Search
Register
PFA Winter Tour. It's ovaaaa (new pics posted)
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Jared Paul

Oh Daesu wrote:
Haha. Montreal is awesome, fo sho. Toronto....I don't see it but it's all good.

East Van is great.

Tomorrow night Daesu! PFA Canada... first time eva!! ( :
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oh Daesu

I'll be there. I will be sure to say hello.
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm
abadawn

Jared Paul wrote:
abadawn wrote:
dammit i have a show on friday.

i'll try to dip out early and catch you guys in pdx.

Drat! PDX show looks like it's gonna be hot. Portland's startin' to feel like home away from home...

i just moved here a couple months ago, i am absolutely in love now though.

i will be performing at Slabtown tonight, but you'll be playing with some good friends of mine. i'm kinda jealous, wanted that bill but got stuck on a competing event =]

we should actually try to link up so you can come see our store/gallery.
hook you up with some gear. ur probly already on it if you hit up sleep.
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm
Jared Paul

Someone Gallery?! That spot is awesome! We had an instore there on the last tour. I was so impressed; such a top notch and beautiful lay out. Good luck at your show man, let's posse up next time!
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abadawn

thats the place!

very grateful to have a part in it now.

kill that shit dood
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:11 pm
Jared Paul

Portland show was fucking great. Second best of the tour after SLC, hands down.
P
D
X.

BOOOOOM!!
Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 am
Oh Daesu

Fucking border. Next time I'll try to hit a seattle show or something. I need a passport.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 am
poisonfree

Hyped for the sac show, Haven't seen Aquifer yet, been listening for a bit tho, who knew there was something besides antique shops and abandoned mines in Amador ha.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Not that this is surprising news, but PFA was denied at the border. So the Canada shows are not going to happen.

I didn't get the text from Jared til late last night, at which point I was away from my computer.

Haven't heard from them since but hopefully they're getting along OK. I'm sure he'll have a fun border story when he comes back online.

Travel safe, dudes.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:19 pm
Nick Bianco

Assholes turned my bag inside out, read my journal and shoved my toothbrush under the back seat of the van. I'd never really experienced some bullshit like that before.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:07 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

There were three times I got detained at the Canadian border. Both times they went through every single thing I had.

The first time, it was just me. My backpack is full of junk, scraps of paper, notebooks, whatever. They went through every single thing and it took 3 hours.

The second time, I was in a van full of people. That was a nightmare.

Each time I made it through to the other side after all was said and done. Not sure what happened with PFA.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:17 pm
Nick Bianco

Jared will be able to explain better than I will. But basically, they chose to interpret the law in a way that would require us to have work visa's to cross.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That's something we all have to do when crossing the border. A lot of the time it's best to just lie. It's so hit-or-miss with them. One time all we had to do is pay "fine" which felt more like a bribe so that me and S.O.S. could play a couple shows in Cananda.

All this BS is part of the reason why I hardly ever go there. However, I will be playing a lot of Canadian cities on my next headlining tour. In May/June
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:34 pm
Oh Daesu

Please say Vancouver.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:27 pm
Jared Paul

Sorry Daesu! What a shammmmmm.

I've also had hassles at the border but I always end up getting through; 2004, 2007, and 2008. We had the same letter from the Director that the Vancouver Poetry House (certified non-profit org) uses for all their touring acts; dozens of acts over the years. Literally the same letter.

Things have been tense at border patrol recently with all the Olympic protests. That's been compounded by the Detroit incident and the Amy Goodman incident. The cop wanted to know "what kind of poetry i'd be doing" and "if it was poetry on any specific topics."

All that matched with Alan and i both having been arrested before and Marco being Venezuelan (that, and the cop visibly not caring for the look of us at all) proved to be more than we could overcome this time around. Official work permits or outright lying next time.

The official reason the cops gave:
"We do not agree with the Directors interpretation that this is not a standard employment relationship. We do not wish to call him. We see that you have been across the border for similar trips in the past and it is possible for us to grant you a temporary permit but we are choosing not to do that at this time."

FUCK'EM.

*Poisonfree! The Sac show should be packed. The Firehouse was the last time we played Sac with Aquifer. This one is a smaller basement type show; there probably won't even be room for everyone. Should be intense. Aquifer kills it!
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next