Search
Register
A serving of Tom Robbins anyone?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

firefly

The reason I ask is because he says "Spoon" not "A spoon" which is what the spoon was called in the book and because the Spoon was one of the inatimates who were TRAVELLING to Jerusalem.

But I have a tendency to find meaning in things from which there are no meaning.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 11:40 pm
Sheika

FireFly wrote:
The reason I ask is because he says "Spoon" not "A spoon" which is what the spoon was called in the book and because the Spoon was one of the inatimates who were TRAVELLING to Jerusalem.

But I have a tendency to find meaning in things from which there are no meaning.

no no i understand why you thought of that cute character Spoon. but in the context it just seems that he was speaking of a spoon and left out the 'the'. could be most wrong though
Post Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

SneebDotCom wrote:

I'm currently stuck on Notes from the underground by dostoevsky... he wrote it just for me i tell you... just for me!!!!

-my favorite dostoyevsky. It's something you can read over and over and take a bit more from each time

check out "The Master and the Margarita" by Bulgakov(sp?) - you might like
Post Wed May 07, 2003 1:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
molasses

I read Fierce Invalids a while ago and found that it really dragged on. I just finished Skinny Legs and All and thought it was great. Thus, I'm still undecided whether or not he's a good writer
Post Wed May 07, 2003 6:20 am
Sheika

molasses wrote:
I read Fierce Invalids a while ago and found that it really dragged on. I just finished Skinny Legs and All and thought it was great. Thus, I'm still undecided whether or not he's a good writer

well before making said decision you really must read Jitterbug Perfume. because i was already a fan when i read fierce invalids i was more than willing or able to enjoy the 'dragging onness' of it.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 8:24 am
Awww mn

check out The Elephant Vanishes  Reply with quote  

murakami is nice. wind-up bird chronicle is good, but i think his short stories are better. he goes a little crazy with the western pop-culture references so that kind of affected my opinion when I had to read a long ass novel of it. but i do like the isolated atmosphere he creates. and i also love stories about extraordinary scenarios gettin in ordinary peoples' faces. some of the stuff is creepy but it's like the broad daylight kind of creepy as opposed to the dark basement style. sorry if i sound stupid. it's morning and i'm not fully awake yet. just wanted to say murakami is cool. i'm down.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 10:14 am
Sheika

i think i find the western references endearing or something. because it is a dash of the familiar and it's just like...hey man i like bob dylan too. trite but oh well. :)
Post Wed May 07, 2003 3:13 pm
dense

i love a lot of the writers mentioned and will check out the rest......

currently loving the works of raymond carver and yukio mishima.... two amazing writers with a consistent bulk of worthwhile books to read....
Post Wed May 07, 2003 3:26 pm
Awww mn

styles upon styles upon styles is what they have  Reply with quote  

Raymond Carver and DH Lawrence droppin science
Post Wed May 07, 2003 4:02 pm
Bohne

dense wrote:
i love a lot of the writers mentioned and will check out the rest......

Me too, I read a lot by Dostojevski, it was a love/hate thing. Try Tolstoi, I find him more, uhm.. complete, don't know how to describe it.
I heard a lot about some of those authors mentioned before - apart from robbins :)
*sigh* I wish I had some time(and bucks) to spare right now - I should read some more literature... too much philosophy recently... university is makes my head ache :-P

peace,
aka
Post Wed May 07, 2003 4:55 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2