leg.donor

World Cup 2010  Reply with quote  

Who are the favorites?

Here's mine.

1. Brazil
2. Spain
3. Argentina, Germany, Italy
Post Thu May 06, 2010 8:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr Sagacious

Iunno. I'm just getting into Football lately. I have to admit, it's because I bought FIFA 10. I want to look at the schedule so I can watch some of these games.

My favorites, I guess, would be Germany, Spain, and England. But, I really don't know all that much. Some of you should drop some knowledge on me real quicky.
Post Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
futuristxen

1. England(it feels like their year)
2. Argentina
3. Portugal
Post Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 pm
leg.donor

crap, i forgot about england.

ill throw them into my 3rd category, because brazil and spain i feel are slightly better.
Post Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Z-0

given the draw i doubt australia will repeat the efforts at the last cup. our media would have you believe cahill is our only player.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 12:29 am
Brynjar

Italy ftw

Post Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 am
SteveJB

It depends who turns up players wise.

Rooney has shown this season that he can carry an average team. If Lampard and others can play near to their club form then we've got a good chance.

Aren't Xavi and Torres both doubts? And Fabregas? Think injuries are working against Spain.

Brazil always have a good team, but don't have that many really special players at the moment.

Ronaldo and Messi are capable of lighting up the tournament and giving their respective nations a great chance. They could also flop.

And then you have the usual suspects of Germany and Italy who do well no matter how bad their teams seem at the start, wouldn't be shocked to see either of them in the final.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 am
SlickWillyP
HILL GIANT

i realllllly want england to win. or at least compete.

don't sleep on netherlands. i think they could win it all.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 am
mancabbage

england have a better chance than usual under capello, he's installed some testicles into the team and they're unlikely to fluff it on the big stage now, had a good qualifying record with little goals conceded but i still have my doubts, i'd favor spain and brazil over eng regardless of injuries,
Post Fri May 07, 2010 5:53 am
monkeyseemonkeydo

i will swap my left nut for Australia to knock the cheating, diving Italians out.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:05 am
phataccino

Post Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

SteveJB wrote:

Aren't Xavi and Torres both doubts? And Fabregas?

Yeah. I haven't gotten a chance to see how Xavi's moving around for Barca right now but he's playing hurt. Torres just had surgery. And now it's looking like Spain isn't going to be the juggernaut we expected them to be. But they might. Who knows? We'll see how they're moving and they are as stacked, talent wise, barring injury, as anyone.

Argentina is the Wild Card. If they've gotten their shit together, which is doubtful, they have Messi and nobody else does, so that's that. Not sure about England. Rooney is playing his head off right now and they have an easy group. So they should probably do alright.

I'm wondering what the USMNT is gonna do now that it's clear that Charlie Davies isn't gonna make it after all, what with the fatal car wreck. Who do we go with? Obviously Jozy, for one. But I don't know if he's ready yet. Who else is there, though? Demarcus Beasley has had his moments but has mostly been a disappointment. Eddie Johnson is uninspiring. Shoot me if we have to play Freddy Adu significantly at forward. Clint is our best scorer, outside of Landon, but with Holden out he's probably going to stay in the midfield, though he'd be better on the wing if we had Holden. There's definitely a case to be made for putting him at striker but there's no sign the team is looking that way. I'm looking forward to June 12th anyhow, less than I was a couple months ago when i thought we'd have Davies at 90-100%. But we have Onyewu back, apparently. That's good news.

Edit: Well I'm not up on my Bob Bradley press conferences!

Quote:

Bradley also indicated he might very well use Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey as a forward, alongside Jozy Altidore. The Americans are deepest at midfield, while injuries to Davies and Brian Ching have significantly thinned their ranks up top. Bradley also indicated he might very well use Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey as a forward, alongside Jozy Altidore. The Americans are deepest at midfield, while injuries to Davies and Brian Ching have significantly thinned their ranks up top.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/04/29/2010-04-29_davies_still_a_longshot_to_return_to_us_team.html#ixzz0nGOY0ex2
Post Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 am
sandman00000

icarus502 wrote:

I'm wondering what the USMNT is gonna do now that it's clear that Charlie Davies isn't gonna make it after all, what with the fatal car wreck. Who do we go with? Obviously Jozy, for one. But I don't know if he's ready yet. Who else is there, though? Demarcus Beasley has had his moments but has mostly been a disappointment. Eddie Johnson is uninspiring. Shoot me if we have to play Freddy Adu significantly at forward. Clint is our best scorer, outside of Landon, but with Holden out he's probably going to stay in the midfield, though he'd be better on the wing if we had Holden. There's definitely a case to be made for putting him at striker but there's no sign the team is looking that way. I'm looking forward to June 12th anyhow, less than I was a couple months ago when i thought we'd have Davies at 90-100%. But we have Onyewu back, apparently. That's good news.

Edit: Well I'm not up on my Bob Bradley press conferences!

Quote:

Bradley also indicated he might very well use Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey as a forward, alongside Jozy Altidore. The Americans are deepest at midfield, while injuries to Davies and Brian Ching have significantly thinned their ranks up top. Bradley also indicated he might very well use Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey as a forward, alongside Jozy Altidore. The Americans are deepest at midfield, while injuries to Davies and Brian Ching have significantly thinned their ranks up top.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/04/29/2010-04-29_davies_still_a_longshot_to_return_to_us_team.html#ixzz0nGOY0ex2

Davies shouldn't be ruled out:

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/daviess-demise-greatly-exaggerated-player-says/

Holden is back playing too, might start this weekend for Bolton

I think Jozy and Clint are the obvious starting forwards right now. And a surprise addition may be one of Edson Buddle or Herculez Gomez, both lighting it up in MLS and Mexico, respectively.

BTW, my favorite site for US soccer news: http://www.soccerbyives.net
Post Fri May 07, 2010 1:08 pm
The Count

I think Davies will at least be on the prelim 30 man roster. I don't know if he'll make it to the final 23 though. I'd like Holden to be back but, I wouldn't be too upset if he isn't able to go. That's our deepest position and Stu doesn't really bring anything that Edu and Clark don't.

We need onyewu to get back to good form. I'm actually more worried about our defense than any other position. We could play boca at LB but we don't have another really solid central defender and boca is a bit slow to play outside. Of course we're missing anything close to an actual left back unless we take a chance on some of these young MLS kids.

Buddle and Gomez are in form right now, but they are both super streaky and I hope that if they come along to south africa, they serve as late game subs at most. I think that landon would be the better partner for jozy at forward. Clint is much more of a creator, and landon operates best when he is given the freedom to roam around.

As for the cup itself, my picks are argentina, germany, or italy. That's pretty safe I know. I think the US are going to get out of the group and have a decent shot of making the round of 8. Don't seem them getting much further than that, but crazier things have happened.

Also, ives is a horrible reporter. He get's shit wrong weekly.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

USA! USA!

Tim Howard FTW
Post Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next