shambhala wrote:
the contortionist wrote:
shambhala wrote:
DM wrote:
shambhala wrote:
DM wrote:
shambhala wrote:
"mobb deep's producer."

yeah. slash literally one of the most influential rapper/producers of the 90s, hands down.

It's a great song, and a classic for sure. I dont' know how revolutionary or game changing it was though.

Are you fucking kidding me? That song invented grimy, aggressive, mean-spirited, dark rap.

Crime-oriented rap has been around forever, but Shook Ones changed the complexion of what it meant to rap about violence. G Rap, Schoolly D, Eazy E, Ice T....yes people were doing it before Shook Ones, but the music itself was upbeat and sonically not much different than non-crime rap. Maybe you could say that The Chronic really broke that ground first, but even there it's more funk, synthy, dance tracks. Shook Ones was grimy...you don't dance to that song, you don't get hype, you sit down, nod your head and think about people you don't like. it's the epitome of dark and morose. That shit literally shot off a whole sound; 50 Cent wouldn't exist if it wasn't for that song.

There is nothing on Illmatic even remotely close to the vibe of that song. Illmatic is Nas sitting in the project window and looking down at what Prodigy is doing in an alley and talking about how crazy the situation is. That song is some totally unashamedly "666" shit.

That song didn't invent grimey, or aggressinve, or mean-spirited, or dark rap. It was a continuation of a sound that was already devloped.

You're all over the place here. There all sorts of dark, slow, grimey tracks (though maybe not as celebrated) that came before Shook Ones. It was a whole NY sound for a while, and it's one of the best, but you're giving Shook Ones way too much credit. And bringing up the Chronic as a comparison makes everything even way more off base.

And 50 Cent wouldn't exist if there weren't clubs, Interscope, or Eminem-- not Shook Ones.

Ya well dude, if you're going to ante up into the conversation, why don't you offer something other than "just believe me because I say so." Plz explain one song that had even close to the vibe and, more importantly, sound of that song and that was as popular as that track was.

For the record, I bought the Infamous the week it dropped. I was around for this and saw what that record did to people. It made people mean and crazy. That's true shit. I actually saw people's demeanor change after listening to the Infamous.

The Smif N Wessun album dropped about 3 months before 'The Infamous' and I think 'Bucktown' came out before 'Shook Ones pt II'. 'Throw Your Guns In the Air' by Onyx preceded both by about two years. This was slow and grimey stuff. 'Shook Ones' may arguably have taken this sound one step further but I agree with DM, the sound was already out there.

yalls ears are not werkin rite. dah shinin (which is the name of the album you are speaking on), is an upbeat album. even the gun talk is slightly sarcastic. it is nowhere near the level of shook ones. please listen to "let's get it on" and then "shook ones" in succession. (let alone bucktown. are you fucking kidding me? those dudes were working off of brand nubian's boilerplate...they sampled "just the two of us" on that record...)

onyx were discovered...shit i can't remember by who right now....as a dance troupe in a bar in jamaica queens. they wore platform shoes and danced to disco tracks. true story. they are not mobb deep status. again, satire and marketing. "slam is on, get to the floor!" shook ones was a whole different level. keep it coming.

you are both wrong. deal. mobb deep invented a sound that has been as important to modern day commercial rap as anything else that came from the 90s including biggie and scarface.

To further beat a dead horse, you comparing 'Let's Get It On' with 'Shook Ones' is like me comparing 'Hellucination' with 'Drink Away the Pain'. A lot of that Smif N Wessun album was very dark and grimy. And slow paced. Maybe Mobb Deep were darker (debatable) but it wasn't a new sound. It was a slight darkening of an established sound.

Now, I promise this is my last word on the matter:

Conclusion: Mobb Deep were influential but not revolutionary.

I have dealth. Now it is you who must deal.
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 am
shambhala

imma let extra p speak for himself here.

