Search
Register
Legal advice for car accidents?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

AdamBomb

poisonfree wrote:
Get the insurance company involved, Don't sign any papers until all that shit is fixed, It's his bad and his insurance is going to cover it.

He doesnt want the insurance company involved because he obviously caused a huge ammount of damage on your car, he is trying to play down the cost of the repairs/paint matching/time without you ride, which (Especially because it went along multiple panels) is going to be 3,000 USD+.

I agree with this. Its sad, but everytime I've ever been in an accident and played the nice guy (or trusted the other person) I got royally "effed in the A". Just turn it over to the insurance company and insist that the guy apologized to you over and over for causing the accident. Most people talk a good game, but don't back it up. Dude dones't belong on the road if he can't take responsibility.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:58 am
Coffee Black

You're damage is extensive and I doubt "some savings" is going to cover it. My girlfriend was recently in an accident that didn't look bad at all. Turns out the frame was jacked and the car was totaled. I know you don't want to shit on the guy but if shitting on him means getting your stuff back in order then thats what you have to do. You are going to need a new hood, new bumper, new front panel, probably a light assembly and from the pics your frame could be a bit tweaked too. Get your insurance company involved.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:20 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I am an insurance investigator for a major New England company. If you are totally not at fault, which sounds like the case, I would call your insurance company. Yeah, his premiums will go up - but you won't have to pay anything and your premiums should stay the same.

The only problem with not calling the police and not doing a police report is that this guy could end up with 'injuries.' He could also change his tune and try and blame the collision on you. This happens constantly with losses that don't have police reports filed. He could actually go file a police report and give his side of the story trying to blame you.

Most likely you'll everything will be fine, and he'll take care of the damages, but I guess you have to cover your ass.

Personally I'd fill out a report and call the insurance company...just to be safe.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:29 am
note1

Everyone wants to leave the insurance companies out of it until you give them an estimate from your auto body shop. Then they get all indignant and think you are trying to screw them over. Car repair is expensive, even when it does't look like it's much. I bet dude changes his tune when you give him an estimate.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:31 am
LotusReign

I was in a similar situation about a two years ago... the police report is only needed to establish fault. If you each talk w the insurance and your stories match up and you both agree the pick up truck drive was at fault, no police report needed. If you disagree as to what happened and who was at fault, you'll want that police repot.
Even with everything going on in dude's life, unless hes able to cover everything quickly in one payment - I'd go thru the formal process with my insuance company... thats what they're there for.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:02 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2