Search
Register
Gallagher is not only terrible, he's also apparently crazy.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Raoul DeGroot

He was always kind of a wacky "common sense" guy. Which basically means libertarian. Which basically means confused bitter white dude who's been exposed to just enough progressive culture to identify with aspects of it, but also feel really threatened by it. And hence they cobble together this bizarre conflicting mishmash.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:02 pm
Confidential

1) That bit wear baggy pants leading to overcrowding in jails; I specifically remember Keenan Ivory Wayans doing that exact same bit back when they had the Keenan Ivory Wayans show.

2) Black Ghallagher was one of the Chapelle's Show bits that hurt my feelings. The imagery was too intense to be funny.

3) Gallagher used to crack me up when I was a kid. Smashing shit was funny.

4) Gallagher doesn't get a pass for this. It may be a routine, it may appeal to a constituency, it is still racist and homophobic as fuck. Some of you (I'm looking at you futur) are way too generous with your art pass.

5) There are several points that we can debate about this - his motivation, whether he believes what he is saying ( I thought good comedians have conviction), whether he is responding to a demand, etc., but how can we disagree that this act isn't racist. This is hella racist, in whatever context-on stage or off.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm
redball

I'm just arguing that the man may not be his stand up routine. It's safe to hate the guy for being willing to give such a routine, but I don't think he's gone crazy or anything. This is the same Gallagher pandering to whatever audience is left.

...and when did anyone disagree that the set as described isn't bigoted and racist?
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:04 pm
Jesse

redball wrote:
I'm just arguing that the man may not be his stand up routine.
I find this to be such a weird focus. Whom precisely he truly IS, deep down and/or when he's at home, is a matter between himself and his priest. Gallagher the on-stage phenomenon is what he contributes to the world, and it's pernicious and vile. We don't need to pass judgement on the man to have a problem with that shit.

I also think it's weirdly coddling to call people crazy who are hatemongers. It takes the blame off.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm
Confidential

redball wrote:
I'm just arguing that the man may not be his stand up routine. It's safe to hate the guy for being willing to give such a routine, but I don't think he's gone crazy or anything. This is the same Gallagher pandering to whatever audience is left.

...and when did anyone disagree that the set as described isn't bigoted and racist?

Point taken. I'm not sure when anyone said that, I guess that's how I read it. may have been defensive, but I'm accustomed to going against the grain when racism gets a pass, so I was in that mindset.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:19 pm
redball

Jesse wrote:
redball wrote:
I'm just arguing that the man may not be his stand up routine.
I find this to be such a weird focus. Whom precisely he truly IS, deep down and/or when he's at home, is a matter between himself and his priest. Gallagher the on-stage phenomenon is what he contributes to the world, and it's pernicious and vile. We don't need to pass judgement on the man to have a problem with that shit.

I also think it's weirdly coddling to call people crazy who are hatemongers. It takes the blame off.

The reason I said it is because I think he never was his act. I think this is what his act slowly turned into as his fans aged and waned. The ones that are left are the ones entertained by this sort of thing.

This isn't a Mel Gibson deal where he's doing and saying crazy racist shit in his free time. It's his act. While that doesn't excuse his public behavior, nor him for being willing to partake in it, it tells you more about how he came to this point than you learn by trying to gauge his political views by reviewing 30 years of pumpkin smashing.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:51 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Nobody is ever completely "just joking" and nothing is "just an act". People think they can be so sneaky with those lines. Everything that leaks out of your mouth is evidence of some grain in you.
It's just too hard to do anything that's completely divorced from your core as a person. People aren't good at it. It rarely happens. When it does, it's usually transparent.

I've seen so many horrible dudes of his age go active as they get old and disgruntled about their life. All the latent weirdness starts to flow out of them like water from a a cracked dam. They may not even be natural racists and awful types, but those are the most readily available forms to take once the gunk starts gushing. There's lots of people out there ready to jump on that and encourage it. Unlike the people who make Gallaghers feel lame, uncool, and unsuccessful.

Read his interviews by the way, redball, before you start talking this ridiculous middle of the road, benefit of the doubt jargon, as is your way.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm
redball

I'm not going to read the interview because I don't care enough about the dude to read it. If he's a racist p.o.s. then that's what he is, I actually don't want the answer. I just take issue with judging entertainers purely by their entertainment persona and in that respect I agreed with Futuristxen. I read the article, and in my mind it seemed more plausible that Gallaghers only remaining audience is the kind of old white folks that pine for the times when he was considered good entertainment. You know, the people that bought into trickle down economics and the war on drugs. But at this point I'd rather talk about LeBron's crack squad of marketers leaking info on Wade and Bosh because he can't bear to share the spotlight.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:14 pm
Raoul DeGroot

I guess I just can't think of any examples where it's been that difficult to get a good idea of who a person is based off their art/entertainment and one or two interviews.

I agree that stupid people shouldn't try and judge someone based on their art, because they get confused easily, but the rest of us can do it just fine.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:21 pm
Stumbleweed

Gallagher and his stupid material isn't good enough to get that pass, basically. I'll look the other way if it's really worthwhile art, but making easy racist/homophobic jokes and smashing fruit at comedy clubs doesn't qualify. David Simon could be a murderer and I'd still love The Wire... fuck a Gallagher.

Great art + evil fuck = okay by me
Iffy or average art + evil fuck = shitlist

Comedians not being able to "retire" is very depressing, like most comedian-related things.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
McTools

Re: Gallagher is not only terrible, he's also apparently cra  Reply with quote  

Mikal kHill wrote:
I cannot believe Bill Hicks is dead and this motherfucker is still touring.

What a wonderful ending for a un-comfortable artical!!
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:37 pm
Confidential

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Nobody is ever completely "just joking" and nothing is "just an act".

yes. countless exchanges between me and closet racists go down like this;

subtle racist #1: what's up with the baggy pants bro, are you a gang banger?
subtle racist #2: yeah bro, that must be the Mexican in me.
me: Hi. um, I just wanted to let you know that being Mexican has nothing to do with gang banging.
Subtle racist #1: : O der, uh, umm
subtle racist #2: IT WAS A JOKE BRO
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm
futuristxen

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
I guess I just can't think of any examples where it's been that difficult to get a good idea of who a person is based off their art/entertainment and one or two interviews.

Necro?
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm
jehu

futuristxen wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:

Necro?

you don't think necro is a pos? really? he seems pretty transparent to me.

raoul is killing it in this thread, same w/ confidential. this is the most i have ever agreed w/ raoul, ha.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

futuristxen wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:

Necro?

What's wrong with you lately?
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next