Search
Register
No cake for Hitler kid
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

mzehe916

^^^^ I think that is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure the Malcolm's, Kareem's, Daquan's, Ricardo's, etc. aren't breaking laws because of their names. I have a feeling it deals more with the culture (i.e. poverty, gangs, drugs, etc.) that they are raised in or around.

This would be like me saying that people that don't have blond hair and blue eyes are more likely to commit crimes. Bullshit.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

That's mentioned in the article. Just thought it was relevant, as the kids have shitty names and look like they're being raised in shitty environments.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:38 pm
jamkar

I was particularly worried about this with the Hitler kid. I mean, what kid named Adolf Hitler won't get the shit kicked out of him in school? -- And then imagine all the mean jokes - which will surely lead to some kind of fucked up complex and this kid will end up being one of the ones in the newspaper after shooting 40 of his classmates.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 am
X the Outsider

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Boys With Unpopular Names More Likely to Break Law

livescience.com 2 hrs 4 mins ago

Boys in the United States with common names like Michael and David are less likely to commit crimes than those named Ernest or Ivan.

David E. Kalist and Daniel Y. Lee of Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania compared the first names of male juvenile delinquents to the first names of male juveniles in the population. The researchers constructed a popularity-name index (PNI) for each name. For example, the PNI for Michael is 100, the most frequently given name during the period. The PNI for David is 50, a name given half as frequently as Michael. The PNI is approximately 1 for names such as Alec, Ernest, Ivan, Kareem, and Malcolm.

Results show that, regardless of race, juveniles with unpopular names are more likely to engage in criminal activity. The least popular names were associated with juvenile delinquency among both blacks and whites.

The findings, announced today, are detailed in the journal Social Science Quarterly.

While the names are likely not the cause of crime, the researchers argue that "they are connected to factors that increase the tendency to commit crime, such as a disadvantaged home environment, residence in a county with low socioeconomic status, and households run by one parent."

"Also, adolescents with unpopular names may be more prone to crime because they are treated differently by their peers, making it more difficult for them to form relationships," according to a statement released by the journal's publisher. "Juveniles with unpopular names may also act out because they consciously or unconsciously dislike their names."

The findings could help officials " identify individuals at high risk of committing or recommitting crime, leading to more effective and targeted intervention programs," the authors conclude.

Well my son's name is Malcolm. I however have known plenty of "common" name people who have gotten in plenty of trouble.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 pm
redball

My wife met this kid yesterday. All I can say is that he's apparently a cute kid and his family does get visitation rights. Oh, and his name hasn't been changed.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:09 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

redball wrote:
My wife met this kid yesterday. All I can say is that he's apparently a cute kid and his family does get visitation rights. Oh, and his name hasn't been changed.

Whoa. Six degrees indeed.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:42 pm
redball

Sort of... I don't want to give info here but if you're interested I can give you the short story on a back channel.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

redball wrote:
Sort of... I don't want to give info here but if you're interested I can give you the short story on a back channel.

I'm interested. Back channel me?
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:50 pm
redball

After over a year of not following this story I find out that the abuse was finally revealed. This is my favorite part, in contrast to her previous media antics:

Quote:

When her children were taken into custody, Deborah Campbell "angrily asked whether she was being forced to choose between her children and her husband, and then said, 'Take them,'" the court document said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-cannot-regain-custody-children-nazi-inspired/story?id=11334970
Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I still have no qualms with the kid being taken away on the simple fact of what his parents named him. They showed at birth they didn't care about his future and seemingly intentionally set him up for a life of abuse from day one.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:31 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6