Search
Register
local news rapist remix
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

name

Jesse wrote:
Hilarious, a dude from the projects talks like a dude from the projects.

Nothing hits home like a sense of cultural superiority!

Certainly laughing at how some young black kid talks cuts right through any pall that an attempted rape should cast over anything.

I feel I understand everything now. I can see God.

well, chief. the problem with your ostentatiously non-pretentious comment is that it betrays more than you'd like about your feelings toward this. ain't nothing wrong with saying that this cat is funny. it's got nothing to do with race. if you think it does, then that's telling.

attempted rape. not funny.
antoine's curiously sarcastic, hyberbolic, then strangely dignified response. funny.

it's ok. you don't have to pretend that you didn't chuckle when he said "..and hide your husbands, cause they'r rapin evertybody out here". it won't turn you into a republican. it won't even mean that you're insensitive. (i promise.)

actually, i find the raw footage much funnier than the song -- which was thrown in because lately i marvel at the speed with which the interweb digests and diseminates this kind of stuff (for better or worse).
Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:55 pm
Jesse

name wrote:
it's got nothing to do with race. if you think it does, then that's telling.
Ohhhhh pleeeeeease.

Quote:

it's ok. you don't have to pretend that you didn't chuckle when he said "..and hide your husbands, cause they'r rapin evertybody out here". it won't turn you into a republican. it won't even mean that you're insensitive. (i promise.)
Sighhhhh. I'm not worried about what it MEANS. It knocks me out of the mood to find shit funny because of genuine terrible associations from the real world, and also he's just some dude speaking with slight idiosyncrasies that are not surprising or unfamiliar to me so it wouldn't strike me as very funny even if it didn't have that hurdle.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 am
name

Jesse wrote:
and also he's just some dude speaking with slight idiosyncrasies that are not surprising or unfamiliar to me

oh, i see.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

he reminds me of Lafayette from True Blood.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am
mancabbage

the video ain't even my cup of tea, but jesse jumping in the deep end again is predictable, i'm just surprised there's no link to one of his songs on there..

Pretty sure half the reason the dude jumps on trivial shit like this like a fucking kangaroo is more about getting a reaction than anything else, fuck it
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Jesse

mancabbage wrote:
the video ain't even my cup of tea, but jesse jumping in the deep end again is predictable, i'm just surprised there's no link to one of his songs on there..

Pretty sure half the reason the dude jumps on trivial shit like this like a fucking kangaroo is more about getting a reaction than anything else, fuck it
I am soooooooo bored of this. Aren't you bored of this? You even admit you don't care about this topic, so can it.

Stick to being the wacky mad bastard from the jolly olde who has a pint and a larf now and then and just ignore my shit! I promise I am not trying to provoke a reaction (I AM a reaction), I would be super psyched to not hear about yours anymore.

Here is a free song from 2006: "Heart of a G.I.R.L."

And hey check this 7" I did with Thesis Sahib & Frank Deluxe in 2004:
Imaginary Friends

I hope they really irritate you! Thanks again!
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:17 pm
mancabbage

hahahahaha well played man, that got a laugh, maybe i came across wrong - i aint pissed, i just sayin fuck it, thats ur thing, watever. You prolly shouldn't admit you like lady sovereign in public much more though, men in white jackets will pop up, force feed you grade A meds and you'll spend the rest of your days in a padded room making sculptures of the mr men out of your toe nails and writing love letters to scooby doo. happened to my mate, not pretty
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 pm
Jesse

mancabbage wrote:
You prolly shouldn't admit you like lady sovereign in public much more though, men in white jackets will pop up, force feed you grade A meds and you'll spend the rest of your days in a padded room making sculptures of the mr men out of your toe nails and writing love letters to scooby doo. happened to my mate, not pretty
Her last record was soooooo bad. Lady MC's always wind up singing and it breaks my heart every time.

Nicki Minaj! Don't do it! Step away from the autotune!

My toenails would make Mr Tickle only. It's fucked.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 pm
poisonfree

Jesse wrote:
Hilarious, a dude from the projects talks like a dude from the projects.

Nothing hits home like a sense of cultural superiority!

Certainly laughing at how some young black kid talks cuts right through any pall that an attempted rape should cast over anything.

I feel I understand everything now. I can see God.

I am always the guy that asks people what they mean when they say some every-day-racism type shit. But Jesse damn! But the way Dodsen is speaking is not what is funny about this video. It's because he is animated, it's that he is clever, and also that he is pissed and said some unintentionally funny stuff due to his anger.

nobody thinks this is funny because he said "Errbody"
Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AharonHebert

if this video featured an over the top effeminate hick, in a trailer park, saying the same things, it would be just as funny. when you read hick did you imagine a white person? if so, RACIST
Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 am
PoetryBox

jesse seems like a sad fellow...i think almost all your posts are about complaining about things, which isnt bad but the way you go about it makes you look like an old lady with a beard...no one is ever gonna take you seriously..cheer up, your canadian
Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 am
Bob_ptmfus

So I caught this thread after it was linked to in the random video thread and I thought I should throw in this update to the story:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/bed-intruder-rant-buys-family-a-new-home/

‘Bed Intruder’ Rant Earns Family a New Home
By ROBERT MACKEY

Updated | 7:46 p.m. It began with unlikely fodder for music, comedy or pop culture stardom: a local news report about an attempted rape. But then the victim’s brother stepped before the camera and delivered a lecture to the stranger who had tried to attack his sister one night last month in Huntsville, Ala., that somehow managed to be both deeply angry and oddly compelling.

