Search
Register
Taibbi on Healthcare reform
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

sandman00000 wrote:
What is the problem with our health care system that requires overhaulinjg/dramatic reform?

One problem is those without insurance obviously. What about those with insurance? Do those insurance policies need reform?

What else is wrong?

3/4 of people who go bankrupt due to medical expenses HAVE insurance. So yes, those with insurance are also getting fucked.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm
redball

Well, that wasn't so great.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 pm
futuristxen

redball wrote:
Well, that wasn't so great.

Why do you say that? He said basically exactly what you said all morning.

And the speech as an oratory performance was pretty spectacular. He basically summed up what american liberalism is all about in the final 5 minutes.

I thought it cut through a lot of the crap.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 pm
redball

Yeah, I liked that part. He didn't really push to give anything its teeth back. "His" plan is essentially the one Taibbi outlined, flaws and all. Thus, I think that while he agreed with me on a lot of points he also vindicated the naysayers in this thread to a great extent.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 pm
shambhala

I despise Matt Taibbi's writing style. And the fact that he only seems to be able to write about politics in a very linear way. It's like yellow journalism for stoners.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:56 pm
futuristxen

redball wrote:
Yeah, I liked that part. He didn't really push to give anything its teeth back. "His" plan is essentially the one Taibbi outlined, flaws and all. Thus, I think that while he agreed with me on a lot of points he also vindicated the naysayers in this thread to a great extent.

There's never going to be a perfect bill. The democratic process is specifically set up against it. But I think what Obama was advocating would be a HUGE deal, and affect positively a lot of lives, including my own.

I honestly don't see why the bill Obama is advocating can't get support from someone like McCain.

I thought it was smart for Obama to call out republicans who in the past have worked on healthcare, and hopefully convince them to support what at the end of the day is a very reasonable bill.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 pm
Joshua Kane

I'd say last night Obama was... better. A step in the right direction, he needs to be tougher now.
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:30 am
note1

yeah it was definetely a step in the right direction, but as we can see from the way even those impolite congressmen acted, it's all uphill from here. Anyone else wishing for Obama to take the low road right then and call that guy out? I guess it's more presidential to move on, but damn would have felt good to let him have it. Can I request mancabbage to come into this thread and call that congressmen a series of dirty english slang words? I always enjoy his insults.

Also a bit surprised redball wasn't happier with that speech. I thought that would have been just what you were asking for.
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:38 am
yourREIGNisOVER

Max fucking Baucus.

From 8/29/09:

Quote:

In a conference call with Montana Democratic central committee chairs last week, Baucus reaffirmed his stance on the most divisive issue in the health care debate. "I want a public option, too!" said the Montana Democrat.

Later, when several county chairs said they didn't want a health care system in place where private insurance companies were essentially allowed to police themselves, Baucus responded, "Neither do I."

Yesterday just before Obama's speech:

Quote:

But he made clear that the so-called "public option" would not be part of any deal with his name on it.

"The public option cannot pass the Senate," Baucus said. "I could be wrong, but it's my belief that the public option cannot pass."

This is what $2,880,631 in campaign contributions from the health care industry get us. I've emailed him and my representatives multiple times. Piece of shit. Whether futile at this point or not, let this motherfucker know that Americans need this option. Maybe his conscious will re-appear.

http://baucus.senate.gov/contact/emailForm.cfm?subj=issue
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 am
futuristxen

If you can't do the public option, why not implement something that approximates it's effect? It's clear that the word "public option" is the problem.

Like Obama said, find some kind of cost control measure to replace the public option that does what it does if you can't pass the public option.

It's not rocket science.

And there's a lot of other components to the bill that are arguably more important than the public option.
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:45 pm
Alan Hague

Once again, Dennis Kucinich reminds me why he should've been elected president:

"Dear Friends,

The President's health care policy speech was brilliant but when you get into the details another picture emerges. Unfortunately, at this point, the proposal outlined last night is the ultimate corporate giveaway. It's not health care, it’s insurance care. As many as thirty million new customers for an insurance industry which makes money not providing health care. The only way this country will see true health is by investing in real health care. That is the essence of HR676, the single payer bill.

The President opened his speech speaking of how we have solved the economic crisis - how? By rewarding those who caused the crash! Is this the way we solve the health care crisis? Rewarding the insurance companies? Helping insurance and pharmaceutical stock to soar, propping up markets while skimping on health care? The very same system which caused the health care crisis is being rewarded with the guarantee of tens of millions of new customers mandated - by law - to have health care. The latest plan rewards the very companies that have denied treatment, denied care, denied drug coverage while their profits grow daily.

The only way this country will see true sustainable economic recovery is through investment in the real economy, priming the pump through job creation. The only way this country will see true health is by investing in real health care.

The "public option" has been relegated to insignificance. What we will now get is yet another "private option", not a public option, because single-payer is "off the table." We the people deserve better. We have been faced with general warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan - multi-trillion dollar ballouts for arms merchants, $12 trillion in bailouts for Wall Street, bailouts to coal and nuclear industries, and now proposed huge subsidies for the insurance and pharmaceutical industries. What's wrong with this picture? Everything!

Please join our national conference call tonight at 1-800-230-1096. Contribute to the start up. Join the movement. Sign the online petition. We must organize for the long term success of a state and national single payer movement. I need your help to initiate this action. If you believe, as I do, that we can and must begin a new long-term state-by-state grassroots effort to create a single-payer, not-for-profit health care system, please contribute now at Kucinich.us"

For anybody interested, his petition is right here:

http://healthcare.kucinich.us/petition/
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 pm
futuristxen

If Kucinich had been the democratic nominee, we would not even be talking about healthcare, because John McCain would be president, and Sarah Palin would be vice president.

*shudder*

But yeah, Kucinich is on point as always. But I also think he's manipulating the issue as well. Yes the inusurance industry will get new customers. But they will have to better serve those customers, get taxed on the top end, and face regulation like they've never seen before.

So I'm not sure that it's a give away.

I just think the President, as he said last night, doesn't believe in tossing everything out. He wants to accentuate what works in the system, and get rid of what doesn't.
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:50 pm
Scottie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/15/obama-brings-dennis-kucin_n_499313.html

So is Kucinich the final hold out?
Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3