Search
Register
New DJ Shadow "Def Surrounds Us" (3 more on pg 3)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

bbreakz

This is a great record, if i was digging through the breakz crates at Satellite Records in 98 to 00. I used to love this stuff, but it isn't what I would want from Shadow. The first two sections are very ravey from that era of breakbeat. I didn't listen any farther than that.

But hey, I haven't heard a Shadow track in a long long time. So I don't know if i should have posted.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 pm
Mikal kHill

There's an interview at the end of it, it's not all song, and some guy goes on talking about how awesome shadow is and sucking his dick in the studio. Lots of wet slurpy noises and then you hear shadow strain as he really struggles to felate himself, too.

Ironically I listened to Endtroducing for the first time in a long time yesterday before hearing this and a lot of that stuff has held up really well. The guy is obviously wildly talented, but his ventures outside of sample manipulation always end like this, and it's just excruciating to listen to. Automator just doesn't put out records, but even when he moved towards all live instruments, he always maintained his awesome. Maybe Shadow needs to go back to being Automator's apprentice. I dunno. Shadow needs a John Lennon, he's Paul McCartneying his shit all over the place.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:56 pm
doubleplusgood

Mikal kHill wrote:
There's an interview at the end of it, it's not all song, and some guy goes on talking about how awesome shadow is and sucking his dick in the studio.

That's Zane Lowe. It's his M.O.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Jesse

Like nine years ago it was kind of exciting how Shadow resurrected some 90s dance and rave synth patches from the buckets of poor taste and put them to work in interesting, somewhat challenging new hip-hop (or at least electronic sample-based music in the hip-hop tradition).

But like... not only did The Outsider happen since then, which was appalling, THIS is... mindless. Dull. Insipid. Pointless.

A shadow of his former self.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:13 pm
Mikal kHill

Yeah, the Private Press was... passable, and then the Outsider was so bad, I actually took it out of the cd player and snapped it in half before throwing it out the window. It was appallingly bad.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:43 pm
Sarcastro

I find cds borderline impossible to break in two. I always think it's going to be easy and then half way through I realize it gives way and doesn't break like I would expect.

I'm glad to hear your experience went well
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:05 pm
Mikal kHill

I was driving a semi truck, too.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm
bbreakz

I love ravey synths too. It just doesn't work here, so you're right. That first section literally sounds exactly like a 100 "funky break" records I own, and love.

Dan Le Sac V Scroob do a good job of bringing the rave on some tracks. I like how they do it.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:37 pm
tommi teardrop

You guys are miserable. This is a banger. If you had been told that Alias made the beat, it would be getting nothing but praise. But we've decided that we don't really like DJ Shadow anymore, especially when he strays from hip hoppy moody samples.

I don't know. Maybe smoke some pot or something and listen again. This song is cool.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 pm
Jesse

tommi teardrop wrote:
But we've decided that we don't really like DJ Shadow anymore, especially when he strays from hip hoppy moody samples.

1 - that's a weird presumption, that people feel compelled to PRETEND to hate something they actually think is great.

2 - You can't "stray" from something you haven't done in more than ten years.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 pm
AdamBomb

tommi teardrop wrote:
You guys are miserable. This is a banger. If you had been told that Alias made the beat, it would be getting nothing but praise. But we've decided that we don't really like DJ Shadow anymore, especially when he strays from hip hoppy moody samples.

I don't know. Maybe smoke some pot or something and listen again. This song is cool.

I agree. Everyone wants to hear Shadow do the weird moody rare record with chopped breaks over it. Obviously, the dude's tastes have moved on and his style is reflective of that. I dug it. This is also a radio rip, so i'm sure the album cut has a much better sound quality. I didn't like the Outsider, save for 2-3 tracks, but I've got faith in the dude. The fact he's actually come out with something new is a win in my book.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 pm
Mikal kHill

Tommi, I think a lot of times we are on the same page about shit, but you are way off base with this. If Alias made that beat, it would still suck. It's not about the producer, it's about the bad music you are hearing.

If you need to smoke pot to think a song is cool, it was never cool to begin with.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:49 pm
Z-0

tommi teardrop wrote:
You guys are miserable. This is a banger. If you had been told that Alias made the beat, it would be getting nothing but praise.

if alias made that beat people, on this site at least, would probably be a little less quick to comment in a negative fashion. but them holding their tongues wouldnt exactly equate to praise.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:17 pm
Raoul DeGroot

It's a mediocre, directionless song. I can see why some of you who know about music history might tryand say otherwise, but everything DJ Shadow is trying to say in this song has been done better by someone else (Diplo for example).
And as just a danceable song with a good beat, this thing is fan fiction. Shadow is exposing his clumsy side. It's kind of like a Miles Davis rap album or something.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm
Jesse

Ha, Diplo and I used to swap digging tales on a dj shadow mailing list in the late 90s. Back before there was even Hollertronix, when he would just take off to India or New Orleans and buy up cheap wax like crazy. Only dude I knew who was a hip-hop head and saw any future in Beats By The Pound type hits. His crew was called Pinniped Science, and he would ruin his amazing boom bap true school beats with pitch-shifted raps by him and his friends.

Needless to say, his digging stories were cooler than mine.

Anyway we both learned a lot, me and Diplo, from studying Shadow's chopping and layering techniques.

But yeah as of today... the child is father to the man or something.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next