Search
Register
Atheists; the most hated group in America?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MF Noob

Atheists; the most hated group in America?  Reply with quote  

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/research-finds-that-atheists-are-most-hated-and-distrusted-minority/

Intolerance is a bitter beast. There are many groups in America that are subject to discrimination and prejudice, but none are more hated than atheists. Research conducted a couple years ago at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis found that atheists are more distrusted than muslims or homosexuals in the US.

Austin Cline from about.com writes, “Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It’s not just that atheists are hated, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.

The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than “Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in ’sharing their vision of American society.’ Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.” The results from two of the most important questions”

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society…

Atheist: 39.6%

Muslims: 26.3%

Homosexuals: 22.6%

Hispanics: 20%

Conservative Christians: 13.5%

Recent Immigrants: 12.5%

Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group….

Atheist: 47.6%

Muslim: 33.5%

African-American 27.2%

Asian-Americans: 18.5%

Hispanics: 18.5%

Jews: 11.8%

Conservative Christians: 6.9%

Whites: 2.3%

The degree of this intolerance is a bit surprising. My experience has taught me that atheists tend to be very intelligent, thoughtful people with a high standard of ethics that they carry through to their everyday lives.

So why the fear, why the hatred? This situation is not the norm for most of the planet. Most East and South Asian countries don’t exhibit this fear of atheists or agnostics. In fact, many of these countries have a significant portion of their population that does not believe in any deity.

European countries have large portions of the population that are atheist. There is not the mass discrimination there based on one’s freedom to believe or not to believe. About the only places in the world that tend to have intolerant attitudes are nations with strong monotheistic cultures, such as both latin and anglo America, and the Islamic countries (particularly Turkey).

Considering that atheist nations are more peaceful, it seems particularly odd that there would be a predilection towards animosity towards atheists. When one group is being discriminated against, it detracts from the freedoms of every group. A society based on tolerance must support the rights of minority groups, including atheists.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:53 pm
futuristxen

I find this a bit hard to believe. But maybe I'm ignorant. Do people get murdered or assaulted often for being atheist?
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:57 pm
MF Noob

I find it hard to believe too, but maybe they're the most feared rather than hated? Or they creep people out the most? It's not likely that there are many hate crimes committed on Atheists as much as there are on a lot of those other groups.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:01 pm
redball

The numbers presented represent the amount of people who dislike atheists. They don't rank the amount of hatred that the individual feels.

My personal experience backs this up. I've met racists and homophobes, but I've met far more people who inject their religion into everything, talk down to me when they find out my beliefs, or express animosity and distrust of atheists. Rarely do they hate atheists, especially not to the degree that racists or homophobes hate others. They just don't like them.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:11 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I have found a lot of atheists to be just as stupid and bull headed as christians, they just think they are cooler.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:39 pm
MF Noob

With just cause, my friend. Just cause!
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:43 pm
marshall84

Hellen Earth wrote:
I have found a lot of atheists to be just as stupid and bull headed as christians, they just think they are cooler.

Sooooo, you're a Christian, then?
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm
Sarcastro

you gotta wonder what kind of survey this was though, because if it's just "This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society?" and it basically says choose all that apply, and while they're ticking off homos and blacks they think to themselves how horrible this'll make them look (even though it's an anonymous survey) so they click off atheists too, just to be like, ya I hate all these people, but I love god, so shove it.

it's easy to say you hate atheists, no one fights for them, even most atheists don't give a fuck if you say you hate them, half the reason they're atheist is because they don't care.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:58 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Hellen Earth wrote:

I always thought that every single atheist was smarter and more understanding than every single Christian. Thanks for clearing that up. What an incredible addition to the conversation.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Plum Puddin'

the mean wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

I always thought that every single atheist was smarter and more understanding than every single Christian. Thanks for clearing that up. What an incredible addition to the conversation.

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:17 pm
Plum Puddin'

Double trouble.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:19 pm
Hellen Earth

Huh?

Not believing in god is silly...like believing in god.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:30 pm
Hellen Earth

definitely not a christian, btw.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:31 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

i believe in nothing , from now on

goodnight
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
futuristxen

Athiests can tend to be a bit antagonistic, especially toward christianity. It's understandable, but it is a bit of a bore. I think to be an athiest you do sort of have to care enough to develop that point, generally.

I think agnostics are much easier dinner company.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next