Search
Register
Suggested readings on politics and its history.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

kese

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joshua Kane

kese wrote:

Now that's a pick. Although, I would suggest reading Schumpeter's Theory of Economic Development beforehand.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 pm
TurnpikeGates

I'd be lying if I said that cover blurb doesn't immediately prejudice me against that book.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:37 pm
Joshua Kane

TurnpikeGates wrote:
I'd be lying if I said that cover blurb doesn't immediately prejudice me against that book.

The word 'globalization' didn't exist until 40 years (or so) after Schumpeter published C,S, & D; so that gives you an idea of how relevant the blurb is to the work.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm
Windom

[/img]
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm
Joshua Kane

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:48 pm
penchant 4

he is dead

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 pm
Joshua Kane

Castells (above) will tell you how it is. Polanyi - The Great Transformation (link below) - will tell you how it was:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Great-Transformation/Karl-Polanyi/e/9780807056431/?itm=1&usri=1
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 pm
kese

Joshua Kane wrote:

^ now we're talking, that definitely looks good.

I've been thinking how most Socio-political/ economic theory seems obsolete, since the advance of modern technology.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penchant 4

LOST@ZZ

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm
Joshua Kane

penchant 4 wrote:
Wow, a lot was posted while I was typing my last post.

Okay, I am glad to have these suggestions from a bunch of intelligent people on here. But I will say that I would like to start from the beginning and move forward. I want to learn the history of the world first, as based on "facts", in whatever form, and then move onto readings that try to interpret things, and then move onto readings that deal with say, the dawn of the information age, as the one posted above.

If people see no reason for me to approach it like this, let me know. But I do feel like there needs to be some sort of continuity of knowledge for me to really be getting out of these books what I should be.

Your problem will be this: There is no 'one history'. History, like time itself, is relative and fragmented, based entirely upon one's perspective and positioning. Therefore, your path to understanding 'history' should and shall be your path alone. No one can plan it for you; you must make and take the journey for yourself, using the signposts you find in your environment along the way.

Some of the signposts in this thread will surely help no doubt, but they, and any advice you receive from others, will remain nothing more than options for your perusal (or not) as you come to understand history and the world, and what it all means to you, from your own personal perspective and position.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:09 pm
cakes

penchant 4 wrote:
I don't think my body actually ever relaxes and I suppose a mind cannot relax in a tense body.
that's a bingo. if you're not the kind of person to go to a yoga class, i really suggest trying acupunture. i'm kinda sorta in love with it. i don't go for insomnia, but i know it's pretty common and i know it's helped the issues i've had tremendously. it's a great way to force yourself to focus on relaxation too. being aware of the tension in your body is huge for general wellness. breathing exercises that may sound cheesy really do make a difference. may not cure the insomnia, but should at least help you feel a bit less tense so you can absorb what you're interested in exploring.

i think insomnia often has a number of different causes. worth looking into different factors, like evaluating your activity and diet. i'm sure you've most likely gone through a lot of it all, but just in case, it's def a place to start. people do find relief.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:13 pm
note1

My knowledge of history has mostly been pieced together from sugar packets.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm
Captiv8

It seems to me that you're lacking proper direction, Penchant. You have a general idea of what you want to do, and what the issues are, but it's like your mind is still caught in some kind of miasma of tense thoughts. You definitely need something to help you relax, and Cakes posted some great suggestions to that end. I know the feeling of having a mind exploding with all kinds of thoughts when trying to sleep, so I can imagine how rough it is to endure that for a sustained period of time. Any kind of meditation, just something where you reduced your awareness down to the self, would be beneficial. It seems like you're trying to tackle too much mentally. For me making lists works a good deal. When I have a ton of shit to do I have trouble sleeping because I'm thinking about it all and trying not to forget anything. If I write it down I know I won't forget it, so I can relax.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 pm
Confidential

penchant 4 wrote:

So I guess in the end I would also like to ask people if they have any suggestions about what the hell I could possibly try doing to sleep. .

find a sweat lodge, be sober when you go. You'll sleep well that night. I think you need counseling, I'm saying this because I've been in a place where the world kept me up and it is going to take work to get to where the whole history of the world and politics doesn't fall on you alone. You will have to set manageable goals, with your reading list, painting, etc so you can measure your progress.

On another note I have a request for yall:
Anybody by chance have chapter one of Alain Badiou's Polemics. I need a PDf of the chapter on the Paris Commune with citations.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next