Profile
Search
Register
Log in
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
desert penguin



Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 1104
 Reply with quote  

laurapalmer wrote:

You know...between your view of that cartoon in the UGHH thread and the above post i have come to the conclusion that either you or I are vastly misinterpreting the same information. I am positive on the cartoon. As for das racist, I could be wrong.


I guess the difference is that I'm laying out what I'm interpreting and you're only implying that I'm stupid or simply saying "you're wrong." That's fine, but just know that both come off sounding like nothing but noise to me when left without elaboration.

Like I said, I'm still new to Das Racist. I don't really know what they're about. I've only heard a couple songs and read two interviews. In the interviews, they were talking about how they graduated from Harvard and just being sarcastically pretentious in general. As I understand it, this is how they conduct most interviews. Reading Brendan's post made me connect the two. I'm definitely not comparing their music to anticon in any way. I was simply making an observation that perhaps the members of Das Racist witnessed anticon's introduction to the scene and decided to have fun with it, however unlikely that may be.


Last edited by desert penguin on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay


Joined: 27 Aug 2002
Posts: 720
Location: the o
 Reply with quote  

money talks. and money will always talk. rawkus had money. we didn't. rawkus swept in and bought up all the underground NY scene which already had a global chokehold on the burgeoning indy hip-hop scene. and rightly so, the mid-late 90s indy hip hop out of NY is one of my favorite eras, natural elements, co flow, etc there were very few white rappers on rawkus, but being from a city like new york is a hell of a lot cooler on a bio than saying you're from halifax nova scotia.

i think the best artistic movements takes principled stances against the status quo, whatever it is, and whether or not it is politically convenient.

things could have been worded differently for sure, but we were young and having a blast and i wouldnt trade the fun we had doing that shit for anything....


Last edited by bigsole on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2211
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

I think Das Racist gets away with it, and excels at it, because they are not white. And they're not black either. So they come from a different perspective altogether.

I think the liner notes and the interviews definitely did not help the way that anticon were perceived, but more than that was how the whole thing was perceived as a reaction against a certain brand of hip hop. I think a lot of people just felt like if hip hop even needed advancement, it probably shouldn't be a group of white people saying it or attempting it. Even as obvious as the sarcasm was, there always seemed to be a a level of cockiness to it. Like anticon were the ones that were really being creative and talking about the more important things.

It would be like if Kenny Wayne Shepherd came out talking about how blues music need to be pulled from its reliance on pentatonic scales and themes of hardship and heartache. Music for the advancement of blues.

You started having fans whose first introduction to rap music was through anticon or RSE. There was no appreciation of where that stuff came from or what led up to it. Basically ignoring all of the black artists that worked their asses off and got hip hop to the point where white people even wanted to do it in the first place. All of a sudden, you look around a crowd and you think, "Do i really like the same music that these douchebags do? I'm going home to listen to Scarface."

Which sucks, because a lot of the music is good. Last time I saw themselves I had to sit through doseone rant about how lil wayne is a shitty rapper and that there is still good rap music being made on the periphery. That shit just rubs me the wrong way.

I think white rappers need to be overly cautious as to how they look at, and approach the game.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay


Joined: 27 Aug 2002
Posts: 720
Location: the o
 Reply with quote  

the race shit with indy hip hop is so convoluted and wack. i just wish it could be about music.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

I think people should just make the music they want, but not be racist idiots. Who cares where you start in the genre, as long as you respect the roots.

If doseone thinks Lil Wayne sucks, who cares? It's true that there is better music being played, you just can't assume he's racist or ignorant because of that. Lil Wayne is alright, but not everyone likes him. That's fine. I know a lot of racist white pricks who love Weezy.

It's just knitpicking music with that whole "anticon is elitist" bullshit. I'm kinda tired of knitpicking music, man. Not to get on your ass, because I'm mainly with you on this.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
laurapalmer



Joined: 10 Jul 2002
Posts: 1472
 Reply with quote  

desert penguin wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:

You know...between your view of that cartoon in the UGHH thread and the above post i have come to the conclusion that either you or I are vastly misinterpreting the same information. I am positive on the cartoon. As for das racist, I could be wrong.


I guess the difference is that I'm laying out what I'm interpreting and you're only implying that I'm stupid or simply saying "you're wrong." That's fine, but just know that both come off sounding like nothing but noise to me when left without elaboration.

