Search
Register
Swine Flu Vaccine
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MYOWNCLICHE

Swine Flu Vaccine  Reply with quote  

Swine Flu Vaccine. Who is going to get it? Who isn't and why?
I am undecided..I don't even get the regular flu shot. I'm leaning towards not getting it. Work is making it mandatory and I've been reported. But what about my 7 year old son.. ...if I am nervous about it how can I make him? I've gotten mixed reactions from doctors not very reassuring. Vegans..what are you going to do?
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:29 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

I know I'm not terribly concened about H1N1, nor am I particular keen on what I feel like MUST be an under-tested vaccine. The only thing I see about this whole H1N1 situation as legitimate is as like a dry-run for an actual, worrisome global pandemic. But honestly, the darker side of me says we could really use one of those and I also feel like if I personally am weak enough to be one of those culled by the virus in such an event then that is how it's supposed to work and so be it.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm
Plum Puddin'

medicineman wrote:
I know I'm not terribly concened about H1N1, nor am I particular keen on what I feel like MUST be an under-tested vaccine. The only thing I see about this whole H1N1 situation as legitimate is as like a dry-run for an actual, worrisome global pandemic.

this.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm
Inedible Condiment

I'ma get it because I work at a hospital, and so am most definitely going to come into close contact with H1N1 (I'm sure I already have). Also, I'm right in this flu's wheelhouse, I'm 26, and so that makes me want to get the vaccine. Generally I don't get flu shots because I rarely ever get sick, but I'm not going to fuck with this one because it kills the healthiest segment of the population, and I see that as a worse fate than any/most complications that would arise from a vaccine.
Maybe I'm a sheep though.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

work is "making" you get it? forced immunization? where do you work? the vaccine from what i understand only protects from one form of H1N1, not the many mutated strands of it. Do you really want to put mercury into your body?
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:14 am
mzehe916

mercury is harmless

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 am
mancabbage

99.999% sure i had swine flu already, I was ill as hell for about three days then had a cough i couldn't shake for about a month, at the time i had got myself wrecked the day before it all started so assumed it was part of a bad hangover, a bunch of people i know have had it aswell, not much to worry about really
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:24 am
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

you're right. the vaccine is more harmful than the actual flu. just take care of yourself and you'll be ok.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

hell no.

I do not trust any vaccine, let alone one that was developed as quickly as this one. You can't tell me they had ample testing. On a similar note, I also think mandatory immunization is bogus, but I think there is a way around it for school kids- ask mr. or mrs. icarus.

Get enough good food, exercise to ward off stress, vitamin D, sleep and wash your hands often.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 am
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

actually this vaccine has been developed since 2007. makes you wonder right? and im pretty sure the school systems spin the vaccination process and say they are "required". but you are not forced by law to get the shots.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 am
cakes

Inedible Condiment wrote:
I'ma get it because I work at a hospital.
this. at least, i did chose to get the regular one, but i also work with sick elderly individuals who often have weaker immune systems than myself. last year was the first time i did this. in the end, my arm hurt for a day or so, i felt nauseated for less than an hour the day after, and then i made it through the winter with only a few days of feeling cruddy despite taking the subway every day and working at the hospital. You can’t straight up say that it’s definitely worse than the actual flu every time. Though, what do you really mean by worse?

usually if work "makes" you get it, at least with the flu shot, it means that if you choose not to, you have to sign and acknowledge that it was offered. they do "mandate" other vaccines at some jobs though, especially those in healthcare. i have to get a TB test every year and had to prove my Hep B (or get) and MMR before I started working. though, i'm not sure of procedure if you're not ok with it. it’s not just yourself that you could potentially be putting at risk with some of those nasty critters. You could feel fewer symptoms, but still be carrying shit around and handing it to doorknobs. You can wash your hands and still get sick, it helps of course, but if only it were always that easy... sometimes there is very little you can do about your exposure and your body’s reaction. plus, even if you can take care of your own health, you can't always take care of those around you. for someone who cares for really sick people, the situation is different than for someone who rarely steps within sight of them. it just is.

vaccine debates will live on. personally, i'm not against them, but i'm down with doing your own research and making that choice. however, it's easier to say if you've never actually had the disease/virus. a catch 22 at times because you'll never really know.

i'm not here to argue, i just want to make sure ya'll take other perspectives into account and not just listen to one or two people on here. i don't like when people on here comman anything regarding someone's health. we're all so very different. you can have suggestions, and you can be against western medicine, and it's worth it to listen (esp to ms.icarus), but try to be open about it and not let others decide for you.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 am
ms. icarus

I am considering it for myself, since I work with pregnant women and this flu seems to be especially rough for that population. I would not otherwise consider it and I will not get it for my kids (who are, thus far, vaccine-free). Flu strains mutate rapidly, this flu could be much worse in a few years and gaining immunity to it now from getting the virus could offer some protection in the future. It's not that dangerous now, and natural immunity generally lasts longer than a vaccine. For most of us, it's just a flu. If you (or your partner) is pregnant or immune-suppressed, or you work in a hospital, etc. then I would consider it.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:54 am
Confidential

No thank you.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 am
MYOWNCLICHE

MP3D wrote:
work is "making" you get it? forced immunization? where do you work? the vaccine from what i understand only protects from one form of H1N1, not the many mutated strands of it. Do you really want to put mercury into your body?

I work in a hospital. If I get sick there will be consequences I've been told anywhere from not being able to use my pto time as sick leave, to having to get a medical release before returning to work, to not being able to work at all to signing a release that says I am aware I am putting my patients at risk... this is all just hear say so far, I haven't met with the big cheese yet and I haven't totally made up my mind yet, if I had to decide today I would say no.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm
True School Session

mancabbage wrote:
99.999% sure i had swine flu already, I was ill as hell for about three days then had a cough i couldn't shake for about a month, at the time i had got myself wrecked the day before it all started so assumed it was part of a bad hangover, a bunch of people i know have had it aswell, not much to worry about really

I think I had it already too...my wife agrees. I had a sore throat that I couldnt shake for at least 3 weeks.

I dont know why i never went to the Doc, but it eventually went away. I also had a fever for a much shorter time.

I am pretty sure I had it...it was way more than a normal flu...i have that many times.
Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next