Search
Register
The REST of the SFR Roster discussion
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

Thanks for all the replies. It was late when I started this thread and I know that when I said we don't get much updates on those artists and they don't seem to be doing that much, it wasn't really true. I know SFR does a lot to promote the artists and their works and that Dolan and Sage get more coverage lately cause they have albums out/coming up. I just thought the updates on all the other artists don't seem to generate as much discussion here and that lumping the underrated/slept on ones here in this thread might help me learn something about them.

Unfortunately the SFR tours rarely get close to my part of the world, so I have to rely only on music releases to make an opinion about the artists that I'm not that familiar with. It's too bad cause I know seeing them live would probably help a whole lot. I'm still hoping for some big SFR All-Europe tour though;-)

I'm glad that so many people posted Sleep songs and it seems it's agreed upon that he is criminally underrated. I do own the "Christopher" album as well as "Hesitation Wounds" and I like both albums very much (I like Christopher more, but HW has some great tracks on it too). I listened to "Riot by Candlelight" but didn't buy it cause I didn't like it as much as the two later albums. All this Sleep talk definitely makes me want to revisit it though and maybe I'll change my mind and buy it when I get some cash. I'm glad to hear he's working on songs and another SFR release.

I will check out the Cecil Otter songs named in this thread and the Prolyphic and Reanimator album. Any recommendations about what 2Mex stuff should I check out first to get hooked on his music?
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:40 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

In regard to 2MEX, this Returners album that was released digitally last year is a great collection of songs. I love the style of beats, I love the gravediggaz type vibe.
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/the-returners-break-up-your-make-up-mp3-download-p-256.html

As for solo stuff, B-Boys in Occupied Mexico seems to be a fan favorite
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/2mex-bboys-in-occupied-mexico-cd-p-227.html

And of course there's the Look Daggers stuff with Free Moral Agents
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/2mex-ikey-owens-of-mars-volta-are-look-daggers-cddvd-p-179.html

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone noticed this on the homepage, but we just unearthed 14 copies of Prolyphic's "Times Table Scraps" CD which was limited to 1000 copies. After those sell out its gone forever. That was a tour CD that was put together when he hit the road with Solilla a couple years back.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:19 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

If the SFR was a basketball roster:
Sage is obviously the superstar. He's a combo guard that sometimes find it hard to suppress his own scoring for the benefit of the team. But he does. See: Dwyane Wade

Dolan is the uber-talented sidekick. He could be the star of his own team, and might someday be, but in the meantime he gets his minutes and grinds it out. The fan favorite. See: Russell Westbrook

2Mex is the wily veteran. Criminally slept-on for over a decade, the change of scenery allows us to see him in a new light. He's learned a few tricks along the way but the hard part is getting people to notice. He's been a part of the scenery for so long, it's hard to look on him with a fresh set of eyes. See: Antawn Jamison

Prolyphic went to Duke. He's fundamentally sound and, frankly, happy to be on the team. Everybody thought he'd fade away, that he didn't have what it takes. He's still yet to realize sublimity but every so often, he does something that makes you go "whoa, that guy can do that?!" See: JJ Reddick

Cecil Otter is like a guy named Cecil Otter. Who is Cecil Otter? I should find out more about Cecil Otter. There's a guy like that on every team.

Buck 65 plays for this team? I guess so. But mostly he's the guy making movies here. Doing a soundtrack there. You'll sit down for a game, and he'll be really, really good but you'll remember most the promo ad for an episode of "The Forgotten" guest starring you-know-who. See: Baron Davis

(Clearly these comparisons break down after a while. And I couldn't really think of a way to describe Sleep, et al.) Also, I mean no disrespect to anyone.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 am
mattrego

Haha. Fucking awsome.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:22 am
Stumbleweed

icarus502 wrote:
Prolyphic went to Duke. He's fundamentally sound and, frankly, happy to be on the team. Everybody thought he'd fade away, that he didn't have what it takes. He's still yet to realize sublimity but every so often, he does something that makes you go "whoa, that guy can do that?!" See: JJ Reddick

Hahaha, gold medal for this one.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Flossin

Sage Francis wrote:
In regard to 2MEX, this Returners album that was released digitally last year is a great collection of songs. I love the style of beats, I love the gravediggaz type vibe.
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/the-returners-break-up-your-make-up-mp3-download-p-256.html

As for solo stuff, B-Boys in Occupied Mexico seems to be a fan favorite
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/2mex-bboys-in-occupied-mexico-cd-p-227.html

And of course there's the Look Daggers stuff with Free Moral Agents
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/2mex-ikey-owens-of-mars-volta-are-look-daggers-cddvd-p-179.html

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone noticed this on the homepage, but we just unearthed 14 copies of Prolyphic's "Times Table Scraps" CD which was limited to 1000 copies. After those sell out its gone forever. That was a tour CD that was put together when he hit the road with Solilla a couple years back.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out!
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 am
Flossin

icarus502 wrote:
Cecil Otter is like a guy named Cecil Otter. Who is Cecil Otter? I should find out more about Cecil Otter. There's a guy like that on every team.

Heh, that's pretty much how I feel about him.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:25 am
remind

Stumbleweed wrote:
icarus502 wrote:

Poo medal. Prolyphic is way cooler than fucking JJ Reddick.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm
Flossin

remind wrote:
Stumbleweed wrote:
icarus502 wrote:

What's cool about Prolyphic? Recommend me some songs to check out? I've only heard his verses on the SFR posse cuts. Maybe one solo song by him.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm
remind

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm
laurapalmer

remind wrote:
Stumbleweed wrote:
icarus502 wrote:

I think a better comparison point might be shane battier. Quietly putting in work, with the greater whole being good, but the individual moments being somewhat forgettable, only to rise up with a huge stat game, where you keep wondering if he transcends or stays pretty solid.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:15 pm
adic

</object>
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:16 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I wrote Shane Battier at first, then replaced him with Reddick. Reason being is that Shane Battier is (for whatever reason) a very established, respected entity as a defensive player. I don't think Prolyphic could yet be considered particularly great at anything he does. YET.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm
Flossin

remind wrote:

I like this. Thanks.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:24 pm
Shinigami

lol, that's a pretty big and hairy basketball team. might need Trav on the team just to get some dunks in.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next