View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

why do 'whites' not identify with their culture as much as  Reply with quote  

other races
we were talking about this last night
any thoughts on the subject?

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:01 am
jstile

Thanks, grammar is important!

I think you do identify your culture, but as white is the cultural norm it is difficult for you to see what it is you are identifying with.

If you are asking why white people have a tendency to co-opt other people's cultural heritage... well it's just what we do. The white man is a cultural thief. That's part of his culture. And why do this over accepting our own culture? White guilt maybe. The struggle for difference in homogeneity. The exoticisation of the Other. There's a lot written about this kind of thing.

There's a huge amount to say on this subject, and we've covered a lot of it before. And in starting this thread, there's now two race threads going on at the same time. All we need to do is get a Kanye one going and it'll be like 2007 again!

Last edited by jstile on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 am
Reggie

WHat aspects of "white culture" should I be embracing?
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:08 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Reggie wrote:

are you german irish etc etc ?
couldnt think of another way to put it
seems to me like all of my 'white' friends arent into there ancestrys culture

meanwhile my puerto rican friends take pride in all that and brought more of there familys culture and adopt it into the 'american lifestyle'

etc etc
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:13 am
futuristxen

jstile wrote:

I think you do embrace your culture, but as white is the cultural norm it is difficult for you to see what it is you are embracing.

If you are asking why white people have a tendency to co-opt other people's cultural heritage... well it's just what we do. The white man is a cultural thief. That's part of his culture.

There's a huge amount to say on this subject, and we've covered a lot of it before. And in starting this thread, there's now two race threads going on at the same time. All we need to do is get a Kanye one going and it'll be like 2007 again!

This is everything I was going to touch upon, but probably half as snarky as I was going to write it.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

for example im french(quebec) candian and german
i know nothing of either sides traditions what my family went through to get to the states who married who from where etc etc
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

futuristxen wrote:
jstile wrote:

I think you do embrace your culture, but as white is the cultural norm it is difficult for you to see what it is you are embracing.

If you are asking why white people have a tendency to co-opt other people's cultural heritage... well it's just what we do. The white man is a cultural thief. That's part of his culture.

This is everything I was going to touch upon, but probably half as snarky as I was going to write it.

why dont we take pride in our own culture and feel the need to co opt others without understanding our own i dont get it

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am
anomaly
Loserface

because we're mutts.

I for example am Irish, Dutch, and Apache. I can't keep up w/ all those holidays.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am
jstile

futuristxen wrote:
jstile wrote:

Haha thanks Sarah, it's getting pretty easy to drill out a standard response to race related threads these days.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:20 am
jstile

mortalthoughts wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
jstile wrote:

why dont we take pride in our own culture and feel the need to co opt others without understanding our own i dont get it

There's no easy answer to this, look back at my 2nd edit for some stuff to look into. Read bell hooks' "Eating the Other", that'll give you something to think about.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 am
Reggie

mortalthoughts wrote:
Reggie wrote:

are you german irish etc etc ?
couldnt think of another way to put it
seems to me like all of my 'white' friends arent into there ancestrys culture

meanwhile my puerto rican friends take pride in all that and brought more of there familys culture and adopt it into the 'american lifestyle'

etc etc

I think this might be something specific to your circle. There are plenty of second- and third-generation Euros who identify with the culture of their motherland. Or, at the very least, a cartoonish misrepresentation of that culture (see: guidos).
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:24 am
redball

Come to NJ, Mortalthoughts. We'll have a few beers and I'll prove to you that white people own up to their heritage just fine.

We can start the day with a bagel from a Russian Jewish deli (any deli in Fairlawn will do. Then we'll have Italian for lunch at one of the local places (Vito's on a weekday, but Anthony Franco's on the weekend). For dinner and drinks we can have Polish down at the Royal Warsaw.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 am
futuristxen

I'm mostly scottish. My grandfather got his citizenship in the Bantaam Death Marches. Got over here. Made kids. They made kids. He died. That's my history. We never really celebrated any scottish traditions. But whenever I see anything scottish I do take a little pride in it. Like I'll root for the Scottish football team.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 am
jstile

Oh yeh, also, anyone who thinks that 'whiteness' is a non-identity should read 'White' by Richard Dyer.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 am
cakes

i read an article once that claimed americans will never have a true ethnicity/culture. perhaps they are trying to relate to their american "mutt" culture. some immigrants who were able to "blend" when they lost their accents and spoke english felt the need to embrace being an american because that had been their goal.

my grandfather changed his last name and refused to speak any polish. kids my age i've spoken with don't dare lose it. my cousin may change his name back. depends on the generation and what being an american means at the time.

i think immigrants can get stuck in the middle because if you don't speak german anymore, some germans may not see you as german. at least in poland that's how that goes. you lose the language, you're kinda out. but you can still care about the country and eat the food and follow traditions. it's what you identify with and it's not something that has to be so apparent. if you want to learn more about your ancestry, then go for it.

i eat pierogi and say "kochanie" instead of "sweetie", but when it comes down to it, my grandfather was polish, but i'm an american.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next