Search
Register
Suggested readings on politics and its history.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

penchant 4

Suggested readings on politics and its history.  Reply with quote  

PNTLSSZ~!

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:58 pm
TurnpikeGates

I think you're on the wrong track. All you're ever going to get is interpretations. The best path is to find where interpretations converge on something resembling a "fact."

My experience is that left/critical sources offer more satisfactory and logical explanations of generally-accepted facts. I'm not sure why you'd want to shelter yourself from sources that are "too liberal." Your general information/news/history-via-osmosis is an inherently elite, status quo-justifying perspective, just by living in a society where the means of communication are controlled by people with social power.

Don't try to look for "unbiased" sources, because those that end up looking like they stick to the 'facts' will probably end up being those that use conventional frames to explain history to make the present look correct and inevitable. Once you get into serious historical scholarship, you don't see as much controversy over basic facts, but a struggle of high-level theory to explain the whole course of events.

My point is there's no good reason to quit reading shit like Zinn, et al.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:51 pm
Confidential

Dude, get some rest. You're all over the place. How old are you?

There are catholics who have taken up the peoples' struggle, like Father Roy Bourgeois in the U.S. and Oscar Romero in El Salvador. And you seem to be distancing yourself from dogmatic catholicism but then you don't want to get into anything overly "liberal." Well as far as politics goes, liberalism carries a different meaning in contemporary US politics from its origional philosophy/political economy. So if you are looking for an alternative point of view, then don't be sheepish about claiming the left, if that's where you are at right now. Objective history doesn't really exist to me. The staff at your library should be able to help you with searches. Books on history and politics are making an argument based on archives, historical narratives, etc, however, the way that the authors approach or interpret their "evidence" will determine their results, as will their particular ideological and political standpoint. they are all biased and if they are claim to simply report unbiased facts or objectivity, then that is the sign that they are even more biased and probably reinforcing the power structure.

Anyway, here are some suggestions.
Michel Rolph Trouillot- Silencing the Past
Massimo de Angelis- The Beginning of History
Ward S. Albro- To Die on Your Feet

You'd probably like anything by Noam Chomsky.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:01 pm
TurnpikeGates

Oh yeah, and like Confidential said, if you're not totally burnt out on Catholicism, it's a big enough umbrella to contain some pretty cool things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

Not sure whether that's a positive consequence of Catholic theology, or if it's the only viable way of introducing radical ideology in places (like much of Latin America) that live and breathe the Church.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

emma goldman "anarchism and other essays"
the noam chomsky reader

are two good places to start

other good ones are

"shock doctrine" naomi klein
"confessions of an economic hitman"

i would say the emma goldman is a great entry point.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 pm
corporateslave

I've been meaning to read "Freakonomics" for a long time, I think it might tie into that category.

Edward W. Said is the man when it comes to understanding imperialism throughout history.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 pm
kese

i'm not sure how any political history book is going to make your painting better. really being able to see what's around you right now, refocusing it through your lens. and properly conveying is what'll make better paintings.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Captiv8

I'm going to recommend a vision quest.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:04 pm
penchant 4

Ddeadddddddddd

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:24 pm
penchant 4

dueid. dioed. diejdj d\ ie \..

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:38 pm
kese

maybe you should think about becoming a poet.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tommi teardrop

You should read some fiction. 100 Years of Solitude maybe. The Stranger. Breakfast of Champions.

If you want to read the bullshit history, just buy a high school history book. The one I had when I was a junior was called The Enduring Vision. It was pretty good actually.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 am
TurnpikeGates

Ok, so I think I get where you're coming from a bit more now. I still don't get how you made it through years of schooling without a basic knowledge of history. I mean, you know about Christopher Columbus, the Declaration of Independence, the Civil War, WW2? Right? What is it that you want to know? Once you get into college-level texts, there is no baseline neutral "1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue" textbook. There are different authors who tell different narratives with different explanations and analyses of events.

I just checked my local community college's reading lists:

Western Civ:
Kidner, "Making Europe"
Berkin, "The History Handbook"
Perry, "Western Civilization:A Brief History" (parts 1 and 2, pre-1400 and post-1400)

US History:
Limerick, "The Legacy Of Conquest"
Cronon, "Changes In The Land"
Henretta, "America: A Concise History"
Bordewich, "Bound For Canaan"

Is that what you're looking for?
Why is it so important for you to learn establishment history? Did you actually have trouble understanding Zinn because of your lack of background knowledge? Or is it just a compare and contrast thing? You will learn plenty from more critical texts without getting the History 101.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:57 am
mzehe916

Tariq Ali- Clash of Fundamentalisms
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:08 am
Captiv8

Start with James Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me if you're interested in the skewed perspective of US History.

You're making a pretty tall order here, Penchant. I can't think of a database that will separate books into categories of propaganda and truth. You have to do that work yourself, and a lot of people have already made great suggestions of books that handle the latter really well. The most important thing here is to gather a knowledge base of the generally accepted facts through a constant reading of informed perspectives. Then you can analyze the information and make your own conclusions.

Take Columbus as a murdering for God gold hound slave driver as an example of a perspective that is more or less accepted as truth. How do we know this? In large part due to a priest named Bartolome de las Casas and his firsthand accounts of Columbus' activities on Hispaniola (modern day Haiti and the DR). Columbus started the encomienda system, which was basically the beginning of Manifest Destiny in that it "gave" Spanish colonists land with their very own startup kit of slaves to work it. They don't teach you that in high school because there's this desperately shortsighted need to preserve a more heroic image of America and it's founding. That's another discussion though.

So what I'm saying is that you need to find books that deal largely with primary, or firsthand, accounts of the events the book is investigating. Even these interpretations can be biased with the appropriate agenda furthering snippets presented to the reader, but that's where your own discernment comes in.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next