IT MAKES ME LAUGH TO MY STOMACH & HEAD HURT HOW PEOPLE ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKIN IN THINK THEY KNOW ME OR MOBB DEEP. YOU CAN ARGUE TO THE SUN BURN OUT ABOUT WICH ALBUM IS BETTER AND NOBODY WILL WIN CAUSE EACH ALBUM IS ITS OWN INDIVIDUAL. WHEN WE MAKE AN ALBUM ITS LIKE WE GIVING BIRTH TO A CHILD AND WE CANT PICK FAVORITES, WE LOVE EM ALL THE SAME. NOW IF YOU FEEL THAT I'M 100 TIMES BETTER THEN THIS ONE OR THAT ONE , THEN HEY,,, THATS YA OPINION AND I THANK YOU FOR FEELIN THAT WAY ABOUT ME BUT THERE ARE 100'S OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE AND EVERYBODY DONT SHARE THE SAME OPINION AS YOU. PERSONALY I DONT FEEL I'M BETTER THEN ANYBODY, I JUST DO WHAT I DO TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND KEEP IT MOVING.
YES WE ALL KNOW THAT MOBB DEEP BEEN BANGIN OUT FIRE CLASSICS WAY BEFORE 5 AND G-UNIT, AND WHEN 5 WAS JUST STARTING HIS CAREER BEFORE HE GOT WITH SHADY AND DR. DRE, HAVOC WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO SEE THE POTENTIAL IN HIM AND WAS QUICK TO REACH OUT AND DO MUSIC WITH HIM.
("bump that"-"pop those things") BUT WHEN 50 FINALLY GOT A BREAK AND GOT ON, HE BLEW WAY FASTER, BIGGER AND WITH MUCH MORE STAR POWER THEN MOBB DEEP. THE BOY SOLD WELL OVER 11 MILLION RECORDS ON HIS FIRST ALBUM ALONE. YOU CAN "hate it or love it". THEN WHEN 50 PLACED HIS SELF WHERE HE NEEDED TO BE, THE NIGGA REACHED BACK FOR HAVOC AND POURED HIS HEART AND SOUL OUT TO US AND LET US KNOW HOW SINCERE AND SERIOUS HE WAS ABOUT HIM BEING A FAN OF MOBB DEEP, HOW WE INSPIRED HIM TO DO WHAT HE DO AND HOW HE WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE WERE STRAIGHT FINACIALLY AND STRAIGHT AS FAR AS OUR CAREER AND HAVING A HOME (label) THAT GAVE A FUCK ABOUT OUR MUSIC. AFTER WE ALL REALIZED WE WERE ALL ON THE SAME PAGE AND WHILE HE WAS FILMING "get rich or die tryin" WE DID OVER 40 SONGS TOGETHER , HE BOUGHT US 2 RARE PORSCHES, PUT A BILLBOARD OF MOBB DEEP ON TOP OF A BUILDING IN THE "piggy bank" VIDEO, PUT US ON THE "outta control" REMIX ON HIS MASSACRE RE-RELEASE ALBUM AND WE SHOT THE VIDEO FOR IT, PUT US ON A FEW SONGS FOR THE "get rich or die tryin" MOVIE SOUNDTRACK AND PUT US IN SOME OF THE VIDEOS FOR SONG WE WASN'T EVEN ON, BROUGHT US WITH HIM ON THE "anger managment" AND "massacre" WORLD TOUR AND LET US PERFORM 2 SONGS EVERY NIGHT, AND BROUGHT US TO EVERY ONE OF HIS MOVIE PREMEIRS AROUND THE WORLD AND TOLD US TO HOG THE CAMERA AND LIME LIGHT....ALL BEFORE WE EVEN INKED THE DEAL. WE WERE STILL NEGOTIATING WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING.
AS FAR AS NIGGAS HATIN ON 5, WHOEVER GOT ANYTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT HIM YOU JUST A IGNORANT SMALL MINDED MU' FUCKA WIT TUNNEL VISION.
YES "50 IS THE NEW TOP DOG AND WE THE NEW UNDER DOGS". NOW ASK ME IF I GIVE A FUCC HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT ME SAYING THAT.
YES "50 CENT SAVED ME NOT JESUS CHRIST" CAUSE I DONT BELIEVE IN THE EUROPEAN BELIEF SYSTEM .IM A VERY SPIRITUAL PERSON WITH MY OWN CONNECTION WITH THE UNIVERSE AND MY CREATOR. AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THAT 50 SAVED ME FROM. YOUR JUST ASSuming THAT I MEAN 50 CENT IS MY GOD. ANY REAL NIGGA WOULD KNOW THAT PRODIGY IS WAY TOO INTELLIGENT AND EXTREMLY TOO MUCH OF A VETERAN AND A REBEL TO MEAN THAT I PRAY TO CURTIS JACKSON WHEN I SAID THAT LINE.
YOU DONT DESERVE TO BE A MOBB DEEP FAN TO EVER LET A THOUGHT LIKE THAT RUN PASSED YA LITTLE BRAIN.
YOU DONT KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT OUR TATTOOES AND DONT NEED TO KNOW CAUSE THATS OUR PERSONAL FAMILY BUISNESS BUT I'LL SHARE THE INFORMATION WITH YOU CAUSE I'M COOL TYPE A NIGGA.
I WAS THE FIRST TO GET THE G-UNIT TAT ON MY HAND BECAUSE I WANTED TO EXPRESS MY LOVE AND LOYALTY TO MY NEW FAMILY MEMBERS AND TO THE WORLD. I WANTED PEOPLE TO SEE HOW REAL IT IS EVEN IF YOU WAS JUST ON THE OUT LOOKIN IN. THAT WAS MY WAY OF SHOWIN ALL THAT THIS NEW JOINING OF FORCES WAS NOT A FLUKE. AFTER I GOT IT, WE WERE ALL CHILLIN BACKSTAGE BEFORE A SHOW AND WITHOUT ME TRYIN TO MAKE PEOPLE SEE IT, THE NIGGA 5 GLANCED AT MY HAND AND NOTICED IT. HE WAS STUCK FOR A COUPLE MINUTES AND GAVE ME THE LOOK LIKE "i know thats not what i'm seeing,,word?" WITHOUT SAYIN NONE OF THAT. LATER ON, REAL LATE THAT NIGHT I WAS BORED IN THE HOTEL SO I WALKED OUTSIDE TO ONE OF THE TOUR BUSES TO SEE IF ANY BODY WAS UP AND IN THERE, AND WHAT DO I SEE....THE NIGGA 5 WAS ON THE BUS GETTIN MOBB DEEP TATTED ON HIS WRIST. I COULD TELL HE WAS UPSET A LIL CAUSE HE PROB WANTED TO SUPRISE ME WITH IT THE NEXT DAY, BUT I WAS STILL VERY SUPRISED AND FELT HONORED THAT HE WAS EXPRESSING AND SHOWING THE SAME LOVE AND LOYALTY. IT WASN'T UNTIL LIKE 3-4 DAYS LATER WHEN HAVOC GOT HIS G-UNIT TAT. TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I WASN'T EXPECTING 5 TO GET MOBB DEEP OR HAVOC TO GET THE UNIT...I WAS JUST BEING MYSELF AND DOING WHAT I WANTED TO DO. IF THEY DIDN'T GET IT, IT WOULD HAVE ALL BEEN THE SAME TO ME.
MOBB DEEP/P WILL ALWAYS BE AHEAD OF THE GAME, LEADERS AND TRENDSETTERS I AM WHO I AM AND BEEN THE SAME FOR THE PASSED 33 YEARS, THERES NO WAY IN HELL, HEAVEN OR EARTH THAT YOU CAN CHANGE P. MY WAYS ARE SET, EMBEDED AND WRITTEN IN STONE. THE WAY I THINK, ACT, WALK, TALK, DRESS AND CARRY MYSELF WILL NOW AND FOREVER BE UNIQUE, SPECIAL AND ONE OF A KIND.
AND THE MUSIC THAT I MAKE IS A REFLECTION OF ALL THAT, SO STOP PRETENDING TO KNOW ME MORE THEN I KNOW MYSELF. STOP ACTING LIKE YOU WALK IN MY SHOES AND YOU KNOW WHAT MAKES PRODIGY TIC CAUSE LITTLE BOY,,,,, YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

