Register
interview for Sioux Falls' paper 5/18/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview for Sioux Falls' paper 5/18/03  Reply with quote  

Where are you?

"I am sitting at the kitchen table of my home in Rhode Island listening to the Best of Hall and Oats."

Literary scholars and critics like to say that the only true contemporary poetry is rap. It's become cliche. I tend to think most rap isn't too much higher, intellectually, than nursery rhymes. But when I hear your work or similar artists like Slug and Eyedea the words do feel like poetry (that's a complement). What's your take on rap as poetry?

"I don't even know. I used to think all rap was poetry. And then I discovered some really mind blowing poetry and I decided that none of rap was poetry. It was just rap. Then I decided that some lyrics in all music forms is very poetic. Rap certainly isn't any more poetic than other styles of music."

Or, is rap/hip-hop an updated form of journalism or editorialism?

"It was updated in the late seventies and early 80's. It was updated even more so in the late 80's. Since then it hasn't really been updated in those ways. It is FAR from journalistic. Of course it is editorial based."

"Makeshift Patriot" is included on the latest Epitaph "Punk O Rama" compilation. What's going on there? Are you working a record deal with Epitaph?

"I have signed a record deal with Epitaph records."

Speaking of "Makeshift Patriot," you're playing here on Memorial Day. How ironic is that for you?

"That is not terribly ironic."

Have you had any negative reaction from people claiming you're unpatriotic due to that song?

"I sure have. I have also had people salute the patriotism that song exemplifies."

You're straight edge, correct? Do you catch grief from others in the hip-hop scene for it?

"I don't have many drinking buddies."

What was the impetus for your straight-edge lifestyle?

"'dictionary.com:
im·pe·tus·es
An impelling force; an impulse.
The force or energy associated with a moving body.'

Hmmm...well...I don't carry a straight edge torch. All I know is I detest how some people act around others while under the influence of drugs. I don't want to be that guy."

In recent years there's been a growing hip-hop scene here in the prairie city of Sioux Falls. Does it surprise you when small cities like this sprout hip-hop collectives?

"Hell no. That's not surprising at all. Hiphop has permeated all corners of the Earth. It's a challenge to find a place that hiphop hasn't infiltrated yet. I will find that place...and never leave."

Are you going to do any Non-Prophets material at the show?

"Yes. Mainly I do the new material without any music...just so people can hear what I'm saying since it will be their first time hearing it. But the beats are hard as hell so maybe I should just rock the whole damn album live. It's difficult for me to know what the crowd would enjoy more. Personally, I just want to have a session where we sit down and hit on each other's girlfriends. I won't bring mine."

There's a decent underground scene here, but also a lot of mainstream/radio hip-hop heads here driving around in their wannabe "Fast and Furious" cars. How would you describe your show to them?

"A wake up call."

I've read that you regret doing music with ESPN for the X Games, why?

"Because you were doing some research on me I guess."

What's next for you and the Non-Prophets?

"We might do a VERY emo album to counter the testosterone induced album we just pumped out. Who knows...the Non-Prophets stuff gives me a chance to do stuff I wouldn't normally fuck on my solo time. It's refreshing."

You've been photographed wearing a Metallica patch on a jean jacket, are you excited for their next album?

"Nope."

Anything else you want to say about the show?

"I will show lots of humility. That's all I can say."
Post Fri May 16, 2003 11:36 am
UncleSylis

Re: interview for Sioux Falls' paper 5/18/03  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:

bwahahahaha. Classic.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 11:49 am
the Wiper

indeed.
Post Sun May 18, 2003 11:46 pm
Bobby Anticon

Mmmmm  Reply with quote  

Wow didn't Buck do something for the Hizzockey Awards?
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:54 pm

maxamillion

Re: interview for Sioux Falls' paper 5/18/03  Reply with quote  

UncleSylis wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

bwahahahaha. Classic.

this shit just made my day, this will be the qoute of the week!!!!
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:19 am

Jump to: