Search
Register
why do 'whites' not identify with their culture as much as
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

phataccino

Hahaha...jesus. As if Beck couldn't be more of a tool. I thought Katie Couric did a pretty good job with that. "This isn't edited, and you can have as much time as you want to explain it."
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm
shambhala

the point is that the ONLY cultural characteristic that composes the identity "white," is the shared belief in white supremacy. historically at least. that's the roots of the identity, "white." period. so that's what you're referring to when you talk about "white culture."
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:15 pm
The Count

shambhala wrote:
the point is that the ONLY cultural characteristic that composes the identity "white," is the shared belief in white supremacy. historically at least. that's the roots of the identity, "white." period. so that's what you're referring to when you talk about "white culture."

This is true. The reason why this is brought up so much is that white kids in america kinda have a lack of a culture to cling on to since so many of us are mutts and our parents and grandparents tried very hard to lose traces of their european ancestory. So they see different groups with festivals of pride in who they are and are left with a subconscious feeling of exclusion.

One gripe that I have with racial identity in this country is the idea that there is some common "african" culture. Africa is a big fucking continent and home to hundreds of different ethnic groups and cultures. It just strikes me as intellectually lazy when I hear africa and africans spoken about as if they are one homogeneous society.

The endgame is that we all stop thinking of ourselves as different shades and embrace our common "american" culture. My money is on my children's generation getting it done. It won't happen until everyone who was alive in the jim crowe era is dead.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:29 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

The Count wrote:

One gripe that I have with racial identity in this country is the idea that there is some common "african" culture. Africa is a big fucking continent and home to hundreds of different ethnic groups and cultures. It just strikes me as intellectually lazy when I hear africa and africans spoken about as if they are one homogeneous society.

I don't think most black people really know where they're from on that continent. The modern African countries we have today were not around when slaves were being taken to the new world. There was no Ellis Island for blacks. I'm not sure a black person today could even trace their lineage back to a certain part of Africa if they wanted to.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:38 pm
Confidential

Read up on the pan-African movement.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:01 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Confidential wrote:

Just did. Doesn't seem to be that widespread. Like, I've never heard much about it from any black people I know. How much a part of black culture would you say this is (because now that I think about it, none of my black friends or coworkers would really be into that kind of thing)?
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:26 pm
Confidential

that was a quick read homie.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:31 pm
AdamBomb

In America, can we really really generalize any culture by skin color in these times? I think we have general American culture, regional culture, and class culture. There may be some internal skin color based culture within regions/class lines, but its definitely questionable whether you can just lump each of these groups together across regions. People of the same class but in different regions struggle to share a same culture. Even by saying "black culture" it even seems racist, because it seems to denote a form of generalization. I am me, who can speak on my behalf otherwise?

However...for political and advertising purposes, we are all generalized to achieve certain objectives. Its just not good political correctness to talk in these terms.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:44 pm
Confidential

EDIT: Out this thread outta respect for white folks' working out their own cultural issues
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:03 am
shambhala

i never believed in the myth of an American identity until i spent a long time away from it. i don't know about "exceptional," but we are definitely unique and share many common characteristics. one of the many reasons why Americans should spend more time traveling.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:03 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Confidential wrote:

Just did. Doesn't seem to be that widespread. Like, I've never heard much about it from any black people I know. How much a part of black culture would you say this is (because now that I think about it, none of my black friends or coworkers would really be into that kind of thing)?

Pan-Africanism does not revolve around the notion that Africa is homogeneous.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:23 am
cakes

i'm with sham, and had the same experiences traveling abroad. what i would get frustrated with is the idea that some things aren't "enough."

i was thinking about this yesterday when i visited my dad. he can trace his roots back to early pilgrim days. pretty sure that a relative was an indentured servant who came over on the mayflower. i grew up in a very old farm house with an old chapel downtown. i love lobsters and clam chowders and light houses. it's not that we don't embrace culture, it's that we don't necessarily pay attention to it all the time because it's just who we are. and new england culture may be quiet, but it's no less of a way of life.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:02 am
Plum Puddin'

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6