U.S. Government Settlement Of American Indian Lawsuit
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

RealJustice

U.S. Government Settlement Of American Indian Lawsuit  Reply with quote  

New York Times wrote:
U.S. Agrees to $3 Billion Deal in Indian Trust Suit
By CHARLIE SAVAGE

WASHINGTON The federal government announced on Tuesday that it intends to pay $3.4 billion to settle claims that it has mismanaged the revenue in American Indian trust funds, potentially ending one of the longest and most complicated class-action lawsuits ever brought against the government.

The tentative agreement, reached late Monday between Obama administration negotiators and lawyers for some 300,000 individual American Indians, would resolve a 13-year-old lawsuit over trust accounts established in the 19th century...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/us/09tribes.html
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I just heard this story on NPR while I was driving. This is a big issue that almost no one will care about. And of course the common American will be like, "What the fuck...3 BILLION of our tax dollars will be going to the Indians??"

Truth is, they're owed much more than that. And, no, not just because their land was stolen from them before and after white settlers killed off 98% of their population. We owe them money due to a deal that was made when the US used their land (it was their land legally) for the sake of oil and raw materials. The deal was that they would pay the Indians part of the profits that were made off of their land, and for a great deal of time that did not happen. During this 13 year long class action suit, documents were actually DESTROYED in an effort to screw the Indians of money that was owed to them.

It's nice that this is being settled. Maybe nice isn't the right word...maybe I should say "neat." It's pretty neat. It's so neat and nice how it breaks down to about $1000 being paid to each person who stands to make money from this settlement.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm
sparrow

agreed. how can you even put a price tag on something so awful? its better than nothing but still, its almost nothing. there should be some large, prime pieces of land handed back over with a huge chunk of change right behind it, for starters.
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm
Reggie

Sage Francis wrote:
I just heard this story on NPR while I was driving. This is a big issue that almost no one will care about. And of course the common American will be like, "What the fuck...3 BILLION of our tax dollars will be going to the Indians??"

Truth is, they're owed much more than that. And, no, not just because their land was stolen from them before and after killed off 98% of their population. We owe them money due to a deal that was made when the US used their land (it was their land legally) for the sake of oil and raw materials. The deal was that they would pay the Indians part of the profits that were made off of their land, and for a great deal of time that did not happen. During this 13 year long class action suit, documents were actually DESTROYED in an effort to screw the Indians of money that was owed to them.

It's nice that this is being settled. Maybe nice isn't the right word...maybe I should say "neat." It's pretty neat. It's so neat and nice how it breaks down to about $1000 being paid to each person who stands to make money from this settlement.

I agree with your sentiment, but it's more like ten thousand to every person. Still, a trifling sum in light of the facts.
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The "$1000 per person" thing is a figure I reiterated by the woman who was responsible for this 13 year class action suit.
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:24 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

if its 300,000 defendents isnt that 10k per person?
Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:50 am
Raoul DeGroot

The article itself says that everybody gets $1,000 and the rest is dispersed according to how much land they own.

I bet they won't be getting that money for a long time.
Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:04 am
mzehe916

Sage Francis wrote:

Truth is, they're owed much more than that. And, no, not just because their land was stolen from them before and after white settlers killed off 98% of their population. We owe them money due to a deal that was made when the US used their land (it was their land legally) for the sake of oil and raw materials.
Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 am
phataccino

Of the $3.4 billion, about 2 billion will be used to buy back and consolidate land lost by previously generations, so $1.4 billion goes to the class. I'm sure the attorneys get a big chunk of that. The $1,000 figure makes sense in terms of cash payouts. And I bet they get the money relatively quickly. This isn't a legal decision that will be endlessly appealed, it's a settlement.
Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:30 am
Captiv8

No amount of money will ever be enough, though I'm glad that they will be getting something, even if it's only a small sum or on principle. But this is kind of like the school bully giving you back your fifty cents after he drank all the milk.
Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:09 pm
Smurf Stomper

Captiv8 wrote:
No amount of money will ever be enough, though I'm glad that they will be getting something, even if it's only a small sum or on principle. But this is kind of like the school bully giving you back your fifty cents after he drank all the milk.

Agreed. If I remember correctly, weren't you going to go to grad school for some type of Native American studies? I watched a program about the Comanche the other night on the history channel and it really made me sad. Part of me wishes that life was still that way. I enjoy all of the modern conveniences that we have but it seems like living back then would have been a much more satisfying life.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:17 pm
Captiv8

Smurf Stomper wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

Agreed. If I remember correctly, weren't you going to go to grad school for some type of Native American studies? I watched a program about the Comanche the other night on the history channel and it really made me sad. Part of me wishes that life was still that way. I enjoy all of the modern conveniences that we have but it seems like living back then would have been a much more satisfying life.

That is correct. My focus is pre-Columbian and very early colonial, but I've been thinking about something more modern.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:32 pm
breakfast

Smurf Stomper wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

There are things like antibiotics and public health programs that make me happier to live now. Also, not facing eradication from a colonizing culture and the cohabiting pathogens they bring with is pretty nice.

But I do understand this sentiment. The notion of communal living and regular engagement with nature aren't anything to scoff at. I wonder if we will, as a generation, attempt to reclaim any of these aspects of life. We certainly idealize them enough.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm
Captiv8

breakfast wrote:
Smurf Stomper wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

There are things like antibiotics and public health programs that make me happier to live now. Also, not facing eradication from a colonizing culture and the cohabiting pathogens they bring with is pretty nice.

But I do understand this sentiment. The notion of communal living and regular engagement with nature aren't anything to scoff at. I wonder if we will, as a generation, attempt to reclaim any of these aspects of life. We certainly idealize them enough.

There have been vague allusions to starting a forum commune. I honestly wouldn't mind giving up everything technological, with the exception of modern music. The TV, the video games, the phone, the lights and running water, I can give it all up. But I need my tunes. Guess I'm going to have to memorize a lot of stuff.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 pm
sparrow

id do that in a heartbeat. id miss a few songs too but if they are really that good youll remember'em anyway. plus just think of the songs we'd come up with!
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next