Search
Register
My video interview with Marvel Comics
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

sarah q

Sage Francis wrote:
Please don't tell me that this is the first time you guys have taken notice to my world famous yellow swim trunks. They've been part of my touring attire forever.

I have seen them before, just never in an interview.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:14 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

they are my only pair of shorts and I wear them every summer. I need to stop that.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm
sarah q

Sage Francis wrote:
they are my only pair of shorts and I wear them every summer. I need to stop that.

J recently realized that he is wearing the same black PFA/SFR shirt in every single photo that's been taken of him the last few months. He was unsure if it was a coincidence or if he has been wearing the shirt every day.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:04 pm
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

squirtisblow wrote:
damn, that's awesome, sage. i've always loved comic books growing up. It's something i kind of want to get back into, but i feel like i don't need to spend money on em again. You should send out some of those comics with SFR orders....

My love for comics has recently been reignited thanks to the marvel app on my phone.. for real it's a tour van's best friend!
Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 pm
Tempest

The coolest comic I ever read was SEAGUY..

I think you should check it out.

[img]http://witwar.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/seaguy_trade_cover2.jpgl[/img]
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:49 am
futuristxen

Did you read the most recent Seaguy story that came out like last year? It was unreal.
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

futuristxen wrote:

Stephen King is also doing a comic book right now called American Vampire which is supposedly very terrific.

i hope so because the art for The Stand and the Dark Tower were awful they looked like they were done by child interns. I couldnt even resell them at ten percent market value brand new.

:(
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:52 am
Sarcastro

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

Stephen King is also doing a comic book right now called American Vampire which is supposedly very terrific.

i hope so because the art for The Stand and the Dark Tower were awful they looked like they were done by child interns. I couldnt even resell them at ten percent market value brand new.

do you mean the random illustrations in the book before each section or like the cover art? or is there like a Dark Tower comic book or something?
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm
futuristxen

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

Hmm...I don't think the art was that bad...but I didn't read past the first few issues. I'm not a big stephen king fan, so I got bored with it.

If there are a bunch of Child Interns that can produce pages of this quality, then I fear for all of my artist friends, who will soon be put out of work. I'm not saying this is great artwork, but for comic books it's good. I believe Jae Lee actually has won awards for his artwork in the past.

What would you call good comic book art? Or maybe more importantly mediocre?
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i bought the first 2 four comic collections for each series
so i got two stand books which were eight comics each, i think
and like wise with the dark tower.

in comparison to other comics the art seemed hasty and ill conceived
so i decided not to collect the rest of either series as i didnt fancy them

meh. i heart mr stuffins.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

Sarcastro wrote:

do you mean the random illustrations in the book before each section or like the cover art? or is there like a Dark Tower comic book or something?

the illustrated story books themselves- i got two from each series
dark tower and the stand
which was like maybe 16 single issues total ?

i just didnt dig on them to the point where i decided not to fulfil the collection to its end and resold what i had at only 9% mkt value

the rebuy price reflects the desirability of the resold product

anyways im an avid king collector movies, books comics. some dont win for me.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 am
Flossin

I dig Jae Lee. But in most of his comics that I read the art was pretty damn dark to the point where I had some trouble figuring out what the hell is happening, to be honest. It might have been the inkers fault, though.
Coupled with Isanove, I think his art looks great.

I checked out some of those Dark Tower comics when they first came out but kinda stopped after a couple issues. My attention wandered off, I guess.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 am
futuristxen

Flossin wrote:
I dig Jae Lee. But in most of his comics that I read the art was pretty damn dark to the point where I had some trouble figuring out what the hell is happening, to be honest. It might have been the inkers fault, though.
Coupled with Isanove, I think his art looks great.

Tan has that problem as well. I like Tan myself, but I have friends who loathe his artwork because it's sometimes hard to tell what is going on. With artists like that I think the inker is hugely important(I mean they always are, but in that case even moreso).

Quote:

I checked out some of those Dark Tower comics when they first came out but kinda stopped after a couple issues. My attention wandered off, I guess.

Me too. They were kind of ponderous and long winded in boring ways. Pretty books, but boring as fuck. And I wasn't interested in the source material anyways.

I'm semi-interested to check out American Vampire just because it's King writing for comics, not getting adapted. But then I remember I don't really care about King, and have had my fill of vampire related art. I get why vampires are so popular right now, because we live in soulless dissociated times, and everyone wants to think that they secretly have some great power within them, but that they repress it they're ashamed, la di da di da. But it doesn't mean it's not played out at this point.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 am
Flossin

^ Yep. All of that sounds right to me. I'm not familiar with the Dark Tower books, though, so when I checked out the comics I wasn't really expecting anything out of them etc.

I kinda dug some of the Jae Lee Marvel stuff, even though it was dark as shit. I think I still have the Fantastic Four "1, 2, 3, 4" mini by him and I thought it was pretty great. Jae Lee is cool. Much cooler than Jim Lee, at least. [/my 2 cents]
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2