Search
Register
Drop the World - Lil' wayne feat. eminem
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

laurapalmer

codebreaker wrote:
this thread reeks of condescension and elitism. aka, nothing new, in a SFF music thread - but it still irks me.

That shit gets tossed around way too much.

It's a discussion about music, so it has varied viewpoints and people won't all agree. That's a lot of confusion over discourse vs elitism. Shit doesn't need to be consensus, it's opinions.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:58 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Sorry, I can't see myself making excuses for liking the guy. I can't sit there, and say "Well, if I just forget about people who make music with substance in their music, I can really like this guy." I don't care if you like him, but he should be more of a guilty pleasure, not a hyped up demigod.

If he's not going to make good music, or music with substance, I won't like him.

what makes you think his music has no "substance"
do you want a rapper to read the encyclopedia to you? are you looking to be educated by rappers? or "taught lessons"?

some people want music as an escape, to enjoy themselves, to have fun..not everyone wants some pretentious smug ahole preachin to them..

one day you will get over yourself
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 pm
AdamBomb

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
do you want a rapper to read the encyclopedia to you? are you looking to be educated by rappers? or "taught lessons"?

some people want music as an escape, to enjoy themselves, to have fun..not everyone wants some pretentious smug ahole preachin to them..

Veiled Brother Ali reference? (based on your older comments)

I agree this is a valid point, though. Its nice when a rapper is clever as hell, but sometimes its OK to just dumb out and have fun. You don't have to like just one or the other imo.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:35 pm
breakfast

It's okay to dumb out, but that's not even what Wayne is good for - it's not vapid funtimes jams at all.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 pm
Dr Sagacious

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Sorry, I can't see myself making excuses for liking the guy. I can't sit there, and say "Well, if I just forget about people who make music with substance in their music, I can really like this guy." I don't care if you like him, but he should be more of a guilty pleasure, not a hyped up demigod.

If he's not going to make good music, or music with substance, I won't like him.

Calm down. He has no substance according to my tastes. I'm not sitting here insulting people for liking Lil Wayne. I'm just saying I don't like him. You guys want to get bent outta shape about that? Be my guest.

I don't see how not liking rap that doesn't speak to me is at all smug. I treat Hip Hop like I treat every other genre. I think Nickelback blows ,and nothing about them appeals to me. Am I smug because of that?
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 pm
AdamBomb

breakfast wrote:
It's okay to dumb out, but that's not even what Wayne is good for - it's not vapid funtimes jams at all.

Play "A Milli" in a club and watch what happens (yes even today).
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

AdamBomb wrote:

Veiled Brother Ali reference? (based on your older comments)

I agree this is a valid point, though. Its nice when a rapper is clever as hell, but sometimes its OK to just dumb out and have fun. You don't have to like just one or the other imo.

Adam, no it wasn't directed at Ali..I am actually very fond of Ali. I really enjoy his work. I may think an artist is great but that doesn't mean I like 100% of what they do
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:

Calm down. He has no substance according to my tastes. I'm not sitting here insulting people for liking Lil Wayne. I'm just saying I don't like him. You guys want to get bent outta shape about that? Be my guest.

I don't see how not liking rap that doesn't speak to me is at all smug. I treat Hip Hop like I treat every other genre. I think Nickelback blows ,and nothing about them appeals to me. Am I smug because of that?

this whole "doesn't speak to me" idea is nonsense you don't have to live a certain lifestyle to appreciate a type of music.
Can someone from Watts not appreciate Mozart because it doesn't speak to them? or country music for that matter?
Music is universal..if people in poland, sweden, germany can appreciate wayne so can you..
Im not attacking you on a personal level..just your thought process...I think you will view things differently eventually

Last edited by PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 pm
Dr Sagacious

Perhaps. Maybe I'm just explaining why I don't like Wayne or his contemporaries in the wrong way. I just don't like him. I used to. But then I just grew up away from it, like Metal in 9th grade. I just grew up away from it. Lil Wayne does nothing for me. There's nothing wrong with that. Oh wait, sorry Icarus, there is.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 am
tommi teardrop

When you say you have grown out of something, it usually implies that you have matured and moved on to something more interesting or thought provoking. It makes you sound like you are sitting at the adult table with your insightful rap eating lamb while us Wayne fans are at the kid's table drinking Kool Aid and eating chicken fingers.

As if there were something about Wayne or Metal that you could grow out of. Just stick with it not being your cup of tea. It's fine if it's just not your cup of tea. It really doesn't need to be anything more than that.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:31 am
Dr Sagacious

You're reading too much into what I say. Lil Wayne was my cup of tea when I was 18. Metallica was my cup of tea when I was 14. They're like clothes. I'm not looking down at all of you for liking Wayne. I liked him when I was younger, and now I don't. That's all.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am
tommi teardrop

Wayne is like hammerpants. Awesome.

I'm with Icarus, fuck this guy.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am
Dr Sagacious

Oh no! I'm so vain! I must have everyone like me! Shit, I'm sorry. Wayne is so good. He's the best, I swears!

PLEASE LIKE ME! I AM AFRAID I CAN'T CONTINUE IF TWO PEOPLE I'LL NEVER MEET DON'T LIKE ME AND MY OPINION!
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:05 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

You are not showing keen discernment, sound judgment, or farsightedness. A doctor of sagacity? I think not!!!
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:59 am
IAmNiki

so it's not the best rap song ever made or anything. It's still okay.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next