique Iglesias concert on Earth directly effects marine breeding cycles & tidal conditions on Gliese.

But they are wasp like in the way that if one of them is in danger, you will be swarmed. Be cool man.

I hope i have'nt short circuited Marky Mark & the Minnesota Bunch's brain by continuing this. If it's any consolation i think you would look pretty dapper in a Gliese suit Mark.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I don't actually care what you're doing here, I just thought it was a recent and typical example of something that has happened to many many threads on here over the years.

I'm sure I would look pretty dapper in a suit like that, but a nice stuffy tweed is more my preference.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 pm
Raoul DeGroot

What happened? They get turned interesting?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:18 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

God damn it Eltron are you implying that science qua science isn't interesting? I will kill you.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:40 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:49 pm
futuristxen

I've always thought moving to another planet was something of a red herring, and that immortality would end up being found through some sort of technological change in being. That through science we would find a way to separate our consciousness from what is in the end an outdated vehicle.

And that in the end, whether a planet was inhabitable or not by our present standards was largely irrelevant.

Wherever we can put our servers and robot workers, we can live.

Or maybe we'll colonize on light beams or some such. I dunno.

Discoveries like this I feel are more important in alerting people to the fact that we are so very tiny and inconsequential right now. And possibility defies our brains in the scale of the understanding it requires.

The manifest destiny bit/cultural imperielism critique, is a metaphor that is only useful inwards. I don't think it should dictate our moves in these matters. So much as put us through a process that advances our own ideas within us--and to that end, I think in 2010 we've got a lot farther down that rabbit hole of self-critique--as breakbreep has pointed out. Such that I can understand why someone who deals with these matters more intimitately would get insanely frustrated about it.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm
Disharmony

Would the discovery of life on a planet other than earth basically make the Vatican burst into flames? Or would there be a newer-testament to explain it?
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 pm
futuristxen

I imagine they would just expand their understanding of the bible to meet that advance. I'm not sure the bible actually explicitaly says that no other life anywhere else was created. It just gives a creation myth for humans specifically.

People have interpreted that to mean no other life. But that doesn't mean that there's an actual textual basis for it, or that there's not a textual basis against it.

The Bible is made of so many diffrent writers and viewpoints--it says a lot of things. People more or less pick and choose based upon the values they want to export out through the culture based upon some subconscious calculation of social order.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 pm
Szechwan

"Recently Discovered Habitable World May Not Exist"  Reply with quote  

Quote:

"Two weeks ago, U.S.-based astronomers announced the discovery of the first Goldilocks planet circling another star: just the right size and just the right temperature to harbor alien life. But yesterday at an exoplanet meeting in Turin, Italy, Switzerland-based astronomers announced that they could find no trace of the prized planet in their observations of the same planetary system."

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/10/recently-discovered-habitable-world.html
Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:09 pm
Plum Puddin'

sad face.

But maybe this is just what they want you to think.

You know, them.

Those guys.

Tryin' to hog all the Gliese suits for themselves.

Oh well, i already had my heart set on another crazy planet that the internet swears to me is real.

Really real.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Alpha Centauri babeeeeeeee
Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Alas, science and news continue to function as they always do. Scholarly and experimental work are peer-reviewed and disproved, and the hopes of many are crushed if the newspapers actually bother to report the anticlimactic followup.
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:45 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

So what sciencey thing should we talk about now? Somebody must have some interesting new info to report and speculate on!
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:46 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1324192/Nasa-plan-Hundred-Year-Starship--mission-astronauts-Mars-leave-forever.html

Quote:

The mission is to boldly go where no man has gone before – on a flight to Mars.

The snag is that you’d never come back.

The U.S. space agency Nasa is actively investigating the possibility of humans colonising other worlds such as the Red Planet in an ambitious project named the Hundred Years Starship.

The settlers would be sent supplies from Earth, but would go on the understanding that it would be too costly to make the return trip.

Cont'd...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1324192/Nasa-plan-Hundred-Year-Starship--mission-astronauts-Mars-leave-forever.html#ixzz13f8FfICu

Here we go!
Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:07 am
Plum Puddin'

When i grow up i wanna be a Martian.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6