Search
Register
PFA/Metermaids Providence show 12/9
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Alan Hague

I'm impressed by how Flobots really stand by their message. Not only do they advocate for positive social change in their lyrics, but they live it - they have their own registered non-profit; they own a community space in Denver which puts on shows for the youth and allows for community groups to have a free, steady place to hold meetings; they play so many benefit shows they probably can't keep count (including one most recently to combat human trafficking); and they have around 100 street teams around the U.S. to help advocate for all of this.

I wasn't feeling the Handlebars song at first, thinking dude wasn't sincere, but I've definitely since changed my mind. I'm psyched about playing this show!
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:34 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

Disharmony wrote:
Why do you refer to flobots as "flobites?" I just wanna know where the dislike is coming from.

because dude's flow on 'handlebars' sounds like a flagrant jack of sage's flow on 'sea lion'.

jared's hipped me to the good shit they're doing, and i think all of it is dope.

however, the curmudgeon in me says biting is biting... and i've ranted about it to more than one person as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs

you might argue "Sage didn't invent a bounce flow..." but the resemblance in the way these lines are put together is uncanny. combine that with the fact that dudes used to hang out in Providence, attended the slam once or twice, certainly knew of Sage...

ehhhhh. nibble nibble.

all that aside, i hope PFA murdahs these shows. i'm anxious to see that crowd react to jared & co.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's not even just that, but the Sea Lion thing is for real. haha. In fact, just recently I saw a performance of them doing the stupid hand wave thing that I do during my live Sea Lion performances. I wish someone was with me when I saw that. But the faux-rage settled fairly quickly. Really, this not the only reason they are called the Flobites.

I can't believe we're discussing these people right now. I don't care what political stances they're taking or what they represent when we're discussing wack music. Are they politically fraudulent? Maybe, maybe not. But the truth is, I don't know them because of their politics. For some reason fans of theirs want to keep talking about their political involvements. Who cares? It's like some extra-curricular activity that they try to define themselves by in hopes that no one notices they are artistically fraudulent. Are you going to tell me that Nickleback is actually pretty dope because they host al-anon meetings in every city they tour?

The Flobites scored big with Handlebars. I'm as surprised as almost anyone else about that. It's no "Riding Through the Desert on a Horse with No Name" but it certainly made its rounds. If they're around in 5 years and they're still making music I may reassess my feelings about them. I highly doubt that will be the case.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 pm
lord soth

Sage Francis wrote:
It's no "Riding Through the Desert on a Horse with No Name" but it certainly made its rounds.

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 pm
Jared Paul

Soooo! How bout those Mets? Darryl Strawberry, back in rehab! Ohh jeez, did I say Mets? I meant Metermaids... how bout those Metermaids?!?!

PFA & Metermaids in Providence? December 9th?
Boy am I lookin' forward to that one!

( :
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alan Hague

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had no idea the Providence show flyer was this gigantic, but oh well!
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:06 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm just glad that the flobites flyer isn't so big.

;-)
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:07 pm
Bob Harris

We are very excited to come back to Providence and even more excited to play with PFA.
And I think PFA is going to destroy these flobots shows. And that makes me happy.
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:05 pm
Jared Paul

We got back from North Carolina on the 12th, having finished up the tracking for our upcoming five song EP produced by 9th Wonder. The experience was truly a dream come true -- 9th, beyond being one of the nicest cats we have met in the game, is so fucking good at what he does that it's outrageous. I told him when we were down there that if producers were able to see his process and how quickly he can make the illest beat you've ever heard there would be a lot of producers hanging up their MPC's. For reals.

So we ended up taking a crack at around eight songs, and whittled those down to the five that we are keeping. Now 9th is putting the finishing touches on the tracks, and once he's done with that we will be ready to mix. The EP is a perfect meeting point between our two styles -- it's got the same sort of aggressive, rock-y feel we have been cultivating, but 9th brings that soul to it. We couldn't be happier with it. I don't want to reveal too many details about it, because we be trying to build some excitement ova heeeeya. Nahmean?

Big big sheeeeiot coming down the pike. We'll be in Providence with Prayers for Atheists Dec. 9th, and will be bringing them back to NYC on Dec. 12th.

Holler. Holy shit! Metermaids working with 9th Wonder?!?!?"

"
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cousin Tom

I'm so pumped for these shows!! Especially because we'll be playing a couple of new songs :)
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:07 pm
Jared Paul

I'm on my way to band prac now. We're droppin' 2 brand new songs at tomorrow nights show! I'm pretty pumped. We've got one spot left on the guest list- if you're comin' and you want in hit me up at: jaredpaul1@gmail.com
Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 pm
Disharmony

b. dolan wrote:
Disharmony wrote:
Why do you refer to flobots as "flobites?" I just wanna know where the dislike is coming from.

because dude's flow on 'handlebars' sounds like a flagrant jack of sage's flow on 'sea lion'.

jared's hipped me to the good shit they're doing, and i think all of it is dope.

however, the curmudgeon in me says biting is biting... and i've ranted about it to more than one person as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs

you might argue "Sage didn't invent a bounce flow..." but the resemblance in the way these lines are put together is uncanny. combine that with the fact that dudes used to hang out in Providence, attended the slam once or twice, certainly knew of Sage...

ehhhhh. nibble nibble.

all that aside, i hope PFA murdahs these shows. i'm anxious to see that crowd react to jared & co.
Hmmm, interesting. Personally I've never connected those dots and still have trouble seeing it. It sounds like something more personal went down and that's what I want to hear about, Sage?

I am guessing there was an exchange of words before "Handlebars" even hit the airwaves. But I speculate while I masturbate.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:54 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

All I remember of the main dude is seeing him at Providence slams back in the day. He may have even given me a demo once. He was a Brown University kid if I remember correctly. Then one day I was sitting in my car hearing Handlebars on the radio and I nearly shit myself. Like..."What in holy hell IS this bullshit?" At which point Jared reminded me that he used to hang at the slams. And not only are there some major resemblances to Sea Lion but he also does some stuff that I immediately recognized as Jared style. heh. And from that point on they've always been Flobites to me.
Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:19 am
Jared Paul

Show went well! Our set jumped off. Was nowhere near as packed as it was by the end, but we definitely made our case. I love having a monitor guy right on the side of stage! Jesus, I could get used to that.

Our engineer, Dan Sawyer, was gonna take pics with his badass camera but this was a way early all ages show and he got caught in traffic. Walked in just as we were wrapping up. We had a good crowd, not counting an additional 15 extra people who came just to see us but got there after the set.

On On On to the next one, On to the next one...

Metermaids with PFA Wednesday at AS220?!

We got a million ways to get it.
Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:50 am
Alan Hague

Yes, the show definitely went well. I'd guess there were 40 people at the start of our set, 80 people by the end of it. Good reception, too; the PFA fans in the crowd told us people were really into it. Wish we could've played later, so the 15 or so other people who drove to see us would've actually seen us, haha. C'est la vie. The Harper's Ferry sound crew did a great job, though.

Kinetix did their thing; Josh, their bass player, reminded me so much of Mo Dorez, I could hardly believe it. I wanted to give him a hug every time I bumped into him.

Flobots played an awesome set, too. Their fans were flipping out! Definitely fun to watch.
Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next