Search
Register
So what happened to the forum lately?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

C.R.A.Z.Y

phataccino wrote:
Confidential wrote:
I can understand smoking in the treehouse, but who listens to NPR at 11 years old?

Who listens to Prarie Home Companion at any age?

i discovered public radio on the end of the fm dial and it transformed my world. just like discovering a completely finished tree house abandoned in the wood on the lake. it seemed magical. then i discovered public tv. wow.

anyways i moved on from jogging and goofy head and wristbands, i moved on from cigarettes and tree houses, and one day i will move on from this forum.

that's Life.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am
remind

What happened to this thread?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 am
neveragainlikesheep

Fuck that. NPR is where it is at.

I'm not a fan of APHC, but NPR is first class. Very good.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:08 am
X the Outsider

Sarcastro wrote:
we don't talk about hiphop cause we're all old and the hiphop we used to love we don't love no more, in fact a lot of us hate her now, we get upset when we're reminded of our time together, and the hiphop we're with now we don't really love love, like we love her and she's still awesome but we're not making mixtapes for her or staying up til 2 am on a weekday talking on the phone even though we know we'll see her the next day.

It's like Sade said, it's never as good as the first time.

This is the truth right here. Hip-Hop is the ex we all think is a whore now.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:12 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I hate A Prairie Home Companion. It's the worst thing on NPR by far.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 am
phataccino

Yeah...I wasn't putting all of NPR on blast, just Prairie Home Companion. I don't understand how anyone listens to that. Who comprises it's audience?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

APHC is great. I don't listen to it much on my own but when I go back to my parents' house for a weekend and I wake up to my mom whipping up something in the kitchen with Garrison Keillor's voice in the background... it's perfect. TAL, Car Talk, Whaddya Know, and even Wait Wait Don't Tell Me always put me in a good mood. Maybe it's the associated memories but that Saturday lineup is solid.

Jogging is great exercise but it sucks. I don't see how people do it, it's horribly boring. I can stand trail running but that's not so convenient when you live in the city. I'll stick to biking and the occasional hike to keep in shape - weaving through traffic and being in the woods is exhilarating enough for me to not notice the pain. The rest of you masochists can continue to put one foot in front of the other and pretend it's fun.

Sarcasto nailed it with the hip hop. I think this board is mostly made up of 25-30 year olds. 5-10 years ago we were obsessed but now we're just disappointed.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 am
laurapalmer

APHC is awful. My wife is going to nyc tomorrow for a live wait, wait don't tell me, while i hold down the kids alone. NPR is super solid.

As for hip-hop talk, we don't talk about the shit enough...but there isn't a lot to talk about either that came out over the last few months that was stand out. I can think of maybe 5 records that are even in rotation right now.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:00 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

i think you all are expecting too much from APHC. it's not a compelling show. it doesn't have "driveway moments" like TAL or Radio Lab. it's pleasant background chatter - bluegrass, mildly funny skits, lutheran jokes and garrison's smooth soothing voice.

i often have trouble listening to TAL or Radio Lab with other people around because the shows are so interesting i get angry when people interrupt. often i just end up turning it off and downloading the podcast so i can listen to it alone. APHC on the other hand - that's perfect for cooking up a sunday brunch with the fam.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

crash wrote:
APHC on the other hand - that's perfect for cooking up a sunday brunch with the fam.

imagine if every day were sunday brunch with the fam

;)
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 pm
redball

*cough* *cough* *cough*

APHC is the weakest link on NPR. It's the only non-music show that makes me change the station. My masseuse loves APHC, but she also had me proof a consent form today that starts out, "I understand [redacted] is a licensed spiritual healer qualified to help me surrender to the Divine and accept Divine healing on every level of my being." Tonight may be my last cheap massage. This is a big problem for me, but maybe its a good insight into the kind of person who really likes APHC.

Though, I don't listen to as much NPR now that I have a free trial of Sirius and I get Hip Hop Nation. This is a great way to make use of the in-dash woofer.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:12 pm
erich

i would love to talk about how awesome rap music is, how awful sexism, homophobia and the glorification of violence is, and how those two things converge, but it's tough, even here. this place is better than almost anywhere else for that, but it's still a shame when the threads devolve into a pissing match between people who don't give a fuck and people who give a fuck in really condescending, pedantic ways. i've been guilty of both of those things at different times.

i think the making beats thread is pretty cool. i haven't even really posted in it, but i like what's going on in there for the most part. maybe i'm just a geek for that kind of thing, though.

also, radiolab owns my goddamned life. so much cool info in there, and the production is really remarkable. it keeps me flush with interesting anecdotes for days.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:14 pm
Intrinsic

bakemosphere wrote:
reddit or bust

touché. i used to come here mostly for indie rap news and underground political news/discussion. reddits well on top of the latter, so now i'm just here for the former.

still dunno why i bother subscribing to r/Israel tho...
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:52 pm
Asterax

X the Outsider wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:
we don't talk about hiphop cause we're all old and the hiphop we used to love we don't love no more, in fact a lot of us hate her now, we get upset when we're reminded of our time together, and the hiphop we're with now we don't really love love, like we love her and she's still awesome but we're not making mixtapes for her or staying up til 2 am on a weekday talking on the phone even though we know we'll see her the next day.

It's like Sade said, it's never as good as the first time.

This is the truth right here. Hip-Hop is the ex we all think is a whore now.

Its interesting that you use that analogy because last week I was explaining to a friend of mine how I view my relationship towards hip-hop.

Instead of breaking up with hip-hop, I explained to my friend: I feel like I've been in an eight year relationship with her and she has gotten boring. What I found interesting and exciting about her before, I do not find very exciting now. I am just "floating" in our relationship.

More importantly, I am not going to keep listening to a type of music if I don't enjoy it anymore. If that happens, I am going to listen to what makes me happy instead and not live in the past.

Last edited by Asterax on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:12 pm
mancabbage

Odd shit, I still listen to everything
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next