Search
Register
"LI(F)E on the Road" is DONE. Reviews/pics/Kisses
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

i will gather all my thoughts soon, along with select pictures & video. It was risky having the last show be in NYC but it worked out really well. I'm very happy with the show and I was thrilled to have so many people I know in attendance. Thank you guys so much. B. Dolan and Big Hammy (Mean Eagle) held shit down. FMA did their damn thing. Everyone came through and helped us execute a killer tour. Thank you thank you thank you.

Almost every review I've seen of these shows has thrown me for a loop in one way or another. Here's one of those:
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/8041436/article-SAGE-FRANCIS--SOFTER-SIDE-AT-CAT-S-CRADLE?instance=main_article

Here's another one filled with some comical misinfo on song titles and band names:
http://www.slugmag.com/exclusives/2239/Sage-Francis-and-B-Dolan-at-Urban-Lounge-on-0526.html
Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

Sage Francis wrote:
Almost every review I've seen of these shows has thrown me for a loop in one way or another. Here's one of those:
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/8041436/article-SAGE-FRANCIS--SOFTER-SIDE-AT-CAT-S-CRADLE?instance=main_article

what an awful article. such terrible writing.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 pm
sarah q

Sage Francis wrote:
This following email is why I don't give a flying fuck about what people think about me. Fan or non-fan. Because people, such as this person below, will always have shitty opinions that they share. So let me share something with you, my friend. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT:

Sage,

I've been a fan of yours for about ten years; I've always introduced your music to friends as being conscious and intelligent hip hop. I tell them that hip hop isn't all about bitches, hoes and guys trying to out macho each other. I feel like I was proven wrong tonight by how you acted at the Rock 'n' Roll Hotel show. I lost a lot of respect for you when you jumped in that kid's face for talking during your set. Obviously someone had to tell him to shut up but isn't that the reason you have security at shows? Anyway I doubt you'll read this and if you do I doubt you'll care, I just want you to know that not all of your fans appreciate your tough guy antics.

Peace,
Josh

I feel somewhat emotionally bankrupt by the number of entitled fans. Especially because they are ALL your biggest fans. I don't for a single second want to sound ungrateful for last night's show. It delivered beyond expectation. I'm extremely appreciative to have been a part of that experience. But part of me was a little wrecked by a lot of the audience members, especially the guy whose face you "jumped in". I'm sure his friend's didn't appreciate it, but when B. pulled him off to the side to talk to him, we thought he was getting kicked out, and about 10-15 of us started applauding. He talked the ENTIRE show, his friend's talked the ENTIRE show. Yet they were SUCH devoted fans. It's maddening. I don't understand. I know drugs and alcohol are a part of it, but c'mon.

I feel like, in a way, because your music touches so many people emotionally, so many people (including myself) feel like they really identify with a lot of the stuff that you talk about, and so many people feel even "saved" on a certain level by your music, they get to a place where they have, I don't know, put some sort of emotional investment into you. Sorry for the run-on sentence. Then they hold you responsible for their emotional state. Maybe I'm overanalyzing the situation, but I've seen so many fans that really, really believe you owe them something. That level of ungratefulness infuriates me.

I'm not a violent person, but if you had slapped that guy in the face I wouldn't have faulted you for it. That was a really sentimental and meaningful show for a lot of people and that dude thought it was his own private show the whole night.

*I just realized upon re-reading this that the e-mail was referring to a different show, I guess there's one in every city.

But the set and the performance and the venue, everything delivered beginning to end. I didn't leave thinking "Man, I wish he'd played this song". It was such a sincere and well thought out show that it left no room for want. I'm really thankful that I got to be there. Thank you so much.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:44 pm
Nemonic7

NYC show was sick. I came in late though. I thought the show started at 7:45PM as I was told by the door man, even though I got there at 7:00 PM. I missed FMA's set and some of B.Dolan's set. But Sage tour it down. Best show I've ever been to.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am
bbreakz

"Sea Life" really got the crowd going. Hahahaha.

Next Time do a little research.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

And the group Mr. Mister somehow got turned into the name 1985.

Here's the best review yet:
http://www.knucklebutts.net/2010/06/28/sage-francis-avoids-a-knucklebutt/

made me laugh at least. Good stuff.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am
remind

Bob Harris wrote:
NYC show-thread got locked. Here is my humble review:

We rolled in with the PFA family on the early tip, which was nice. Got to talk to B a little bit, and got to dance with my baby in the wide open beautiful Webster Hall floor to the pre-show mix (which was dope, and the rumor was that was B's playlist? If so -- well done, sir). My two-step is on some next level, if you didn't know.

Free Moral Agents were excellent. I don't know what else to say about it. I very much enjoyed their set.

B. absolutely ripped it. Alias's beats were pummeling in the system, and all the kids in the crowd knew the material to sing along. He opened with "Leaving New York," and it was funny to hear a bunch of kids behind me screaming "Fuck New York!" No shit, kiddies. No shit. Probably the last time I'll scream "Come to Dubai!" that loud. I kind of shocked myself. Also B. poked some fun at a kid in the crowd for wearing "Carlton-from Fresh-Prince-shorts," and when I looked over, it was hard to tell which kid he was talking about. There were mad kids rocking Carlton shorts last night. I thought I had my finger on the pulse here, but I missed out on that little trend. "One Breath Left" is one of the illest closers in the game too.

Sage's set was the best I've ever seen him do. I don't think the significance of the show was lost on anyone in the crowd, or anyone on stage. Maybe a few people in the crowd, but that's not worth discussing. Ha. It went by in a wonderful blur for me, which is how all my favorite shows I've seen have gone. Sage brought B. off the balcony impromptu to rock "House of Bees." which was fucking rad. I go back and forth on who's dance I like more during that song -- but as much as I like Sage's "stir the honey?" dance, you can't really fuck with B's "Bumblebee-Wings" dance. The closing medley of songs were so powerful it was kind of overwhelming. When the first notes of "Best of Times" rang out, I immediately misted up (I'm still thug though) and looked at my baby to kind of laugh it off -- but she was taking these deep breaths to try to stop herself from weeping. Haha. So no help there.

And then, when the song was over, Free Moral Agents let the music ride and Sage hopped into the crowd and literally hugged everyone in Webster Hall. Which I can say, with no exaggeration, was the most beautiful, sweaty end to any show I've ever seen.

I'm still high from it. Not weed high, nahmean? Li(f)e high? I hope for Sage and B it was a satisfying end to the tour, and for Sage touring in general. You never know what kind of New York you're going to get at a show. This felt like a good New York to me. Either way. It's 300 degrees in my apartment right now, and you still couldn't wipe the smile off my face even if you told me they stopped making Sun-Chips.

Love for errbody.

Good review. FHSC and Li(f)e both sounded proper live. I was yelling my ass off, especially with "Love the lieeeeeeeeee!" Ha. I can't leave out the Agents...was impressed with their set. Lots of kind words were said between Sage and Dolan about each other which was very cool. I'm excited to see what Dolan will do moving forward. It was great to talk to the SFR homies after the show. My only complaint is I thought the crowd could have been a little better for Sage's last show but what are ya gonna do. Edit: I lost it when Sage busted out "Can I Kick It?"! Put a huge smile on my face.

Hell of a run, Sage, hell of a run.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:12 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The most accurate review of a show that I've seen:
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2010/06/sage_francis_transcends_genres.php
Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:51 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14