Order of Eminem albums:

Infinite
Slim Shady
Marshall Mathers
a bunch of other crap
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:01 am
redball

Sage Francis wrote:
My immediate impulse is to say "no." But since this is purely rhetorical, I thought of some instances where it might work out and be fun.

Your ego is like a positively charged stream of protons shooting out at the world like so many ghosts. Much the same can be said of Eminem. You and he are on parallel tracks with different destinations. It is important that these never cross.

If that were to happen... well, it would be bad. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. So, listen to me Sage. Do not cross the streams.

Unless maybe you do a battle with Gozer.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 am
Sarcastro

the mean wrote:
Just for the record, because I'm getting confused:

Order of Eminem albums:

Infinite
Slim Shady
Marshall Mathers
a bunch of other crap

I never count Infinite as an Em album.
so when I say 3rd album I meant Eminem Show and not MM.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am
bakemosphere

this beat is ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaopV_KCyis
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

he needs to stop singing
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Most of those albums and sales came out when people still had 56k modems and didn't bother with downloading shit..

If Eminem, Kid Rock, Creed, nSync or Britney came out today, they wouldn't sniff Diamond status..
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm
Captiv8

T-Wrex wrote:
Most of those albums and sales came out when people still had 56k modems and didn't bother with downloading shit..

If Eminem, Kid Rock, Creed, nSync or Britney came out today, they wouldn't sniff Diamond status..

There is definitely some validity to this. When artists like the above work on producing four really catchy singles and then roughly ten more filler tracks it's hard to believe they would sell actual records. Hopefully the digital revolution can be used to weed out the shitty artists out there, Brokencyde notwithstanding.

God, look at these chumps. The dude on the left seems like he could be OK, but I have to assume he's a whiny idiot by proxy.

Sorry, no hijack.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:41 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

BREE BREE
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

take the picture off please
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:20 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
Man. I was making a joke when I brought that shit up. Maybe it's an age thing. I'm old enough to actually remember all of the press nine years ago, and people responding to the fact that the Marshall Mathers LP had almost gone diamond by saying that most of the people buying it were only interested in it for the controversy.

That CD is more than 70 minutes long. Almost no filler. Guest vocals from several different platinum artists, a ton of Dr. Dre production. Three monster singles, and a fourth song that also charted in the first year. The song Stan was so well-received that the Dido song he sampled hit number one on the Billboard Top 40, and her album (No Angel) went platinum in the United States nearly two years after it was first released.

The album was also national news. He made a song about his wife which was a murder fantasy so vicious and hateful that she was widely reported to have attempted suicide as a result of it.

It was one of the first times in modern music that someone had gone so personal, so brutal, and so public.

The album made Eminem instantly notorious, and moved the discussion about him from what it had been (impressive newcomer, pop crossover rapper, white guy cashing in on Dr. Dre) to something closer to genuine legendary status in rap circles. Legendary is a good word for the album, actually. It's not a classic in the traditional sense of an album that changed the way we think about a genre or an era -- it's more like it stands unblemished at the center of a smoking crater, like an Arthur C. Clarke monolith. It landed, it distorted the world around it for a time, and then eventually its influence over us faded and we moved on. A classic is defined by the way it ages along with us. That which is legendary is instead defined by its agelessness.

Oh, yeah, and the homophobia thing. The album succeeded first, and that's what GLAAD got pissed about, and protested. Looking back at that nine years later, I'm reminded more of the GEICO Cavemen than I am of anything else. Eminem did a song at the Grammys with Elton John, and suddenly the issue went from being a matter for mainstream debate to being a topic of activist infighting. For the most part, people packed up their shit and started looking for the next controversy. Eminem toned down the language in subsequent releases, not so much because somebody changed his mind about it, but more because he won that fight and decided to move on to something else.

In fact, he spent huge portions of his next album wondering aloud why people had made such a big deal about whether or not the things he had to say were politically acceptable. He made the point, especially in Sing for the Moment, that the people who buy his music weren't buying it for the controversy, but because the music genuinely resonated with them. He wasn't wrong about that, even if a lot of those same people who bought the album grew up to be embarrassed by what it meant to them.

So, yeah. Saying that people bought the album to argue about whether or not it's okay to say faggot is an argument made in bad faith. People who said it at the time were doing so because they wanted to dismiss the idea that something so powerful and so ugly could be garnering both critical and commercial success on its own merits. They said the appeal was shock value, because they didn't want to admit that music packed full of so much rage and despair could have some kind of universality to it.

People who say the same thing now, that most of the album sales were because of the controversy, I'm less sure about. Sometimes we hear a thing enough times, and start thinking it's true.

You write shit that, after reading it, I can't tell if I've been persuaded or just had my own thoughts repeated back to me in a far clearer form than I could have managed. Which is to say, i agree with you.
Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:43 pm
Dr Sagacious

Dude, Brokencyde is the worst thing I've ever listened to. But it's almost as if it's a trainwreck. I just can't stop listening to how awful they are! Combining the worst aspects of the two genres they mix. How is this legal!!?
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am
Disharmony

I couldn't believe the crowd they had at warped tour this year. I legitimately thought about going up to their booth and asking them to just stop.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 am
AdamBomb

I'm glad Brokencyde exists. They are playing the theme song to "idiocracy". If you ever meet someone that says they like Brokencyde and the look in their eyes is sincere, you run from that person and don't even look back.

Every musical artist or act that you say is the worst, you now may have to rethink that when you compare them to Brokencyde. The sad part is that their act is not a joke.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 am
Alan Hague

I am truly astonished at how horrible their music is. Couldn't get past a minute and a half of one of their videos - and they were on Warped Tour?? What the fuck?!

This is great, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokencyde#Critical_reception

Brokencyde has been universally panned by critics. Metal Edge magazine has called Brokencyde "fucking horrendous".[15] "Thrash Magazine" has called them "a mockery to the world of music". Cracked.com contributor Michael Swaim said the band sounded like "a Slipknot-Cher duet".[16] [17] British commentator Warren Ellis calls Brokencyde's "Freaxxx" music video "a near-perfect snapshot of everything thatís shit about this point in the culture".[18]

The New Musical Express stated in a review of I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It!, that "even if I caught Prince Harry and Gary Glitter adorned in Nazi regalia defecating through my grandmotherís letterbox I would still consider making them listen to this album too severe a punishment."[19]

Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low told mtv.com:

"There used to be that whole mentality of ... it had to be 100 percent genuine, or no one would take it seriously. But that whole line has been blurred now ... You have all these kids coming up on Disney pop who then discover bands like BrokeNCYDE, and they're like, 'Oh my God, they said fuck!,' and they fall in love instantly, because it's their version of '80s punk."[20]

August Brown of the Los Angeles Times writes:

"The prerecorded backing tracks and juvenile misogyny of bands such as the New Mexico screamo-crunk act BrokenCYDE are affronts to traditionalist punk values."[21] "This (sic) 'Albucrazy'-based band has done for MySpace emo what some think Soulja Boy did for hip-hop: turn their career into a kind of macro-performance art that exists so far beyond the tropes of irony and sincerity that to ask 'are they kidding?' is like trying to peel an onion to get to a perceived central core that, in the end, does not exist and renders all attempts to reassemble the pieces futile."[22]
[url][/url]
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 am
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

Every time I see this at the top of the threads, I have to take a moment and make sure i don't lose my grilled cheese.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next