Search
Register
A serving of Tom Robbins anyone?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Sheika

A serving of Tom Robbins anyone?  Reply with quote  

well in my more bland moments, i tend to question others as to their tastes on well....anything. and tom robbins is an author that captivates me time and time again. i've read it all except the first book he wrote and well wow, wahoo and such. wondering who else has enjoyed this good sir. or who else is enjoyable.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:02 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

I never liked Tom Robbins much. It always seemed to me like he tried too hard, like his writing was a bit forced.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sheika

i could understand and pehaps even identify with you. the thing is that i really enjoy his ideas, plot and use of words. despite this i still find him entertaining beyond belief. who is someone that you really enjoy reading?
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:11 pm
Sheika

RandomSurge wrote:
if you wanna talk "forced" just read some shakespeare

heh agreed
also if you want to talk "lifted ideas" or "sonnets" that could use a dash of hot sauce or something. anything. man.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:13 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

Haruki Murakami is someone I've been into for a bit. His short stories are great.

I'm reading Nabokov's Bend Sinister which is very good
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sheika

ChristopherWalken wrote:
Haruki Murakami is someone I've been into for a bit. His short stories are great.

I'm reading Nabokov's Bend Sinister which is very good

oh man i love haruki. i like his novels more than his collection of short stories. Hardboiled Wonderland is great, as well as Sputnik Sweetheart [about a Jack Kerouac obessessed lesbian oh lala] is lovely. i have read a substantial amount of his literature and it was all rocking. Nabokov's Lolita is to die for and Despair isn't a bad read either. yeah. sorry. books, i enjoy.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:18 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Some writers are gifted with putting words in the right order.... other writers are idea men... Tom Robbins is an amazing idea man.

I'm currently stuck on Notes from the underground by dostoevsky... he wrote it just for me i tell you... just for me!!!!
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:35 pm
Sheika

SneebDotCom wrote:
Some writers are gifted with putting words in the right order.... other writers are idea men... Tom Robbins is an amazing idea man.

I'm currently stuck on Notes from the underground by dostoevsky... he wrote it just for me i tell you... just for me!!!!

i never really got into the big D. :) i dont know...personally i enjoy the way robbins uses his words...a lot.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 9:47 pm
Jesse

I love Murakami too... so far my favourite thing I've read by him was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but Sputnik Sweetheart was reallllll close. I shall read more.

--

Tom Robbins used to be one of my favourite authors. I read Skinny Legs And All when I was in grade 9 or 10 and I'm still pretty sure it was amazing. I read Another Roadside Attraction and sure did like it. I read Even Cowgirls Get The Blues and it was of comparable quality, but I started to realize something about him that I didn't like... he's insufferably sanctimonious. He writes with too heavy a hand jerking off neo-hippies and giving the finger to the supposed establishment. After a while it leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth, and by the time I finished Half Asleep In Frog Pyjamas, I didn't want to read his stuff anymore. It's too polarized and acrimonious.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:10 pm
Sheika

Jesse wrote:
I love Murakami too... so far my favourite thing I've read by him was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but Sputnik Sweetheart was reallllll close. I shall read more.

--

Tom Robbins used to be one of my favourite authors. I read Skinny Legs And All when I was in grade 9 or 10 and I'm still pretty sure it was amazing. I read Another Roadside Attraction and sure did like it. I read Even Cowgirls Get The Blues and it was of comparable quality, but I started to realize something about him that I didn't like... he's insufferably sanctimonious. He writes with too heavy a hand jerking off neo-hippies and giving the finger to the supposed establishment. After a while it leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth, and by the time I finished Half Asleep In Frog Pyjamas, I didn't want to read his stuff anymore. It's too polarized and acrimonious.

i find when reading any author extensively, you will find their constistencies that can be an annoyance. i understand what you are saying. the wind up bird chronicle was great!! in the bottom of the well...
have you read any banana yoshimoto?
she is not quite as exciting as murakami but certainly intriguing.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:15 pm
firefly

I'm a pretty big T.R. fan. I've read all his books and waiting for his next one. My girlfriend said the same thing about him sounding like he tries too hard, but I love his use of words and his theories. "Jiiterbug perfume" is probably my favorite. I remember wanting to try his method to achieve longevity.

While we're on the subject of Tom Robbins there's been something on my mind for awhile. In "God loves ugly" Slug has a line where he says "I travel with spoon to mix this cake batter." Was that a reference to "Skinny legs and all"?
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:31 pm
DM

It's threads like these which make me love this forum. Robbins is a baddass though...

abacus
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:36 pm
Sheika

good badass.
Jitterbug was the first one i read. and still holds a certain shine.
hmm and about that line...i am really not sure. i remember spoon but not sure i remember anything that would make the cake batter reference sensical. Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates was a fun one. Nuns...many nuns in the desert.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 11:03 pm
Swipe

It's armloads of gems with this man.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 11:10 pm
Sheika

Swipe wrote:
It's armloads of gems with this man.

that was a great description in my opinion. he is a character indeed. indeed.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 11:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next