FUNNY! An audio review of my show in the UK last week
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

FUNNY! An audio review of my show in the UK last week  Reply with quote  

It made me laugh in so many ways.

http://ipad.io/Luz

I actually received multiple messages from UK folk who were upset about my diatribe about how scientists are liars...and "getting me pissed." Just to be clear, I was referring to this overly-popular ICP internet meme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

That being said, I really enjoy the audio review style. I want more audio stuff like this popping up. It gives me something to listen to and enjoy while I peruse the internets.

Lastly, respect the motherfucking DJ. Christ sake.

Here's the performance of "Best of Times" from that show which came at the end of my set which consisted of go-go-go-go-non-stop-rapping. My diaphragm wanted to explode but other than that everything was gravy!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:09 am
Szechwan

edit. Nevermind I have nothing useful to say, in an audio clip or otherwise.

That Best of Times was dope though.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:25 am
mzehe916

Oh man, I survived that four minutes. I guess at the same time it is good to see a perspective of a non-forum member, for you. After a while I was more concerned with what that purring noise was in the background every 20 seconds or so.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 am
Buddy Peace

Hah, that was pretty fun. "Just, auuugh, religion, don't - y'know - just cos you - auuugh! Religion! Michael Palin!"

I'm not even sure if I've heard an audio review of a live show like that before, well at least, not a show that wasn't a stadium concert. I think some of the shouts he heard were from the drunk fellas who didn't mean any harm really anyway - they were just being enthusiastic, I thought. They weren't being serious.

Just as a quick answer to his DJ comments, I'm sure Dan and I would have been happy to explain to him what we were doing or what we do. But I do realise that for some it looks like just playing records. Ah well. Good link anyway! I haven't seen any other reviews but it's really cool that a lot of different people are picking up on the album. It's really exciting to see.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 am
english bob

hahaha.. can i just say, not everyone in the uk is so removed from memes.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

"all they do is... press.. play"
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am
ROTTY

That guy. i think likes his own voice.....or hes got no fingers to type. Either way he is not entitled to his opinion whatever the format. DJ button pushing, Palin popping, Religious Sage, GIBBERISH ....Fuck your mouth shut!

I enjoyed the show. I had not heard one song off the album (ducked it) and was real excited about hearing it live. Only 2 songs from the new album were played.... But I was not disappointed. Hearing the old stuff was the bollocks! Took me back to my first Sage gig at scala.

I was only disappointed when the shirtless guy was not Suplexed into the crowd for an mc fail.

Overall show was great and energy was wicked!
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:09 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

english bob wrote:
hahaha.. can i just say, not everyone in the uk is so removed from memes.

This may be true, but it's clear that the UK has not caught onto the ICP ridiculousness. For example, I did about 40 shows in the states where I gave a similar routine about miracles and how scientists are getting me pissed. If anyone was confused by that (missing out on any level of the joke, whether they know ICP or not) they never mentioned it online. Yet, I saw 4 separate mentions from show goers totally scratching their head about my comments and publicly scratching their head like, "What's wrong with Sage, man? Why does he hate science?"

It seems people were totally perplexed. And they gave me NO benefit of the doubt. Which is proof that American humor can, in fact, be dryer than English humor. So dry in fact that it's not funny one bit. But the bit shall continue.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

i showed the 'miracles' video to Pip while we were on that tour, and he reposted it to everyone in his twitter / fb followings and got lots of response. he also talked about it onstage and got big responses, so maybe this guy is just clueless.

also, some sample gold in there for Buddy. rare to find someone who doesn't know what a DJ is doing up there in 2010.

Last edited by b. dolan on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:26 pm
Jack

O fuck yes B. Dolan.

Buddy, please do something with the "all they do is... press.. play" sample

:P
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 pm
Z-0

i'd say clueless. that icp debacle went viral globally, i'd like to think most folk who are interested in the music scene have experienced some exposure to "miracles", even via a workplace "OMG!" email.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:46 pm
xGasPricesx

Sage Francis is a hip hop man who does rap and things and apparently has issues.

Those are all things I learned from the review.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:47 pm
Billy No Mates

Seriously, the guy says "he's a hip hop man," and thinks DJs just press play....and your wondering why he hasn't heard of a particular meme?

This guy sounds like he went home for a cream tea and a scone after the show. I'd say there was a continent sized gap between this guy's finger and the pulse. I hate how I try to convince non-english folks that we're nothing like the stereotype...and yet stuff like this finds its way into people's ears.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
General_Lee

That review is a young man trying to come to terms with one of his heroes being a science-fearing nutjob. He actually sounds choked at a couple points.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:27 pm
Billy No Mates

I'm not sure I believe that. If Sage was really his hero and he followed his work as closely as he said, he would know he's not a science fearing nutjob. Even if he was unware of the meme, surely if he knew anything about Sage he would realise he wasn't being 100% serious.

This guy strikes me as a casual listener who is trying to distance himself from the "trendy people" at the show...heard something he didn't like and doesn't realise he's missing the point.
Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next