YOU NEED TO SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION, OR TURN ME OFF AND WALK AWAY CAUSE IF YOU NOT FEELIN IT, THEN IT'S NOT FOR YOU.
PRODIGY
HEAD.NIGGA.IN.CHARGE.pt.2
p.s. GO RUN AND TELL NAS MY ALBUM WAS CALLED h.NIGGA.i.c. BACK IN 2000 .........HE LATE
AND REMEMBER,,,NOBODY DO 11 CLASSICs IN A ROW

JUVENILE HELL (yes it still counts...we broke ground wit this shit)
INFAMOUS
HELL ON EARTH
MURDA MUSIC
H.N.I.C.
INFAMY
FREE AGENTS (still counts even tho it's a mix-cd cause it's so dope)
AMERIKAS NIGHTMARE
BLOOD MONEY
RETURN OF THE MAC (still counts even tho it's a mix-cd cause it's so dope)
H.N.I.C.pt.2

PEOPLE SPEAKING ON SHIT THEY DONT KNOW ABOUT AND ACTING LIKE THEY INFAMOUS / G-UNIT RAP EXPERTS IS THE SADDEST SHIT IN HIP HOP HISTORY. PLEASE STOP IT RIGHT NOW AND FIND ANOTHER HOBBY CAUSE YA NOT THE WORLDS FOREMOST AUTHORITY ON MOBB DEEP. thank yew

