Search
Register
Gallagher is not only terrible, he's also apparently crazy.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

breakfast

futuristxen wrote:
There's so many great quotes in that interview. This one is dope:
"I never have an opening act. Words are actors in your show. "

And if you can read that interview and not suspect that he's entirely cognizant of what he's doing, then you're very easily fooled. He obviously knows his comedy history, and has thought a lot about his methodology. It doesn't make him not batshit crazy, or not racist, or not homophobic, but I think it does underscore that his act is an act, unlike say Mel Gibson.

What Gallagher does is not a multilayered piece of performance art, and he's not a master of his craft or a wisened sage of comedy. He is an angry, older guy with some conservative ideas about race and sexual identity that cross over into the territory of bigotry. This set of opinions is not uncommon to angry, older guys. The only difference is that this one achieved some level of fame thirty years ago smashing fruit with a hammer.

futurist, it seems like you're willing to defend an artist's right to be a shitty human being, because they are an artist. Even if their art is shitty, you defend that art on the precept that because it is art, it is somehow also exempt from the very message it's purveying, because it is intentionally providing that message. And when you decide that Gallagher is being intentionally racist and homophobic because he has thoroughly studied comedic method and history, it makes me feel like my brain is on fire.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 am
futuristxen

Your version is certainly a more black and white streamlined one that is for sure.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:04 am
Raoul DeGroot

boo-urns
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 am
firefly

futuristxen wrote:
And if you can read that interview and not suspect that he's entirely cognizant of what he's doing, then you're very easily fooled.

HA!!!! Now that is funny.
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 am
SoSuhMe

Didn't Chris rock do a bit about stomping a "crackers" face in? I can usually tolerate that type of shit but that just made me feel awkward.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:46 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

SoSuhMe wrote:
Didn't Chris rock do a bit about stomping a "crackers" face in? I can usually tolerate that type of shit but that just made me feel awkward.

I don't remember this act. Chris Rock doesn't really seem to be a racist or sexist so much as he is someone who just says dumb shit from time to time. Like, he'll say that he thinks gay people should be allowed to get married, but then he'll say that it's okay to call a gay guy a faggot if they're "being a faggot."

That being said, "Bring The Pain" is one of the greatest hours of comedy of all time.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
Jesse

breakfast wrote:
And when you decide that Gallagher is being intentionally racist and homophobic because he has thoroughly studied comedic method and history, it makes me feel like my brain is on fire.
Hahaaa that is an amazing thing to say.

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Chris Rock doesn't really seem to be a racist or sexist so much as he is someone who just says dumb shit from time to time.
I see it differently - it seems to me that he's someone who is so intrinsically sexist that he actually genuinely tries to be better about it but can't shake it off. The stuff he said about strippers in Never Scared is on some deep-seeded misogynist shit, but I think he thinks he's being fair. He just doesn't know about the virgin-whore complex he embodies. That's why Good Hair was an absolute failure - he didn't know HOW to care about women's perspectives enough to go to anyone but men for opinions on stuff that has pretty much to do with women only. Fuckin' Andre Harrell got more face time than any chick with a weave, and any chick with a weave just got asked leading questions instead of being allowed to postulate the way the dudes did.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
boo-urns

I was saying boo-urns.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 am
Confidential

"Go overboard Gallgher"
Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am
Casey Carver

www.metallagher.com
Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:
breakfast wrote:
And when you decide that Gallagher is being intentionally racist and homophobic because he has thoroughly studied comedic method and history, it makes me feel like my brain is on fire.
Hahaaa that is an amazing thing to say.

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Chris Rock doesn't really seem to be a racist or sexist so much as he is someone who just says dumb shit from time to time.
I see it differently - it seems to me that he's someone who is so intrinsically sexist that he actually genuinely tries to be better about it but can't shake it off. The stuff he said about strippers in Never Scared is on some deep-seeded misogynist shit, but I think he thinks he's being fair. He just doesn't know about the virgin-whore complex he embodies. That's why Good Hair was an absolute failure - he didn't know HOW to care about women's perspectives enough to go to anyone but men for opinions on stuff that has pretty much to do with women only. Fuckin' Andre Harrell got more face time than any chick with a weave, and any chick with a weave just got asked leading questions instead of being allowed to postulate the way the dudes did.

This was really on point.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4