Search
Register
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

You know what scares the shit out of me?  Reply with quote  

Is that my contemporaries and I have fans that are genuinely racist at heart.

I am starting to wonder if all these white, snobby assholes, that parade "real hip-hop," and like our music because we "don't talk about the ghetto, or bling-bling, or cars, jewelry and clothes." etc., are actually against all of that stuff as a mechanism of being racist.

A fan sent me a message on Facebook, I went to her page to look at her profile, and the first thing I see is a comment some dude left her that simply read, "N---er." This post had about 15 responses of her friends and other random people joking around, yet never once did someone even acknowledge the presence of the word.

I messaged her about it, and she gave me some 10 paragraph response about how "it's an inside joke" and how its meaning isn't to be taken literally. But nah man.

Do these young people even know that hip-hop is black culture? Furthermore, when they are so vehemently against the materialism of commercial hip-hop, and support our music because of it, is it because they genuinely enjoy our music? Or is it because we represent their disdain for black people, and the materialism that stems from growing up in a relatively poor area of America?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:44 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

FIRST!
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:46 pm
laurapalmer

Re: You know what scares the shit out of me?  Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:

I am starting to wonder if all these white, snobby assholes, that parade "real hip-hop," and like our music because we "don't talk about the ghetto, or bling-bling, or cars, jewelry and clothes." etc., are actually against all of that stuff as a mechanism of being racist.

A fan sent me a message on Facebook, I went to her page to look at her profile, and the first thing I see is a comment some dude left her that simply read, "N---er." This post had about 15 responses of her friends and other random people joking around, yet never once did someone even acknowledge the presence of the word.

I messaged her about it, and she gave me some 10 paragraph response about how "it's an inside joke" and how its meaning isn't to be taken literally. But nah man.

Do these young people even know that hip-hop is black culture? Furthermore, when they are so vehemently against the materialism of commercial hip-hop, and support our music because of it, is it because they genuinely enjoy our music? Or is it because we represent their disdain for black people, and the materialism that stems from growing up in a relatively poor area of America?

No. I don't think they realize where hip-hop came from, or why it evolved. And I think a lot of them seem to like music for the sake of irony. A jaded hipster is a totally accepted persona.

I don't know if this proves my point or debunks it, but have you ever noticed how many covers of TI, jay z, and biggie there are on youtube done by Singer-songwriters? It is mindblowing. You could spend hours seeing unintentionally depressing caricatures where they have no compunction about dropping n-bombs and being over the top with the machismo during the violent parts of songs. And that is just normal people. Not even getting into shit like Emily Wells or whatever. Shit depresses me.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:53 pm
Mac Lethal

laurapalmer wrote:
Mac Lethal wrote:

No. I don't think they realize where hip-hop came from, or why it evolved. And I think a lot of them seem to like music for the sake of irony. A jaded hipster is a totally accepted persona.

I don't know if this proves my point or debunks it, but have you ever noticed how many covers of TI, jay z, and biggie there are on youtube done by Singer-songwriters? It is mindblowing. You could spend hours seeing unintentionally depressing caricatures where they have no compunction about dropping n-bombs and being over the top with the machismo during the violent parts of songs. And that is just normal people. Not even getting into shit like Emily Wells or whatever. Shit depresses me.

My friend Joe Good, essentially quit rap, because on tour a white dude came up to him and asked him if he could touch his hair.

I saw it happen. I may still quit rap because of it.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm
AdamBomb

I've actually been noticing this with ICP fans. Lots of racism, but complete lack of understanding that the rappers they adore grew up and were inspired on black music.

One could say its racist to relegate black music to "ghetto, money, and bling bling", because there are fans of black artists that don't rap about those things, for that same reason.

Its hard to generalize your fans. Shit, I like your music and I also like Freddie Gibbs, Lil Wayne and Rick Ross. I also like the band America as well, so maybe i'm just fucked up.

Taking it further, this makes me wonder if Sage gets annoyed when people are drunk at his shows when he himself does not drink.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:02 pm
remind

laurapalmer wrote:

On the contrary, they do realize where it came from. But they choose to latch onto white rappers for identity purposes and so that they can be like "aw man, now THIS is the hip hop I like!"
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:05 pm
laurapalmer

Mac Lethal wrote:

My friend Joe Good, essentially quit rap, because on tour a white dude came up to him and asked him if he could touch his hair.

I saw it happen. I may still quit rap because of it.

I just quit being white because of that story.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 pm
Asterax

A thread to re-united the entire forum!
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

brother ali brings these subjects and similar ones up in his ustreams

its a great listen

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brotherali-com

this one here is pretty much right on the subject

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5940232
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm
Raoul DeGroot

The internet has pulled the curtain back on what little undercover fuckers people are. I used to think people were getting cooler, but no, they merely became undercover fuckers and frolic and play little fuckical games under the beatdown free umbrella of the internet and private jokes.
Basically everyone needs to spend a portion of their life in a place where they can be physically damaged for being an uncool fuckler. Until that happens things will remain real fucky.

On the bright side I think racism nowadays is expressed in clueless narrowmindedness more than outright fear fueled anger and violence. I'd like to see some figures on that.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:26 pm
Bicycle

Well since racism is perfectly acceptable now its become a sorta game for us white kids. Its competative ignorance for the sake of fashion and shock value by people who got nothing to rebel against. These are the kids whos parents taught them otherwise. The actual racists are actually racist but its the same dynamic. They usually have better jokes though
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Brynjar

Edit: nevermind
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 pm
Mac Lethal

Bicycle wrote:
Well since racism is perfectly acceptable now its become a sorta game for us white kids. Its competative ignorance for the sake of fashion and shock value by people who got nothing to rebel against. These are the kids whos parents taught them otherwise. The actual racists are actually racist but its the same dynamic. They usually have better jokes though

Interesting point. I think I meant the actual racists. Not the ironic racists.

I mean genuinely racist people who have absolutely no idea how to interact with non-whites, have absolutely no grasp on the origin of hip-hop, yet are DIE HARD indieground hip-hop fans. Or Eminem fans. Or ICP fans/ Jugalows.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:50 pm
SoSuhMe

Mac Lethal wrote:

Kinda reminds me of a couple hockey fans i know. They "love hockey" because its the last bastion of white supremecy in sports. Ya, thats really loving a sport right.

Another thing though is they are probably young and ignorant. Honestly i remember saying the same things "this is real hip hop, fuck that bling shit, etc.) but for me at least conciously i wasnt thinking of it as a racial issue at all. My favorite artists were Aceyalone, Ab Rude and such. I'm sure some of them are bigots but i'm even more sure they all have some growing up to do.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm
iammessage

i moved to a small suburb of columbus recently (from columbus) and have had the pleasure of introducing a lot of "underground" music to a lot of kids i have met...and i often get the question "is this guy white?"...and when the artist IS white its followed by "ill have to check him out"...it has happened more than a few times...its weird, and uncomfortable....

i think there is a lot of underlying racism in many white rappers fan base...kids that are just plain racist and like the thought of a white guy being successful at a black art.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next