Search
Register
Silk Nog > Egg Nog
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Raoul DeGroot

Are you saying that vegetarians eat veggie burgers because they like ground and shaped foods? Veggie bacon because they like food in rectangles?
They're eating it because they want the original meat experience, but they're too nice to take their flavor needs out on the earth or their body so they have foolish looking processed imitations instead.
To our twisted hedonist value system we find this ridiculous.

The food is copycat. It's specifically marketed as copycat food. That is its whole reason for existing. They put it in a mold to make it look like an authentic food object.

Do you not find a McRib sandwich funny?
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

@ic

yeah, cause a burger is just a patty of ground up stuff. a boca burger is still a burger. however, a vegan cheesesteak does not exist, as much as they want it to. there is something proprietary about it. a vegan "cheesesteak" might taste good, but it sure as hell doesn't taste anything like the real thing and so it shouldn't be referred to by the same name.

doesn't it bug you when people refer to the black eyed peas as hip hop?
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:03 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Being a vegan can be a hard thing. Who could blame them for having a few central delusions to help them with regrets, temptation, and intrusive meat eaters.

That's how I feel about people with religion sometimes. Being a human and dying is a hard thing. Maybe it's useful to just put block off certain corridors of thought and call it a day.

They are a beset upon people. And many have the hyped up responses of an anatgonized minority.

Poor critters.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:12 pm
futuristxen

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

Do you not find a McRib sandwich funny?

Isn't that part of its experience? Also part of the McRib sandwich is it's mercurial presence on the McDonald's menu. It's like the fast food equivalent of a solar eclipse. It's less a food than it is a cult phenomenon.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:15 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Yeah, I like the fuckedupedness of getting excited for a rib shaped hotdog covered in plastic bag barbecue sauce.

But I've always had a thing for formed foods. They fascinate me. I'm not sure why. I like their texture. That little bend and then break as you bite into them. They are plump.
Plus they're just some futuristic type stuff.
I really liked that prototype Wonka gum that had the three course meal contained. Violet ended up looking like a formed food herself after eating that.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:31 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

crash wrote:
however, a vegan cheesesteak does not exist, as much as they want it to. there is something proprietary about it. a vegan "cheesesteak" might taste good, but it sure as hell doesn't taste anything like the real thing and so it shouldn't be referred to by the same name.

doesn't it bug you when people refer to the black eyed peas as hip hop?

Not really.

You go ahead and make up a name for a vegan Philly cheesesteak, and I'll start using it. Just to do my part to make the world a little less hostile towards you.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:38 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

The food is copycat. It's specifically marketed as copycat food. That is its whole reason for existing. They put it in a mold to make it look like an authentic food object.

While I agree with your overall sentiment you seem to be overlooking the fact that a circular disc of meat is not an "authentic food object," whatever that means. Instead of authentic, it's functional. It fits on a circular bun. And a circular bun is nice because it matches the shape of the sliced condiments one places on it - onions and tomatoes specifically. Come to think of it, I can't think of an "authentic food object," which I guess is why there's the vocation of butchery, which over time has defined the shape of meat in our collective imagination.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:52 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I bet I could make a vegetarian, even vegan, "cheesesteak" that's at least as tasty the crap you get on the corner in Philly. I mean, think about cheesesteaks. Some are great, some are gross. The difference is in the cut of meat, the cheese, and to a lesser extent the other stuff. Good onions and green peppers go far. A real good, fresh cheese goes really really far, especially compared to the fucking Cheez Whiz that you get some places ('why do people with shitty taste insist on naming their copycat foods after things people with tastebuds and standards like fuckin 'cheese' foods). If you have everything else ok, then a good, savory seitan-mushroom 'steak' beats some crappy round steak out the microwave.

I say this as a pretty serious omnivore.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 pm
futuristxen

GrantherBirdly wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:

which I guess is why there's the vocation of butchery, which over time has defined the shape of meat in our collective imagination.

I wonder if Butchers are linked up with the freemasons and Illuminati wizards?

You forgot to mention that burgers are circular to prepare for the alien settling crafts, which will also be burger shaped in notion.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:11 pm
futuristxen

???

The first burger picture, which I "elec-ted" not to use, came from a site that said "Am I raising a bigot?"
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:14 pm
futuristxen

The question should have been: Am I raising a piglet?

Am I right vegans? Come on! High five! (boo-yah)
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:15 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

I didn't mean to suggest butchers had formed a sinister pact to cut meats into particular and insidious shapes. It's just that, if meat had some obvious authentic form, then why would we have needed to entrust the proper cutting of it to professionals.

Last edited by GrantherBirdly on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:16 pm
Raoul DeGroot

GrantherBirdly wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:

While I agree with your overall sentiment you seem to be overlooking the fact that a circular disc of meat is not an "authentic food object," whatever that means. Instead of authentic, it's functional. It fits on a circular bun. And a circular bun is nice because it matches the shape of the sliced condiments one places on it - onions and tomatoes specifically. Come to think of it, I can't think of an "authentic food object," which I guess is why there's the vocation of butchery, which over time has defined the shape of meat in our collective imagination.

Yeah, I thought I should have amended that. It's tough to not be too wordy. I guess by authentic I mean

-food that is in the shapes you found it in nature (a turkey vs tofurkey vs yknow like molded meat frozen dinner) or got to its new shape in just a few steps.

-food that has a traceable evolution. and didn't just pop up on the scene in a certain form to fill a hole in the market and provide a symbol for stuff that people ate in the past before economics and marketing played such a huge role in how we consume. We eat simulacrum food. Purple drink instead of grape juice, cheesefood block instead of a block of cheese. Candies in the shape of fruit. yadda yadda.

I'm just being a pharisee and trying to trip jesus's up with the whole authenticity argument, though.
I like new food shapes and processes. I get a kick out of the bizarre things humans make.
I would like veggie shaped foods fine if they compensated for their lack of freshness with animal fats. But they don't, so I'm ambivalent to them.
I don't know why everything has to beat something else.

Lots of vegans do seem to care about freshness and authenticity though, so I don't know why they don't try harder to popularize foods that play to the inherent strengths of the foods that they can eat and forget about the whole turning it into a meat symbol concept.

Wouldn't you just call a veggie cheesesteak sandwich a pepper, cheese and mushroom or something catchier? Is it really the block food element that's important?
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:17 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:21 pm
futuristxen

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

I'm just being a pharisee and trying to trip jesus's up with the whole authenticity argument, though.
I like new food shapes and processes. I get a kick out of the bizarre things humans make.
I would like veggie shaped foods fine if they compensated for their lack of freshness with animal fats. But they don't, so I'm ambivalent to them.
I don't know why everything has to beat something else.

Lots of vegans do seem to care about freshness and authenticity though, so I don't know why they don't try harder to popularize foods that play to the inherent strengths of the foods that they can eat and forget about the whole turning it into a meat symbol concept.

Exactly. It shouldn't be about trying to make it in the symbol of some other food just to market it better. That should be part of a joke that is being told with the food. But why put so much time into parodying those foods, when you could be pushing the limits of the veggies you can eat and go with? Make the new chicken finger or pizza.

Something like some pastas or curries are good examples of vegetarian food gone good. You eat a veggie curry, you're not thinking "wow this is almost as good as the meat version it's trying to parody".
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next