TRENDS PRODIGY HAS SET SINCE 1992 AND STILL IS SETTING IN 2008 AND BEYOND:

#1 TATTOO'S ON MY CHEST, ARMS AND HAND SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OLD

#2 RAPPING WORDS THAT DONT ALWAYS RHYME

#3 PUTTING WORDS TOGETHER THAT DONT RHYME AND MAKING THEM RHYME "big guns down in santa barbray, my crew do it the mobb way every day, crime pay who wanna gun play thrill me. niggas kill me grillin me you wanna look peep the 9 milly now undress you know the drilly. niggas suspect weak links pose threat, i have yet to met challenger who go against my set"

#4 CUSTOM MADE JEWELERY INSTEAD OF THE POPULAR MOLDS.

#5 HOW I FOLD MY BANDANA

#6 CUSTOM MADE FOOTBALL JERSEYS WIT HENNESSY and E&J ON EM'

#7 CREATING AND MAKING SLANG POPULAR LIKE ,,,,,, KIKO, CUZZO, VULTURES, BOGIES, HENNY ROCK, NOTTY HEAD, HEAD SPIN (head), BACK SPIN (pussy)

#8 MADE DRINKIN HENNESSY, E&J, LIME BACARDI, 151 POPULAR (nothin to be proud of)

#9 SAMPLING MUSIC FROM THE MOVIE SCARFACE,,,,,NOBODY DID IT BEFORE ME..NOT THE MUSIC

#10 SAMPLING MAFIA MUSIC -"crime connections" MOBB DEEP feat. CORMEGA,,,,L.E.S. BIT MY SHIT WHEN HAV LEFT MY MAFIA CD'S IN A NAS SESSION. THEN YOU HEAR SHIT LIKE "affermitive action"

#11 FIRST RAPPER WIT TATS ON MY FINGERS AND MY WHOLE NECK DONE

#12 PROTOOLS,,,,STARTED USING IT IN 98

#13 MURDA MUSIC,,EVERYBODY USES MY BLOOD SPLASH NOW

#14 WE MADE DOING SONGS FOR CHICKS COOL FOR STREET NIGGAS

#15 EVERYBODY WANNA USE THE WORD INFAMOUS NOW......THERES ONLY ONE INFAMOUS ON THE PLANET AND THATS THE INFAMOUS MOBB DEEP. WHOEVER ELL'S IS TRULY PLAYING THEYSELF. COME BETTER. I DONT SEE YOU CALLIN YA SELF NOTORIOUS,,,SO DONT USE OUR SHIT...YOU LOOK AND SOUND STUPID.

#16 ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE CALLIN THEY SELF A MOBB WIT 2 B'S,,,,,YOU ARE A EXTRA DICK RIDER. I CREATED THE 2 B SHIT JUST SO WE COULD STAND OUT,,,PLEASE STOP IT.

#17 THIS BELONGS AT THE TOP,,,,,,,,,PRODIGY AND HAVOC. AFTER ME AND HAV NAMES WERE IN THE SOURCE UN-SIGNED HYPE COLUM, THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME OUR NAMES WERE EVER PRINTED AND OUTTA NOWHERE POP'S UP A prodijee and havik from the west coast????????? THEM NIGGA BIT OUR NAMES...THERES NO WAY IN THE UNIVERSE THAT SOMEBODY ELL'S COULD PUT THOSE 2 NAMES TOGETHER BY COINCEDENCE. TOTALY IMPOSSIBLE. WE BUMPED INTO THEM NIGGAS AT JACK THE RAPPER IN ATLANTA BACK IN 93 AND WE STEPPED TO THEM. ASK D.J. PREMEIR, GURU, LIL DAP, 40GLOCC AND A GANG OF OTHER WITNESSES THAT SAW THE CONFRONTATION. THEM NIGGAS WAS SHOOK.

#18 TIMBERLAND BOOTS...THESE RACIST FUCC'S OWE US MILLIONS. THEY NEVER DO AD'S USING BLACK PEOPLE OR RAPPERS AS MUCH AS WE PROMOTED THEY SHIT.

#19 WEB SITES, I HAD INFAMOUSSTORES.COM AND WAS WRITING BLOGS BACK IN 99 LONG BEFORE IT BECAME POPULAR IN HIP HOP TO HAVE A WEB SITE.

