Search
Register
RIP Greg Giraldo
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Bicycle

i was totally thinking that maybe I shouldn't use the term 'elitist sellout' because it sounds too late 90's underground hiphop and this is 2010 and that shit aint fashionable anymore. We like Jay Z now

fuck it. Im so cutting edge, im behind the times. But really I just suck. What can you do?

He's not making fun of douche bags and other celebrity dribble, he's making fun of the audience for getting caught up in it and thats a total dick move
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 pm
AdamBomb

Sage Francis wrote:
Disharmony wrote:
Flav dissed himself long before any roast came along.

I was kinda sorta joking, but I can't really agree with this.

Greatest hype man alive > deadest roast master

all day.

Or for most people when Flav dies, people will just remember that he was on Flavor of Love. "Man...the Flavor of Love guy died!"

On a side note, can we at least agree:

>>>> or
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm
Raoul DeGroot

I did not realize that Rico Suave had a chin of such Lenoian proportions.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Plus look at that Geraldino dude. You don't make faces like that and be a happy guy. Where are you guys getting that he was mr poet? mr tendercakes?
Guy was spoiled milk curds and the scent of stale Hardees breakfast on leather seats.
I don't trust any of these fellow dude comics.
He's a sourpuss. I read people instantly and accurately.

Look at Geraldo though. That is a nice man. Like a golden retriever.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 pm
Disharmony

People thought Gacy was a nice man until he admitted to molesting and murdering children. I bet if we looked under Giraldo's floor boards we'd find that the secrets he's buried are way funnier than decomposing boys.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:48 pm
futuristxen

Bicycle wrote:

Isn't greg geraldo just that dude who exploits men, women and himself for money by hosting possibly the biggest hollywood circle jerk ever?

Those roasts are some of the most trite bullshit ive ever been privy too. Not quite as trite as the 'best of comedy central roasts special' hosted by greg geraldo. which was essentially Comedy Central jerking itself off to itself jerking itself off

If greg geraldo was indeed a smart man then he must have realized the completely disposable and incestuous nature of what those shows are all about. but he still attached himself to them which kinda makes him more of an elitist sellout with his head up his ass rather than anything I care about

Sigh. The Friars Club Roasts are a comic tradition. They've been doing it since the 50s. If anything Giraldo would be being full of bullshit if he didn't do it. Going and doing that is a way to connect with and pay homage to the history of comedy. You go there, you tell your dirty roast jokes, and you pay respects to the people that came before you in comedy. All the old men up in the rafters. Those people. That's what it is. Especially for comics of this generation. Just about any comic you can think of has probably done a roast or two. Just because you go and do the New York Friars Club Roast, doesn't mean that's the kind of comic you are.

It's an exercise in a particular style. A style that isn't exactly in vogue in comedy right now anyways, and a style that Giraldo didn't do outside of those roasts.

You guys are basically holding it against him that he was good at this one thing.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Disharmony wrote:
Too bad the idiot died....he didn't know what he had.

What is this, 8th grade?
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:22 am
Disharmony

Sage Francis wrote:
Disharmony wrote:
Too bad the idiot died....he didn't know what he had.

What is this, 8th grade?
Tomorrow. 8am. At my bus stop. Be there.

Bring your best Pokemon deck.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 am
selfworth

futuristxen wrote:
Bicycle wrote:

Isn't greg geraldo just that dude who exploits men, women and himself for money by hosting possibly the biggest hollywood circle jerk ever?

Those roasts are some of the most trite bullshit ive ever been privy too. Not quite as trite as the 'best of comedy central roasts special' hosted by greg geraldo. which was essentially Comedy Central jerking itself off to itself jerking itself off

If greg geraldo was indeed a smart man then he must have realized the completely disposable and incestuous nature of what those shows are all about. but he still attached himself to them which kinda makes him more of an elitist sellout with his head up his ass rather than anything I care about

Sigh. The Friars Club Roasts are a comic tradition. They've been doing it since the 50s. If anything Giraldo would be being full of bullshit if he didn't do it. Going and doing that is a way to connect with and pay homage to the history of comedy. You go there, you tell your dirty roast jokes, and you pay respects to the people that came before you in comedy. All the old men up in the rafters. Those people. That's what it is. Especially for comics of this generation. Just about any comic you can think of has probably done a roast or two. Just because you go and do the New York Friars Club Roast, doesn't mean that's the kind of comic you are.

It's an exercise in a particular style. A style that isn't exactly in vogue in comedy right now anyways, and a style that Giraldo didn't do outside of those roasts.

You guys are basically holding it against him that he was good at this one thing.

yeah, but he was doing comedy central roasts not old school friars club, i mean they were celebrating flavor flav and pamela anderson, what the fuck have they done for comedy? plus, i saw in the credits that larry the cable guy was the executive producer for his roast, so doesn't that pretty much mean he paid to be roasted, now that's lame, i think the same went for the hoff. i think that kinda how it works, you get the money together and comedy central will roast you. it's not like the friar's where you really made to pay your dues to get roasts. Sage you should get the money raised and have a roast on comedy central, hopefully they can some high quality roasters on there like in the past, such as warren sapp and gary busey, i mean what the fuck, who puts these people up there on the stage, it's like they needed to fill some seats on stage so they pulled some celebrity out of the crowd before the show started.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That redneck roast magnified my reason I think those things are complete bullshit. These dudes could not WAIT to drop racist shit on a mainstream level and do it with a shit-eating grin...

"it's a roast, ya know? What did you expect? Awww c'mon."

I still watch the roasts. I laugh at them. I always keep a sliver of hope that someone will roast in a classy way. Sometimes...just sometimes...it happens.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Greg often accepted the notion that he was "Comedy Central's bitch" and he did it humbly. Someone also said on one of the roasts (can't remember who), "Ah Greg Giraldo, once again you killed tonight, and once again it will lead to nothing". It was common knowledge that he did the roasts because he was good at it and Comedy Central owned his ass, despite being waayy too good for the gig.

He filled the role better than anyone else could. He also had a good deal of sincerity. During Larry The Cable Guy's roast he literally turned to him and say "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU FAMOUS??" and kinda meant it. I like that.

He was well respected in the comedy community. Jon Stewart had a really heartfelt send-off the day it happened, and the heavy weights in comedy have publicly acknowledged taking it hard.

As much as I understand the argument being presented, I can't roll with it. I was super bummed to hear of his passing, and it's largely because I think he was on the brink of being a bigger name in comedy.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 am
AdamBomb

What's worse? Shitting on someone to their face in public or shitting on them after they die? How is that classy?
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:12 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Neither is classy. Are you suggesting that I'm trying to roast him in his death with a touch of class? That's not the move I'm trying to make, Adambomb.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am
AdamBomb

Sage Francis wrote:
Neither is classy. Are you suggesting that I'm trying to roast him in his death with a touch of class? That's not the move I'm trying to make, Adambomb.

I'm sayin...

That like the pot roast calling the kettle chips brown.

And just an aside...just an observation. Much like those Roasts, it seems like rap battles have gotten more racist in their content in recent years, particularly in the bigger ones Ive seen like Grindtime. It seems like 75% of the jabs are race-based. Aren't rap battles almost kind of a roasting back and forth, but still all about the love?
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

uhhhhhh....no?

It's not about the love most of the time. Definitely not. It's lame. It's anti-classy. It's downright cheap.

And to make it clear, this is not like the pot roast calling the kettle chips brown. I don't know what you're missing exactly but it seems to be a lot.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next