Search
Register
RIP Greg Giraldo
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

I said two different things that were unrelated. My point was that its distasteful to crap on the dead, especially if the person is put into one box that was a small part of their persona. Its taking a cheap shot at someone you didnt like because they were known for cheap shots.

I don't dig the racist elements from rap battles or roasts, and I really haven't heard your opinions of this element in rap battles, per se. If anything, there are similarities in the low brow limits of both. The audiences of both are looking for the same type of entertainment - skillful shit talking. I do agree with you that the racist stuff comes off like people that are racists in their private lives now get a free pass for a few minutes.

I just know if you subject yourself to a battle or roast, that it is expected that you will catch some harsh insults throw at you. I doubt the Roastee contacts their lawyer afterwords to start suing for slander. So, I'm not sure why its necessary to have sympathy for the Roastees.

Edit: I hope you are not taking this discussion personally. I thought we were just having healthy debate here. I definitely respect your character as a person, so please don't think I'm implying anything negative about your personal character, OK?
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I don't know how else I can state my point without totally dumbing myself down and becoming the actual pot roast. So I will say this...

I think it's a shame that someone whose brilliance and kindness many people attest to can be reduced to roast jokes in his death. If that's not a motivation to do more with our lives, our kindness and our brilliance then I don't know what is. I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does. Maybe it's because I DID make a name for myself in the battle circuit. Maybe i feel like it's a crying shame this dude's career didn't blossom outside of his own "battle circuit." But he really did dance for that camera every time comedy central asked him to. Now I feel like it's time for someone to post one of his stand-up routines so I can see what I'm missing.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:36 am
Disharmony

If he roasted Justin Timberlake no one would be complaining.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am
RoNn1e

<table><tbody><tr><td>Jokes.com</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Greg Giraldo - Not That Hispanic</td></tr><tr><td>comedians.comedycentral.com</td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td><table><tr><td>Greg Giraldo Stand-Up</td><td>Greg Giraldo Jokes</td><td>Hasselhoff Roast Videos</td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:48 am
Stumbleweed

Sage Francis wrote:

I think it's a shame that someone whose brilliance and kindness many people attest to can be reduced to roast jokes in his death. If that's not a motivation to do more with our lives, our kindness and our brilliance then I don't know what is. I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does.

I gets with this.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Disharmony wrote:

A man can dream.

But, hey, speaking of...

This is damn impressive:

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 pm
Bob_ptmfus

^I saw that and was wondering what Black Thought must be thinking, having these guys do this instead of him.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:29 pm
futuristxen

http://vimeo.com/11839333

Giraldo talking
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm
Raoul DeGroot

So that's the single extant clip of him sounding like a human being or what? It's a minute long.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Okay, I saw some youtubes of him and feel sad for him now. He looks like a big shaggy kid if you ignore his leather jackets. His routine isn't very good, but he doesn't have that comedy tunnel vision that I hate. He seemed to genuinely care about the right stuff.
Refer to Sage's posts on the sadness of his life/death. Case closed.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:51 pm
kese

Sage Francis wrote:
Disharmony wrote:

A man can dream.

But, hey, speaking of...

This is damn impressive:

That kind of made me sad. Couldn't get halfway through.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6