#20 PUTTIN THE VIDEO ON THE NET BEFORE PEOPLE EVEN HEAR THE SONG ON MIX-CD'S OR RADIO. MAC 10 HANDLE WAS THE FIRST VIDEO TO HIT THE NET FIRST, AND THE FIRST TIME SOMEBODY SHOT A BIG VIDEO FOR A MIX-CD PERIOD.

#21 NO MORE JEWELERY, RIMS, OR LIFESTYLE OF THE BEAST. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING, LOOK AT WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE.

#22 NO MORE FLASHY, DANCY, RADIO FREINDLY , CLUB SONGS..HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING, LOOK AT WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE.

#23 MAKING EXPOSING THE ILLUMINATI, SECRET GOVERNMENT AND HIDDEN TRUTHS THAT NEW HOT SHIT... PEOPLE DO IT, BUT NOT LIKE P. I BEEN DOIN IT SINCE 96... JUST LISTEN TO MY BEATS AND HOW I MAKE THIS SHIT SO THAT THE REAL HOOD NIGGAS CAN GET INTO IT.... THESE FAGGOT CONCIOUS RAPPERS WILL NEVER REACH THE CROWED OF KILLERS THAT I REACH....HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING, LOOK AT WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE.

#24 I MAKE OLD WASHED UP RAPPERS WANNA GO BACK IN THE STUDIO AND DO IT ONE MORE TIME!! THESE DUSTY, RUSTY, RETIRED RAP NIGGAS GET THAT OLD FEELING BACK WHEN THEY HEAR MY MUSIC AND SEE HOW I DONT STOP... ITS HILLARIOUS TO HEAR AND SEE THEM TRY TO KEEP IT COMING LIKE ME. WE NOT THE SAME HOMEBOY!!,,,,WHATS EVEN MORE FUNNY IS THE CONCIOUS RAPPERS THAT GET HYPE CAUSE THEY HEAR MY LYRICS AND THEY BE LIKE "yes our time is here" BUT NO YA TIME IS NOT! WE NOT THE SAME HOMEBOY!! YOU NOT A REBEL SOLDIER....YOU NOT A INSURGENT.. PLEASE....GO HOME

#25 DEMEROL, MORPHINE, HEROINE RAP'S,,,,,I STARTED SAYIN ALL THIS CAUSE I WRITE RHYME WHILE IM SICK IN THE HOSPITAL ACTUALLY GETTIN THESE DRUGS... SAYIN YA SHIT IS LIKE CRACK, COKE ANS WHAT HAVE YOU I STARTED DOING THAT BACK ON D.J. CLUE MIX TAPES FIRST TIME WAS ON THE MOTHERLESS CHILD BEAT...ME AND TY-NITTY

#26 I COULD JUST KEEP GOING BUT NOW I'M TIRED... HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING, LOOK AT WHAT I BRING TO THE TABLE.

dont care if you hate my truth.. WHAT WHAT WHAT!
out
Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 am
the contortionist

I just think its nice that through it all Prodigy has managed to remain modest and humble.
Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 am
shambhala

yes those attributes are crucial for a rapper to possess
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:03 am
AdamBomb

Yes! Prodigy needs to have his own blog. That whole thing is classic.

Quote:

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY TREND SETTING

Quote:

WHATS EVEN MORE FUNNY IS THE CONCIOUS RAPPERS THAT GET HYPE CAUSE THEY HEAR MY LYRICS AND THEY BE LIKE "yes our time is here" BUT NO YA TIME IS NOT!
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:14 am
kese

prodigy is not extra p.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:30 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shambhala

apologies to the pro. slip up.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:53 am
Buddy Peace

I loved that blog bit when I first saw it. Him and Vast Aire could redesign the entire world with their caps locks. Prodigy's mugshot makes it all the more fun.

I would say in conclusion that a Shook One is a wannabe thug with fake pain.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:11 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

what do you all think about the album Murda Muzik ?
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Still waiting on a response from Box Johnson.
Don't be scurred. I just wanna know how my opinion on the matter was intellectually lazy.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am
Confidential

HE COULD HAVE ADDED 1-900 NUMBERS WITH TRUE LIFE CRIME STORIES FROM THE HOOD ON THE INSIDE COVER OF THE ALBUM.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:53 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Sage Francis wrote:
Don't be scurred. I just wanna know how my opinion on the matter was intellectually lazy.

I think that he was mocking me, rather than actually calling you intellectually lazy. I could be wrong, though. That's how I read it at first, though.

Edit: On second reading, nah he was calling you intellectually lazy.
Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:36 pm
box johnson

Sage Francis wrote:

I don't have a clue where I was going with that.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7