Search
Register
Secret show in Long Beach 4/23 SOLD OUT
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

squirtisblow

Bullshitty. Wish I knew, woulda got tickets....

Oh well, next time
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Although I already said most of what needs saying, here's the info & explanation about the show tonight http://tinyurl.com/LBCdrama
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 pm
EatTheMeek

I drove down here before I got the news, was about 10 min away when I saw the tweet. Luckly, I drove right to the venue and was able to get on the waiting list and just got a ticket! The place is really small, I bet you'll be able to hear most of the show from the sidewalk. The location is on 4th st between cherry and junipero. Should be fun!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Jared Paul

EatTheMeek wrote:
I drove down here before I got the news, was about 10 min away when I saw the tweet. Luckly, I drove right to the venue and was able to get on the waiting list and just got a ticket! The place is really small, I bet you'll be able to hear most of the show from the sidewalk. The location is on 4th st between cherry and junipero. Should be fun!

That's pretty impressive man.

You definitely earn some SFR commitment cred for that one. Salute!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EatTheMeek

Just got back from the gig.

The show had a very warm up feel to it, small book shop, not ideally set up for live performances, but the sound wasn't terrible. I got there pretty early, so I had a good spot in the front, don't know what you could see once you got a few people back. Sage stood on top of a chair for most of the show.

The show itself was great though, there is a lot to look forward to on this upcoming tour (and the upcoming album). Ikey and the band really know how to jam (you would do yourself a disservice by missing their set, this is the keyboard player for The Mars Volta after all) and they seem like they'll be a great fit. Can't wait to hear some new interpretations of classic Sage Francis jams...

Not sure if anyone really cares to read a list of songs they haven't heard yet... I was able to grab a setlist if anybody really wanted to keep score...

Most of the set was tracks off the new record, with the exception of "Sea Lion" and the encore "Crack Pipes/The Cure"

The show ended with "Best of Times" and "Crack Pipes". With a live band, these two songs were the real standouts of the night. Everything seemed to come together and make the most of the Free Moral Agents' strengths. By the end of the main set, people seemed excited enough to start yelling out requests. Sage had to remind the crowd that this was a warm up show and that they are a live band, not a cd player.

After the show, Sage stuck around and did the meet/greet/sign a bunch of posters and whatever/hang out thing. Thanks again for the show, can't wait for the tour!
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 am
dilly dilly

That was really a fantastic show. I love the band and the energy everyone has between them on stage. Fantastic people... The new material is spine tingling. I feel like Sage has been heading in this direction for a while and he pulls it off perfectly.

I must say I had high expectations and they were fulfilled and beyond! I hope you all have a fantastic tour and I'll be seeing you at the Henry Fonda show!!!

oh how nice it is to live in Hollywood! haha...

And a really great treat was when the ice cream man came.... free ice cream! woot woot!

great to see you Franny!
xoxo
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:04 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ahhhh! Thanks for coming out! So good seeing Dilly. I knew so many people there. It's strange to think that I probably have more business connections and have more friends on the west coast than I do on the east coast. I'll never leave the east coast, but I definitely enjoy making my trips out west.

I have no idea how the music sounded from where the crowd was standing. It felt pretty good from where I was at, however Ikey's amp was facing straight at me so the keys were loud as hell. haha. Also, the drum set was directly behind me. Every time there was a kick drum thump I could feel a blast of air on my legs. That was kinda nice actually.

We still have kinks to work out, but all in all I'm very happy we have this ball rolling. It was a good show and the crowd was awesome. They did force us to do an encore which we truly weren't expecting or prepared to do. It worked out for the best.

*SPOILER ALERT*

That Crackpipes into the Cure shit is something we had never played in full before but I think we'll need to keep that for the rest of the shows.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:03 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

damn sad i missed this...once again.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:06 pm
EatTheMeek

Anybody else make it out to the Free Moral Agents show at The Prospector tonight?

Another really small venue. Sage jumped on for the last three songs of the set. Two songs from the new album and finished the show with Crack pipes/The Cure.

Great stuff once again.

Can't wait to hear the show in a venue with a real sound system. I imagine the band feels the same.

Thanks again, for a fun show, Sage. I was near the front with the black shirt.

That place made this Met Cafe look big.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:09 am
EatTheMeek

Here are a few more photos from the gig. That stage was pretty dark! Pushed the limits of my 5Dmk2. I think it's time to buy some faster lenses (these were all f2.8, except for the last one, a f1.4).

If you'd like to use any of them, just hit me up at timothyluke at g mail dot com and I can get you some higher res ones
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:23 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Very nice! I'll credit you when I put them up on the sites. No need for high res. Thanks for sharing those, man.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

Sage you are as cute as ever! Counting the days till the NC show.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2