Like I said, I'm still new to Das Racist. I don't really know what they're about. I've only heard a couple songs and read two interviews. In the interviews, they were talking about how they graduated from Harvard and just being sarcastically pretentious in general. As I understand it, this is how they conduct most interviews. Reading Brendan's post made me connect the two. I'm definitely not comparing their music to anticon in any way. I was simply making an observation that perhaps the members of Das Racist witnessed anticon's introduction to the scene and decided to have fun with it, however unlikely that may be.


Yeah, i guess my post did imply that. That wasn't my point, I am usually much more upfront when trying to be insulting. But, I can totally see that post being taken that way. Sorry about that. What wasn't as much in the forefront in my post was the possibility that I was misinterpreting das racist.

But getting past that part, I guess I will leave the boondocks in the other thread and say on the das racist front, I think some of what tommi said is true, but more precisely, i think they are more aware and polished than anticon was. And, i think they are both playing the game with some of their cosigns they have, and disparaging it. Kind of comes off as rage against the machine-like to me. Zach gets the pass due to ethnicity, but isn't really doing much more than using controversy to move units at the end of the day. Das racist feels that way to me. However, i know that my ratm viewpoint is in the vast minority. I can talk more later, but gotta bounce.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
desert penguin



Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 1104
 Reply with quote  

tommi teardrop wrote:


It would be like if Kenny Wayne Shepherd came out talking about how blues music need to be pulled from its reliance on pentatonic scales and themes of hardship and heartache. Music for the advancement of blues.




I like the fact that you brought up KWS. My parents have been listening to him since he was a teenager. Super-talented guy.

tommi teardrop wrote:
Last time I saw themselves I had to sit through doseone rant about how lil wayne is a shitty rapper and that there is still good rap music being made on the periphery. That shit just rubs me the wrong way.



I think I was bugged by this same rant at the show I went to last year. Did you have the same feelings when Sage was doing the same thing for Jay-Z a few years ago?

laurapalmer wrote:
I think some of what tommi said is true, but more precisely, i think they are more aware and polished than anticon was. And, i think they are both playing the game with some of their cosigns they have, and disparaging it.


You see, I totally agree with this!
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 1920
Location: kc
 Reply with quote  

I think a lot of people went over the top with their hatred for Anticon, because when they looked at/listened to Anticon, they saw all of the nerdy, white, artsy things about themselves, that they tried to pretend/wish didn't exist, being so shamelessly represented by the Anticon artists.

Never mind Rawkus. I am still in absolute fucking awe of the polarization of Anticon and Def Jux artists that went on for a few years there.

I mean seriously. If someone laid out a Mobb Deep record, an Anticon record and a Def Jux record, and said "Which one of these is not like the other?" The answer is Mobb Deep every single time.

I just find it interesting when white people who "mastered the slang and the bang and the mental" a little better than other white people, feel like they become the ambassador for black culture or something. And they start questioning the authenticity of the whiter white people.

It was stupid. I like some records from both labels. But the shit people were reaching for became silly.

If you have ever been to Scribble Jam (outside of Eminem), people are not listening to your record while they drive through Swope Park on Sundays in KC. We are all the same thing.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Mikal kHill



Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 6850
Location: http://mikalkhill.com
 Reply with quote  

Everything mac just said is super on point.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3177
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

With Anticon, I hate that there has only been a comparison element of their stuff vs. others. I just appreciate a lot of their artists' spirit of creativity and experimentalism and I have specific times reserved for that type of listening. I never understood why people get in the mode of "since I like ____ I can't like ____." If you are at a barbeque, chilling at the pool, its not really the right time for some Dose One.

Have some variety in your life, beenches.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared Paul



Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 3720
Location: www.PrayersForAtheists.org
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
If you are at a barbeque, chilling at the pool, its not really the right time for some Dose One.



hahhahahahahahahhahaha
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:

Have some variety in your life, beenches.


Yes.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Intrinsic



Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 210
 Reply with quote  

bigsole wrote:
money talks. and money will always talk. rawkus had money. we didn't. rawkus swept in and bought up all the underground NY scene which already had a global chokehold on the burgeoning indy hip-hop scene.


To be fair, they had that Murdoch money. That's not something easily gone against.
Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

i aint never scared
Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MCGF



Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 367
 Reply with quote  

Intrinsic wrote:
bigsole wrote:
money talks. and money will always talk. rawkus had money. we didn't. rawkus swept in and bought up all the underground NY scene which already had a global chokehold on the burgeoning indy hip-hop scene.


To be fair, they had that Murdoch money. That's not something easily gone against.


rawkus was funded by MURDOCH?? WTF!?! wow. how did that happen?

company flow, black starr, fox news. one of these things is not like the other...
Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:56 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon