Search
Register
LI(F)E - CDs, vinyl, t-shirts, hoodies & more!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

subsketch

Just got home from a typically soul destroying day at work to find my preorder waiting for me. Huzzah!

Say what you want about the lateness but still nothing beats that feeling of getting a new album direct from the artist with extra goodies thrown in, it gets me every time. I used to work in a distribution centre for a big online business & know from experience how much work it must be to get these pre orders out with such a small team. Especially with the signing! I appreciate the hand cramps endured.

I love LI(F)E!
Post Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 am
Z-0

shut up with your joy and excitement...

here's hoping tomorrow may bring the same to me, maybe monday. i've had a good package week thus far, the book depository sent Capital, Communist Manifesto, Of Mice and Men, and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
Post Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 am
iammessage

got a text from a buddy that interns at CD101 here in columbus a few days ago that read;

He-"Hey, you listen to Sage Francis, right?"

Me-"Yep"

He-"Found a poster and this song Best of Times, worth checking out?"

Me-"Best. Song. Ever."

few hours later....

He-"Music Director really likes it, there is a good chance we start playing it...fucking awesome song"

thought id share that...pretty cool.
Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm
BR

http://www.urb.com/2010/05/18/sage-francis-life/

4.5/5

Mark Twain once said that a lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. On the epic new record Li(f)e, Sage Francis attempts to speak truth to the lies that pervade all facets of existence. Backed by an unusual consortium of indie rockers, Rhode Island’s finest dissects the human condition with brutal honesty and unparalleled wit. From organized religion to interpersonal relationships and beyond, Sage examines the omnipresent impact of the myths many come to mistake as axioms.

Sage’s sonic experimentation speaks to his genre’s legacy of shattering barriers and forging new styles. While his past two Anti-/Epitaph releases showed a heavy punk influence, Li(f)e is a groundbreaking amalgamation of folk, indie rock and hip hop. Brian Deck, acclaimed for his work with Iron & Wine and Modest Mouse, produced the entire record and incorporated live instrumentation from members of DeVotchKa, Sparklehorse, Calexico and Death Cab For Cutie, many of whom had never worked on a hip hop project before. It may sound gimmicky on paper, but the result is a rap album unlike any you’ve ever heard before.

There Will Be Bloodesque strings melt into folksy riffs on “Little Houdini” and set the stage for Li(f)e. The third person narrative of a serial truck thief trying to visit his dying parents would seem to fall under the country umbrella, but Sage is adept at wrapping his delivery around the emotion of any given song. The constantly-evolving piece French composer Yann Tiersen (of Amelie fame) provides on “The Best Of Times” is one of the most unique and challenging arrangements to ever be rapped over. Sage uses this buoyant canvas to explore his subconscious through tales of childhood embarrassment and despair punctuated by a “this too shall pass” mantra.

Pain is the aphrodisiac of choice for a considerable portion of music’s most thought-provoking lyricists. Throughout his career, Sage has managed to extract existential gems from personal and global hell. “16 Years” is a lugubrious, time-traveling affair through heartache and defeat set to the haunting, ethereal cathedral of Javanese gamelan. Soul-crushing realism (”There’s something outside that we all want / but inside there’s an ex who marks the soft spot / til it rots and decays and then no one else cares / it’s been 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 years”) blends with acerbic drollery (”I heard god is coming and she’s a screamer”) and a litany of incandescent metaphors, as fans have come to expect from one of this generation’s truly great songwriters.

Sage provides his audience with raw confessionals that are equal parts melancholic and inspirational. The blues-tinged lead single “Slow Man” and co-dependency meta-analysis of “Polterzeitgeist” attest to the brilliance of this troubadour’s iconic approach. The largely-unexplored concept of gender roles in regards to abortion is delved into via “The Baby Stays,” a multi-tiered debate worth ruminating over. “Worry Not” carries an Irish-pub-sing-along vibe in its chorus and is possibly Sage’s most upbeat song to date. Riding that positive momentum, Li(f)e shifts gears in the final act with “Love The Lie” and “The Best Of Times,” two complex, life-affirming tracks that poignantly close the curtain on a remarkable album.

Song you’ll remember in five years: “The Best Of Times”

Line you’ll remember in five years: “When you think you’ve got it all figured out and then everything collapses… trust me kid… it’s not the end of the world.” (from “The Best Of Times”)

Last edited by BR on Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 am
mattarl

got it yesterday. THANKS SAGE!
this is really crazy. some are instantly hitting me, some not so much.
some are growing on me more.
the word play is crazy.
I love "sell 'em a click track, call it a soul clap"
definitely some soon to be classics.

also, if i were to order something else after some of the pre-order madness dies down, is there any way i could get a lyric book for li(f)e and/or FHSC?
that would be awesome.
Post Fri May 21, 2010 1:13 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

For the record, all orders have been sent out. They've been sent out for a couple days now. For any people who still have not received their package yet, sorry for the longer than usual wait. Definitely apologize for that. Expect your order with some bonus items any day now.
Post Sat May 22, 2010 8:27 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

i was super stoked all this morning to go to see sage at first ave tonight and bring him a present. then i looked and the show was yesterday.

doh.
Post Sat May 22, 2010 10:06 am
Nemonic7

Got the Life album in the mail today. Yeah Sage it's funny how that mistake happened.
Post Mon May 24, 2010 5:44 pm
Nemonic7

At my job there are allot of immigrants and today some were talking about when they came to the US and I being born here said I came to the US when I was zero. We kind of laughed at it but only I was thinking about the Sage reference.
Post Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 pm
bbreakz

Got my preorder today. The wait was worth it as, senor "Frances" had the interns fill up my box with buttons an extra poster and the Dead Poet Live Album. Signed now less, with a little RIHC symbol. Thanks good stuff.

Really feeling Three Sheets to the Wind. I will get the full monty on the drive to San Diego tomorrow.

I bought vinyl so I used my download card and it spells Frances as such. Interesting.
Post Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm
Dseize

I just got the vinyl today, I searched but could not find the download card.
Should I be concerned?
Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 am
bbreakz

D Seize: Mine was in the sleeve of the C/D side of the vinyl, but it got caught up in the whole of the paper sleeve so when I pulled it out it wasn't there for me either until I looked hard.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am
laurapalmer

Got my preorder yesterday. Did the vinyl, did the download with no problem to my new macbook, listened to the wax once through. Still not sure where I sit with the record overall. Best of Times, I was Zero, and Slow Man stood out, but don't know what I think overall. I need a couple of listens, there is a lot of stuff happening in there.

I listened to HTDD and AHD once through as well while working. The retro disappointment or critiques of those two in the life threads baffle me, as I think they both hold up. My big complaint with HTDD would be that the buddy wakefield samples feel odd/dated/or something. Still like the record, and the songs they are around/in, and don't mind the slightly diverse sounds on the record. I agree LIFE is more cohesive, but I thought AHD was pretty cohesive too.

My AHD was signed, but not HTDD or LIFE. I might need to bring those to the Troc and try to remedy that. Hopefully Sage won't be too swamped to put a quick pen on them at the merch table.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm
mattrego

Post Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 pm
Nemonic7

This album grew on me strongly. I'm loving all the songs on here except for London Bridge and believe it or not I'm not crazy about The Best of Times. But the rest of the album is fire. I've been watchin' how the tour has been going on youtube and I can't wait to see Sage live in New York. Polterzietgiest is my jam, so is Three Sheets to the Wind and I was Zero and Slow Man and Diamonds and Pearls and The Baby Stays and Love the Lie and Worry Not and 16 Years. The album is solid.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next