Within hours a viral video franchise was born when a copy of that report, about the intruder found in Kelly Dodson’s bed, and her brother Antoine’s reaction, was posted on YouTube and quickly shot up the viral video charts.

Soon enough Mr. Dodson’s warnings to Huntsville residents — “Well, obviously we have a rapist in Lincoln Park; he’s climbing in your windows, he’s snatching your people up, trying to rape ‘em, so you all need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband ’cause they’re raping everybody out here” — racked up millions of views and attracted the attention of the Gregory Brothers, who transform news clips into songs for their popular “ Auto-Tune the News” series.

That led to their reworking of Mr. Dodson’s rant as “The Bed Intruder Song,” which has now been seen more than 10 million times on YouTube and reached No. 3 on the iTunes R&B chart.

That song, in turn, has now spawned dozens of covers and remixes on YouTube, including this one, performed by a North Carolina A&T marching band:

What distinguishes this surprise hit from other viral videos is that its accidental star, Mr. Dodson, is sharing in all the profits from the auto-tuned version and hopes that his new fame could be a route out of the projects for his family.

In an interview with Wired about their hit, Evan Gregory said, “Antoine is participating in all of the revenue from the sale of anything we do [with the song], 50-50.” His brother, Michael, added:

We’re really breaking ‘unintentional singing’ ground, so we’re trying to set precedents by making it so that Antoine, or whoever that artist might be in the future, has a stake not only as an artist but as a co-author of the song. It’s like you said: He wrote the lyrics, he’s the one who put it out there. What we’re doing on iTunes and on any other sales, we’re splitting the revenue after it gets through Apple down the middle.

For his part, less than three weeks after the original report was broadcast, between media interviews, Mr. Dodson is now selling “Hide Yo’ Kids, Hide Yo’ Wife” T-shirts on Facebook, bantering with thousands of followers day and night on Twitter, asking visitors to his Web site to donate money to a “Help the Dodson Family” account on PayPal and responding to questions from his fans on YouTube:

While Mr. Dodson told ABC News this week that his sister’s attacker was still on the loose, he also said that he has made “a nice amount of money,” from his various new income streams: “enough to move my family from the projects.”

In a report on Mr. Dodson’s sudden Internet fame, the Huntsville television station that first put him before the public reported that some African-American viewers had called to complain that “interviews with people like Antoine reflects poorly on the community.” Jonathan Capehart of The Washington Post wrote that he understood that reaction, since “Dodson’s cringe-inducing performance was something I — and whole bunch of other folks — thought only existed in the comedic minds of Eddie Murphy and Tyler Perry.” But, Mr. Capehart argued, after reflection it seemed unfair to criticize Mr. Dodson for his spontaneous outburst or flamboyant manner:

[W]e must put aside our judgments and remember that we don’t know Dodson, his family or their story. Like millions of families across this country, the Dodsons appear to be proud people who are making their way the best they can. They crave security and comfort. And no matter where you live, when that sense of safety is shattered, you lash out. Fo’ real.

Update: Baratunde Thurston, The Onion’s Web editor, and a co-founder of the blog Jack and Jill Politics, which brings “a black bourgeoisie perspective” to discussions of American politics and culture told Andy Carvin of NPR that when he first saw the original news report on YouTube, “I thought it was amazing and embarrassing and hilarious and tragic. One of my commenters pointed out the Auto-Tune the News remix and I posted that as well with the same set of feelings.”

He added:

As the remix took off, I became increasingly uncomfortable with its separation from the underlying situation. A woman was sexually assaulted and her brother was rightfully upset. People online seemed to be laughing at him and not with him (because he wasn’t laughing), as Dodson fulfilled multiple stereotypes in one short news segment. Watching the wider Web jump on this meme, all but forgetting why Dodson was upset, seemed like a form of ‘class tourism.’ Folks with no exposure to the projects could dip their toes into YouTube and get a taste.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Flossin

Good for the Dodsons.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:36 pm
AdamBomb

Flossin wrote:
Good for the Dodsons.

Thats what Im saying. This guy strikes me as a good dude. Sucks that his sister was violated, but it could have just gone unnoticed in the police report files. If there is some guy to get internet rich, I'm happy its Antoine. The autotune version just seals the deal, too.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Dream Inspired

hey! jessies gone. back to the fun. :D
i got the same thing adam. i think this dude is the shit and i'm glad that something good came from such a horrible act.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next